StudentsReview :: Purdue University Calumet Campus - Comments and Student Experiences

Purdue University Calumet Campus

Jun 04 2013Nursing
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
As of this review, June 4th, 2013, there has been a lack of security at Purdue Calumet. Yelp won't even let me post this review because it's "too negative," but it's the truth. Parents and students, go somewhere else! I live in the dorms and I cannot believe that a security guard we had patrolling the dorms outside at night actually robbed two people at gun point last month not too far from campus! The staff @ Purdue University Calumet lied to me, and my Mom and Dad, that these dorms were patrolled by the University Police, or at least that was what they lead us to believe.

We had no idea about this guard was a criminal. He apparently was arrested May 22nd for his actions earlier in the month. To make things worse, he worked the night AFTER he committed the robbery, like nothing ever happened. I saw the truck at night in the parking lot. How did Purdue let this get by them? How come they decided not to inform us? Isn't that information public to begin with?

It is reassuring that Purdue Calumet demands that outside security guards and other vendor employees go through a strict background check with their employer, but that usually doesn't mean employers will follow through on it. Are they that naive to think people will conduct such thorough investigations?

I have told my parents I am transferring. I do not feel safe here anymore. I was trying to get into their nursing program, but now I am going to commute. It is sad because I truly enjoyed this school, its faculty and staff, and the students. I will miss the relationships I have built here. However, Purdue Calumet has taught me a valuable lesson. They broke my trust and with a situation like this, how could they possible win it back?

Here is a link to the article in the local paper:

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Jun 01 2013Sociology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I was a good student. A's and B's, completed my assignments on time, participated in extra-curricular activities, the whole nine yards. Things were going great for me until I got smacked around by my boyfriend on campus. No one took me seriously and the Dean of Students turned me away and told me to never file complaints about that nature to their office again.

To make matters even worse, there's a sociology statistics teacher that dates students! My friend and I were walking one day a month after my domestic assault and she pointed at him and said to me that she had him as teacher for her statistics course and the two girls he was with were students she had in her current classes!What a horrible school! Go some where else! This school does not care about the safety of their students. You get what you pay for in regards to campus quality and safety.

4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Friendliness: B+, Useful Schoolwork: F
Mar 20 2013Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
In my opinion, it is mostly about a person's personality and their work ethic. Hard-working people do well in the classes. I have heard many success stories from there. The location is not the greatest, but a few minutes away there are many places to eat and 15-20 mins away people can go shopping and go to the movies. I have not met anyone mean yet. Even the upper class men are nice. In-state financially is totally worth it, because it is only $2,700-$3,000. It is really pretty though, and they have been working on the buildings making them more up-to-date. I am happy that I went there. If Purdue West Lafayette was not so expensive, I would transfer but that would be the only reason for leaving.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016