StudentsReview :: Fortis College - Centerville - Comments and Student Experiences

Fortis College - Centerville

ADVICE:Quite BrightNursing
ADVICE: Be overly attentive to every minor detail if you want to attend this school. We have just passed the mid-point in our second term which puts us 22 weeks into attending this school since day one of orientation. My current GPA is 3.88 which means I'm not totally stupid but here are some things I did not look out for.

ISSUES - 1). The financial aide office failed to inform any of the other registration staff and Dean of Nursing on how GI Bill funds are affected by quarter hour class loads. I have now lost over half of my GI Funds for an entire quarter because I met the full time "semester" hours, however, nursing is done in "quarter" hours which have a different scale to follow to be "full time". I have 8 quarter hours this term and GI Bill requires 12 "quarter" hours to be "full time". The financial aide office rep's answer to me was "Well, I knew it would do that". Really? No advice given on this one from them at all. Not even a "hey, your on GI Bill Funds, your about to loose thousands of dollars by taking this class load."

2). 22 weeks into attending this nursing school and still no uniforms that I had to pay for before school even started last year. Nursing school is "If you look the part, you will act the part, which helps you learn the part" that is why nursing uniforms are required as a uniform. You are mentally training yourself to be this person by how you look.

3). Before I started attending this school I transferred credits for a completed BA in Management to this school and now I am finding out I took courses in the first term that should have transferred across. Their answer to that one was "That person no longer works here". You will need to know the exact dates of when you took classes for them to met date cutoff time frames. And verify they reviewed everything on your transcripts. If they can get you to pay for a class they will and I am not the only one with this exact problem in my classes.

4). I have had a biology professor quit in the middle of class (week 3) with no notice. The Vice President of the school came to class and told us we did not have a teacher anymore and to show up next week and hopefully they will have a replacement by then. They did, but she was not a biology teacher. We watched KhanAcademy (Youtube) in class to learn biology. I PAID FOR THIS, REALLY? But we still had to take the standard course exams anyways get a passing score. We learned it, it sucked, hours and hours of reading the book at home and it was basically an online class that we sat in a classroom for because you still had attendance requirements to meet.

5). We have received a new president, vice president, registration person, and several other staff members; all have been replaced without any notice within the last two months. And ACCSC will be in the facility next week (any thoughts on that one, Feb 2017)?

6). The school has sent in temp staff registration members from Cinci and Columbus but they are only here for one day a week for four hours. I have attempted numerous times to get a hold of these individuals with no luck.

7). There are more issues but my advise at this point - Be very very cautious of this school and ensure you read and reread everything because most of the staff members will not guide you in any way good or bad. The Dean of Nursing has gone way above and beyond to help me try to get some of these issues fixed but why would it have needed to get to this level in the first place. If you decide to go to this school, she is the first person you need to deal with and the first person to go to if there is a problem. She will do what she can to fix things.** I am at this school because of the "no wait" list and ACEN accreditation for ADN, as well as, the school itself currently has the proper accreditation. Wright-State and other local accredited schools have a forever waiting list (2+ years in some cases). The down side - once you start core nursing classes they will not transfer anywhere else (this is a private for profit school).

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Friendliness: A-, Individual Value: F
Rules Change withour notice.Quite BrightNursing
Rules Change withour notice. Faculty Never wants to help you in figuring out what is going on. Teaching Staff is either made up of non englush speaking, morons, or the good ones who quit after 3 weeks.
1st Year Female -- Class 2007
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Faculty Accessibility: F
After graduating from RetsEducation
After graduating from Rets in 2000, I found a whole new job market. My life has gotten better with each new career choice. Rets was really the best thing that has ever happened to me. I will never forget Diane Worth or Mrs. Carol Fauber. They really helped me change my life!

Royal Roads University (Canada) 2:neutral