StudentsReview :: The University of Evansville - Comments and Student Experiences

Illinois Institute of Technology -- Chicago, IL

The University of Evansville

The University of Evansville is not set up for adult studenQuite BrightArt & Design Department
The University of Evansville is not set up for adult students, who wish to obtain a respectable and reputable degree. They do offer adult classes, but they are not traditional or helpful in my case, because I waited to go to college until I was in my late 30s. I felt alienated by the students, probably because of my age. Most of my instructors were intelligent, but most of them lacked sympathy or compassion for students that are non-traditional. I would recommend the school to a teenager just graduating from high school, but not adults.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A, Innovation: F
This school is academically strong.BrightPsychology
This school is academically strong. The courses taught here are challenging and engaging, and the professors (with the exception of a few bad apples) really care what happens to their students. It will set you well on your way to getting into graduate school or finding a job in your field, provided you major in something sensible.

The organizations here are amazing. We have a campus radio station, which I HIGHLY suggest you get involved in. It'll give you good practice with public speaking, and you get to play music, so...win/win. There are also academic clubs, religious organizations, and even a Quidditch club (they sort you into Houses and everything).

However, there are a few things that aren't so great about UE. For example, the library was closed for the first two months of this semester because it was being renovated, a task that was supposed to be completed over the summer. It's open now, but the floors that actually have the books are still under construction, so I'm not really sure what the point of it is. Also, the wifi constantly goes out, there's no hot water in the dorms at the moment, and the meals sold to us by our provider, Sodexo, are lacking both in taste and variety.

I am worried that my academic advisor doesn't remember me from visit to visit, which is an anomaly at UE. I've spent more time with him than with any of the other professors here, and yet, I could name probably a dozen instructors that know me better than he does. I'm trying my best to figure out how to set up my coursework, but it would be nice to have the kind of support that students with different advisors do.

If you choose to come to UE, bring a car. Otherwise, not only will it be difficult or nearly impossible to get home if you live outside of southern Indiana, you will miss out on events that are happening in larger cities. We have a ride board, but either nobody checks it, nobody lives more than a hundred miles away, or nobody cares. This is why I indicated that given the chance to go somewhere else, I would--a larger city grants more opportunities, and a larger school holds more possibility of someone traveling the same direction as you.

Some of the professors aren't quite up to par, either. One professor in particular was consistently late to class by over ten minutes, did not give clear instructions for her assignments, and was passive aggressive towards anyone who expressed an opinion that differed from her own. On one occasion, she even laughed out loud at a student's answer to one of her Venus flytrap questions, without even considering the fact that she was literally embarrassing the student in front of the entire class.

Flaws aside, however, UE is an alright school! If your main goal is to learn, you will find a lot of things to like about being here. After you put in your four years of work, you'll have a degree that means something, and that will take you pretty much wherever you need to go. If only the same thing could be said for Evansville's public transport system!

Whether you decide to come here or not, good luck with everything![P.S. I just want to put a special note here for anyone who enjoys going to concerts--it is IMPERATIVE that you bring your own transportation. Unless you only like country music, you'll have to travel some distance if you want to see a good show. St. Louis, Nashville, and Louisville are all big cities that artists will often travel to, and they're less than three easy driving hours away, but you have got to bring a car or you won't be able to see the concerts you otherwise could have seen.]

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Surrounding City: F
You need to doQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
You need to do background checks BEFORE you promote them to dean. Two back to back that are a little too involved with students. Everyone knows the scandals.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013