StudentsReview :: Fairmont State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Fairmont State University

Worst school I have attended, I am aAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
Worst school I have attended, I am a military (retired) veteran, Full time worker who takes evening classes. I have transferred from another Accredited University that I attained a Associates degree from. and had taken half of the classes needed to finish my Bachelors degree before transferring. Fairmont State did a terrible job transferring my credit. Everything I did at the other accredited university was counted at the lower level or made up. two English classes were credited as the same course ENG 1100 by Fairmont State. Why would you do that, now they tell me I have to get all my syllabuses from all the courses I have taken so they can update my transcripts. It looks more and more like they are in it for the money, I have been told there are more courses I have to take that are not listed on master course list for my Major. How can that be a student should be able to follow the master course list for their discipline and not have any surprises. The advisor I do have was telling me that I couldn't take a course due to the Prerequisites, I looked and I had met the requirements. Isnt it their job to check these things, work with the student? So far I have felt like the money I have applied has been wasted, one Class out of 4 I have used the 250.00 book. They tell you to call or email the Deans of each department when you do they just acknowledge your email and you never hear anything back. If you are a transfer student be prepared to waste most of your time trying to get credit for what you have done. all in all I feel like getting an education is just a check mark. I have learned and experienced more without college than I have ever learned going.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Collaboration/Competitive: B, Education Quality: F
AverageNursing
In LOVE with the school and cannot wait to spend another three years here. The nursing program is fantastic!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C-
So, I decided to do something that willSuper BrilliantArt & Design Department
So, I decided to do something that will probably disappoint a lot of people, but this is what I want and it's what I'm going to stick with: I dropped out of college.

Now, before everyone starts asking me why, let me explain.

I'm not hating on college because, despite having a ton of bad experiences, I had some good ones, too! I met a lot of nice people that shared my interests, I can now look at a painting and tell what kind of brush strokes they used, and I now know how to mold clay into cups and bowls to make pottery. The art classes I took were definitely wonderful, but those are sadly the only few good things that I can name off.

Alright, so here is why I did it:

●Financial Failures
-I can proudly say that in my 3 years of attending college I kept a GPA of 3.5-3.8 the whole ride through, but that didn't help me financially like it helped a lot of others. There had been times where I was awarded The WV Higher Education Grant, the Pell grant, and a few other small grants, but never saw them after my 2nd semester. I went to college for at least 4 semesters without financial aid and when books can accumulate up to $500-$900, that's a big deal. Do you know how awful it feels to ask for help to pay for books that we "need" but never even use them? I don't know how many times that has happened. I have lost over $6000 dollars of my own/family's money due to not receiving financial aid when I was supposed to and I couldn't take it anymore.

●Advisor horror stories
-To sum things up, in the past 3 years, I WAS NOT ASSIGNED AN ADVISOR. I even requested several times to have me assigned to one, but they kept tossing me back and forth between other advisors who did not have my information at hand. I've been told by one advisor that I "need THIS class", and the other one would say "no, you need THIS class" and then I would have to figure it out on my own through trial and error.

●Scheduling Disasters!
-This was probably the biggest problem I had. Notice that I've started each paragraph with "in the past 3 years" well, for your information, I was only expecting to go for 2. Associate's degree, that's all I wanted, but nope! I started out as two year, but as I was moments away from graduating I was "missing" a class, and that class was Communication. Ah, just one class, I can go an extra semester and take some extra art classes to fill up my hourly quota for some financial aid. That should work out! Haha, no. First of all I wasn't awarded financial aid like I stated earlier, and once I had completed the communication class and was, again, seconds from graduation registration, I was (GASP) missing more classes! Not one, but two more! I was missing two classes that none of my advisors had told me about and were unlisted in my major's class requirements. Odd, huh? So, I AGAIN went another full semester with classes that I really didn't need just so I could have credit, but after a few months (the beginning of this year) I checked my credits and I was, I shit you not, missing 4 class credits, and two of them were supposed to be voided since I had done two internships with mentors (which should have counted as class credit). Suddenly, my mentor internships weren't there. After talking with at least 11 different student counselors, they all told me that I could graduate in 2015. That means it would have taken me 5 years to have enough credit for a 2 year. That was it. I knew I was done.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017