StudentsReview :: Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College - Comments and Student Experiences

Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College

I have attended 2 semesters at ABAC andAverageBiology
I have attended 2 semesters at ABAC and about to attend my 3rd. Really the only reason that I am still attending ABAC is because of how close the campus is to where I live. The school is very easy to get into but the classes are very difficult. The staff is actually very friendly and helpful for the most part. The students are generally polite but as a person that grew up around the area I would like to add that many of the local students come from the more wealthy and higher status families. Therefore despite the polite behavior socializing can be a bit difficult because they more or less stick with there own. I honestly can't comment too much on racism. I am whit and have not experienced it but I am sure that the upper class rednecks are rude to other races. Unfortunately if you are not a redneck or from a big agricultural or political family you will have a difficult time. Contrary to other comment I have read the Gin is not the only bar. I do agree that the Gin is dirty and crappy. Also I would like to reply to the person that said that half of Tifton is a Ghetto. I live on the South Side and yes the crime rate is a bit high but it's one of the fewer areas of South Ga where races mix better. With that last statement I am only referring to one part of town. Unfortunately there is still a lot of racism around here so if you are not white you would probably have a hard time but there are people that welcome you. I would love to see our school even more diverse. Beside the difficulties of some of the classes the experiences at of ABAC are actually generally nice.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
GSU is a school that appears to tryAverageSociology
GSU is a school that appears to try to compete specifically with Georgia Tech which they can't. GT is out if they're league. I was still attending when they were trying to go through this big transformation of being a more traditional college campus. Yet, it appeared they did it more for administrators rather than tryin to keep the students . Georgia State is known for being the highest transfer school in the region but ...

It is also has one of the highest rates of students transferring out of there too.
When I first got there there were students who tried to warn me About the school and financial aid and staff .. I WISH I LISTENED! They said the staff try to weed you out and it's very difficult to make A's , so they attempt to set you up for failure. They are rude dismissive and arrogant and try to mess with you on the sly. I have taken classes in a little bit of each field. So I know. One class in Sociology students were complaining about this professor how she was showing too much favoritism and making a lot of racial sensitive comments. I came up to her about something on her data I thought was not right so she assumed it was me running to the dept. when in fact it was a host of students that were complaint about her so she started making snide remarks at me and even walked back in the classroom and looked over at my survey when we were doing Teacher surveys in which, Teachers are not to be in the room. And guess what they made her Director or head of the department of some sort. That goes to show they don't really care about you ... The student. They only care about getting recognition and ranking . In the same department Professor Kii taught statistics and I went for help one day and I asked for more clarification on a subject and he yelled and screamed at me and called me stupid. So , they can do all of that , abuse and be condenscending and get away with it while your grade suffered . I worked more than hard and ended up with a B-.

MThen there was a African American intro class I took for an elective just because I heard it was a good class. The professor said his name , "I'm Professor Umoja" and he was always wearing dychikies if that's how you spell it. And so as he was saying it I frowned being that i wasn't familiar and he started yelling and screaming and talking to me indirectly very condenscending. I recall I was walking going to a class and there he Umoja was and he started talking serious and major crap to me like he was still on the hood or better yet "Ghetto". It bothered me for a minute that I said and didn't report his ignorant behind

4th Year Female -- Class 2009
Campus Maintenance: B, Education Quality: F
I am a first year student here at ABAC.Quite BrightOther
I am a first year student here at ABAC. I am an out of state student. I have only been going here for three months and I am about to complete my first semester of college. Already I am going to be transferring to another school.

The students here may seem friendly at first. But in reality they are close minded people who do not accept other races to be equal to them. It is disgusting how racist these students are. The people who attend this school are mainly from surrounding counties and surrounding southern states. These students are the most illiterate and uncultured people that I have ever met in my life. The town is trashy along with its bars, especially The Gin who even has White Trash Wednesdays every month or so. Very classy Tifton, very classy. This school upholds the meaning of the "Dirty South". This place is truly an entire different world, full of people with different mind-sets than the average person.

The staff (for the most part) is very nice and helpful, and that is about the only thing that I actually like about this school. Other than that I have had the most miserable first semester of college.

If you're from the north, midwest or west, do yourself a favor and do not attend this school. You will hate it, and you will want to transfer. If you're already from the deep and dirty south and do not know proper english and grammar then this is the perfect place for you and you'll fit right in. Oh and if you come here and suddenly want to transfer like I did, you better be ready to waste a lot of money on classes that will only count as electives at any other University. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

Scholastic Success: A, Friendliness: D-