StudentsReview :: American International College - Comments and Student Experiences

American International College

I transferred to AIC because I was lookingQuite BrightNursing
I transferred to AIC because I was looking for a small college. The classes are great and I absol love my professors! They're always there to help when needed and they don't just care about your grade they care about you as a person. Now here's the bad dorm halls are very crappy coming from another school. We often didn't have heat or hot water during the winter & paying almost $46,000 a year that's something we should've had no problems with. The food in the dining commons is disgusting! The students goes both ways some are great people and excellent friends and then there are others?the not so great friends that are really fake and petty. Bit of advice look into a different school if that's an option and if you're set on going to AIC make a variety of friends and at,east join one club don't just stick to one group of friends because they might not be the right fit. AIC is great for the academic life you'll come out of college with everything you need but if you want a better social life look other places. We don't really have a lot to do around us or parties because there is so much crime in the city. :(
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F
AIC afforded me the opportunity to commute andQuite BrightFinance
AIC afforded me the opportunity to commute and obtain an undergraduate degree which in turn lead to a Masters Degree. I enjoyed small classes and with a few exceptions, overall really good teaching staff. I should have studied more math in H.S. A college degree will open doors. Your future success is dependent on applying that knowledge and constantly working to improve your skills.
Starting Job: Financial Analyst; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B
To start I will try and make thisBrightCommunications
To start I will try and make this review as un-biased as possible. while this is a negative review, I do have some positive things to say.As a first year freshman at AIC in my second semester, I will be transferring. I highly recommend any and everyone who is reading this comment to read most of it.I ended up coming to this school last minute, and at the time it was the most affordable school for me.

Campus: The campus is very small, this can be positive for some people but it sickened me.I hated looking out my window and seeing the SAME people everyday.Its right in the middle of springfield and its not gated, so all the springfield bums can just walk through the campus at any moment they want.The second half of the campus which is about a 10 minute walk is down the street. a shuttle goes there since the town is kind of dangerous and its not recommended for the students to walk, especially after 5pm.This campus is only the athletic fields and edgewood housing hall and acorn apartments. so basically theres nothing special to the other campus.the campus is kept pretty well, considering I can look out my window and see the entire campus.

Dorms: the dorms are really nothing special. the insides look better than the outside. Hines the freshman Co-ed housing hall is kept pretty decent, the bathrooms are cleaned everyday(if they're actually cleaning when they put the "closed for cleaning" sign up when I need to shower and then forced to go downstairs) but thats not a big deal.If you hate loud music, weed smoking,the elevators breaking down occasionally (which is not fun if you live past the 5th floor), being able to hear some other persons sex life, nasty people not knowing how to flush the toilet and being fined simply because you live on that floor, idiots pulling the fire alarms, the occasional senseless fights,oh and obnoxious kids kicking on your door and running down the stairs then Hines is NOT the place for you. on the brightside the dorms are pretty spacious compared to the ones at other schools. Pouch is an all Female housing hall, more civilized and it only has 4 floors.The fire alarm seems to go off alot there though. Magna is pretty much the upperclassmen version of Hines, minus the unnecessary childish acts(atleast i think) Edgewater is its own campus pretty much.the housing hall has suites and is much nicer (where they let the recruits stay while on their visits. SET UP) and there werent too many problems between roommates. I actually hit it off very well with mine, now im not prepared for a new one when i transfer

Social Life:
In the beginning everyone seemed so nice and open to knew people. after a month everyone started forming their cliques.this is a VERY small campus and everyone literally knows everyone.Nothing is a secret at this school,for the most part you can find some sort of information about anyone without even speaking to that person.some of the upperclassmen females will give you the dirtiest looks while others will smile and hold the door open for you.and dont come here thinking you're going to find a husband, most of the guys here are childish as hell or play fiends. The freshmen here are all pretty cool , well the ones that actually made it to the spring semester without transferring to SCSU.For the most part there is NOTHING to do on the weekends.the school is already small enough and most of the students go home for the weekends just because they expect it to be wack. if I didnt live 3 hours away I would probably do the same thing.If not home people go to other schools to party like hartford,UMASS, or the 21+ kids go downtown to the club. so if you dont have you car or you arent over 21 you're pretty much only left with the same ole house party , in your housing hall trying to entertain yourself or sleeping. they held events during the week , the prizes are really nice and make you want to go. I mean who doesnt want a free iHOME or Memory foam , especially living on campus. some of the events held people dont even show up too. most of the other reviews about this school is pretty much correct for the most part.I tried to look past it with the "everyone has different experiences" mindset....yea not at AIC.

Academics: To be quite honest, unless you are a science major (which compared isnt even that stressful compared to other schools) you really arent being challenged at all. sometimes I get pissed off at the fact that I barely have to Study to recieve my A's (although I still do to practice my habits for my next school).Im not paying money to just refresh my memory, thats what google is for. I hear the nursing and PT programs are pretty challeging here.the professors here are actually pretty wonderful.I havent really met any that didnt care about you, they're easy to get in contact with.of course the ones who are just doing it for a salary do exist, but they're easily avoided. the professors and advisors are people that I will truly miss about this school.

Financial Aid: unlike many schools , you can get in touch with them. the school gives alot of money and is pretty understanding and helpful when it comes to hard-times and financial troubles.

Food: the dining hall gets old and repetitive, the food isnt that great but it gets the job done when you dont want to pay cash or use your buzz bucks.overall I wouldnt recommend this school to anyone unless they did terrible in highschool, and would still like some sort of college experience.but even in that case for the price of this school its definitely not worth it. just watch your favorite college movie every night while at a community college and that will give you a better experience. For those who like small schools or atleast think they do, i recommend visiting while the semester is still in place to see what its really like here and not the front they put up during the summer orientations.although ,I met some really great people here, the school needs to make the application process a little more selective.they'll pretty much accept anyone who's graduated high school and even offer "academic scholarships"..

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Individual Value: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: F

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→