StudentsReview :: Southwestern Michigan College - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwestern Michigan College

I have been very successful--I've earned a master'sCommunications
I have been very successful--I've earned a master's degree, have bought and sold my own home by the age of 25, and have no debt--and I attribute a LOT of that to this college. Having gone on to a university and worked in large state universities, I can tell you that the quality of education and care you get at SMC is much better than most places. Most the instructors are great, the staff is friendly, and the campus is very laid back. Beautiful campus and renovated facilities. Highly recommended.
Attending this college was a waste of timeOther
Attending this college was a waste of time and money. The only good thing about this place is a very few select good instructors and the music department. I graduated painfully with my associate's in science after three years. The next college i attended, only if half of my classes transferred as real class equivalents compared to elective credit. The surrounding city is in the country and there is absolutely nothing to do. The dorms are too strict. The bookstore at least before the renovation sucked and so did the staff. The advisor's were lazy and i finished the degree practically on my own. The way they handle loans is shady and money gets lost yet they have no idea where it went. They waste their money on dumb things like the fountain that only gets used in the summer when a quarter of the student body is attending. I don't how some of the instructor's ever got hired there. The commute is horrible because the county refuses to fix the roads, as well as keep them safe for the students. The ISIS class was outdated to Vista when we were on windows 7. They use the hawks math system which don't even get me started on that piece of junk software. I think that's a good enough list for you. I was glad when i was finally done.
I have been taking courses at this collegeQuite BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I have been taking courses at this college for 5 years due to the unorganization, lack of communication, and carelessness of teachers and faculty. Many times I have taken courses and have been given a non-passing grade only to re-take the course 2 more times before finally passing (and no it was not because I slacked off or didn't do the work, it was because teachers lost assignments, didn't clearly explain what they were looking for, or just decided that your paper was just not worthy of being looked at). I have also taken many courses that the first day of class the teacher told us they didn't know the first thing about the subject they were teaching and that this would be just as much of a learning experience for them as it was for us.

The course work did not prepare me for an actual job at all. When I got a full-time job as a Graphic Designer, I had to go through a lot of training just to understand what to do. Over the course of my time there, I only had 3 teachers that were extremely helpful, knew what they were teaching and were passionate about it. My degree is in Graphic Design and yet most of my course work was centered around business, math that I had taken in high school, elementary english classes, and other courses that did not teach me the first thing about design.

Not only were the courses not helpful, but the faculty at the college did not know the first thing about their jobs. Many times when signing up for classes, they would tell me that I had not taken a course, when in fact I had and had passed. There were many times that I had to take my grades and syllabi to the academic office just so they would believe that I had taken and passed the course. Many times, even after proving it to them, they would not unblock the courses so that I could sign up and it would be too late to get into the classes I needed. They were so unorganized in that office that I have wasted a lot of time and money taking courses that I didn't need or had already taken.After wasting so much time and money on this "college," I would not recommend that anyone attend. I have brought my concerns to the dean of students, and even he did nothing to help me. This school is not worth the hassle, time, or money.

5th Year Female -- Class 2011