StudentsReview :: Embry Riddle Aeronautical University - Daytona Beach - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Florida Institute of Technology -- Melbourne, FL

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University - Daytona Beach

Total Grad Surveys 3
Females 0
Males 3
Avg years at University 1.7
Research Quality C+ (5.7)
Research Availability B (6.6)
Research Funding A (9.0)
Graduate Politics B+ (8.0)
Not Errand Runners B+ (7.9)
Degree Completion B+ (7.6)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] A- (8.7)
Sufficient Pay A- (8.2)
Competitiveness B (7.1)
Education Quality A- (8.6)
Faculty Accessibility A (9.6)
Useful Research A- (8.6)
"Individual" treatment B (6.5)
Friendliness B- (6.3)
Safety A (9.0)
Campus Beauty A (9.3)
Campus Maintenance A (9.3)
University Spending A (9.0)
Extracurriculars A+ (10.0)
Scholastic Success A- (8.6)
Surrounding City B- (6.0)
Social Life/ Environment A- (8.1)
Research QualityC+
ExtracurricularsA+
Does Embry-Riddle's MBA Program Get a Passing Grade?Apr 08 2015Business - Management and Administration
Does Embry-Riddle's MBA Program Get a Passing Grade?
Written by a former graduate student that loved the program but, felt disappointed with the program's numerous shortcomings.

Myself: Former international graduate student at Embry-Riddle
Where: Daytona Beach campus
Department: College of Business (COB)
Program of Study: Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Pros:
- Program is aviation-focused. This is reflected in both the content of the courses offered in the MBA program and, in students who mostly share a profound passion for aviation and aerospace.

- Class sizes are generally small when compared to other B-schools (avg. of 20/students per class during the fall and spring semesters).

- Most teachers are passionate about what they teach and several ties/connections to the aviation/aerospace industry (this is perfect for students that want to build their contacts).

- The campus is fairly modern and has decent amenities.
Cons (there are many):

- As an MBA student, you are mixed into the 'pack' of undergraduate students at the College of Business from day one. There are NO: student lounges or office space, computer labs or meeting areas that are dedicated for the use of graduate students at the COB.

- Once you're accepted into the program, there is little to no administrative support for international students. I had to go out of my way to ask about career opportunities at the career center and, most importantly, aside from professor feedback forms that students complete at the end of the semester, not ONCE did anyone actually ask me about my feedback about the program in general. For $40K, it didn't seem like anyone actually cared about what I thought about the program after they received my tuition payment.

- While the MBA program at Embry-Riddle is coveted in the aviation community, it lacks substantial value outside of the aviation and aerospace industry. Look it up. Every single executive from every single airline in the US is alma-mater from either an Ivy League school or another academic institution. Additionally, the MBA program at ERAU is NOT accredited as should any reputable b-school would be.

- Lack of student diversity. Due partly to the recruiting efforts of Dr. Raghavan, almost half of my class was composed of students from India. While you could argue that demand for the ERAU MBA is insatiable in India, the recent spike in Indian students is because of the aforementioned professor's targeted and biased recruiting efforts in that country. While I value student diversity in the classroom, I fear that the student population will become increasingly homogeneous in the future.

- Meaningful graduate student employment is incredibly difficult to obtain. Most jobs offered to graduate students are just that - jobs. Most work options on campus are suited for undergraduate students with little to no work experience.

The exception to this are the few and highly prized Research Assistant positions. However, the gatekeeper for these jobs (Dr. Raghavan) will prevent most qualified applicants from ever having a chance in the application process. Never before have I seen such nepotism in the selection of candidates. If you've been to the COB (College of Business), you would understand what I'm talking about.

In my case, when my application to be a Research Assistant was rejected, I asked Dr. Raghavan for an explanation. He claimed that the successful applicant had a higher GMAT score than I did - even though this criterion (along with many others) was never communicated to me at any point during the hiring process. This led me to believe that the qualifications for this job were tailored to favor certain applicants over others.Recommendation: While the MBA program at Embry-Riddle is worthy of praise within the aviation and aerospace industry, the program's highlighted shortcomings make it an obvious second choice for students that are able to attend more renown business schools with better reputations.

Oct 22 2014Aerospace Engineering
International students please don't go to embry riddle !!!!! The international office is not at all helpful
I love hereMar 24 2012Aerospace Engineering
I love here. if u wanna get top notch education come here.if u just wanna screw up girls then dont. studies are taken seriously here
I live in Seville Florida and have beenDec 24 2010Unknown
I live in Seville Florida and have been bothered very much by these low flying aircraft, after research I found out that these personal air craft with the three blue stripes on the wings is from Embry Riddle...why in the world do they exhibit this poor behavior and why is nothing being done about it?. I wish people would think about what they do before they do it.They are doing this right now on Christmas Eve!
I looked for aSep 26 2003Aerospace Engineering
I looked for a RA position at my former school(USC) and was not able to find something proper. Therefore, I am looking at Embry-Riddle to get work as an RA, if possible
Compare ERAU-Daytona BeachSave ERAU-Daytona Beach