StudentsReview :: Florida Southern College

Describes the faculty as: Friendly, Helpful

Intelligence
D+
Campus Aesthetics/Beauty
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Major: Unknown (This Major's Salary over time)
Okay, I'll give it to you guys straight. I'm a senior biology major in my final semester and I think I have got a pretty good feel for what this school is actually like.

Pros:
-Campus is beautiful. Seriously. Flowers, gardens and unnaturally green lawns are everywhere. FLW buildings are gorgeous (but not exactly functional sometimes.)
-Staff is always available. Lots of the professors live within walking distance to the school so meeting them is not a problem, even outside of their office hours. I feel like I really got to know my advisor.
-I actually really enjoyed the social life here. However, It is different and it really feels like the South. As much as people talk trash about Kau's, I can honestly say that I had a blast there in the my early college years. Get involved with a fraternity or a sorority. There's one for everybody here and as hard as some people try, it is definetly not your average "TFM" experience. They're a little silly and superficial but I honestly did make some great friends and I was never bored on the weekends.
-As a biology student, I felt challenged by my courses. Professors for the most part know what they are talking about and are friendly. Don't know too much about other departments.
-Lakeland is cool if you look. People that complain about Lakeland are generally the same people who spend all weekend locked in front of an xbox playing COD or something. There's stuff to do, and if you can't find it you're not looking hard enough.
-Students for the most part are pretty friendly.
-You will be given opportunities to perform research. Get involved with it as soon as possible, even if you don't get credit hours for it.
-I loved the Biology department here, and it is one of the departments that is getting better with time.

Cons:
-Administration blows. That is one thing that I think lots of people complaining nailed on the head. The business office is horribly understaffed and it shows. They are nice ladies, but they just don't have the resources they need.
-Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, while beautiful, are not exactly funcitonal. Polk Science needs some serious upgrades to it's labs.
-Might have just been me with this one, but I hated all of the chemistry I took at FSC. I don't know where they find them, but some of the chemistry professors really ruined the classes here. If I could have, I would have taken my organic courses elsewhere.
-Students, while nice, tend to be a little clique-y. It gets a little irritating, especially as you get further into college/older.
-Food is kinda meh. But whatever, move off campus and get a kitchen. I can't really think of any college that has a super great cafeteria.

Honestly this is school is the definition of " You get out, what you put in."

Get involved. Do it early and avoid chemistry.
Get free info from: Florida Southern College