StudentsReview :: Fortis Institute - Erie - Extra Detail about the Comment

Fortis Institute - Erie

Alumni Survey

Date: Jul 12 2011
Major: PreMed and Medical (This Major's Salary over time)
This college has hurt me. I am seriously in debt. After finishing the Medical Laboratory Technician program and financing $31552 in student loans, I am not even working in my field of study because no one will hire me. My school placement advisor gave up on me and says that she has to focus on the most recent school graduates. I was able to get a minimum wage cashier/retail job, but it barely pays the bills and won't even begin to pay my student loans. Probably will have to get a forbearance on my school loans soon. Most jobs in this field want a bachelors degree or more - The associates degree I got doesn't cut it, but no one at the school tells you this. I tried to enroll at another school to continue my education towards my bachelors degree but NO ONE WILL TAKE CREDITS FROM TRI-STATE BUSINESS INSTITUTE or FORTIS INSTITUTE even though my admissions rep said they probably would - they couldn't say because it would depend on the college. I"VE CHECKED EVERYWHERE - NO ONE TAKES CREDITS FROM TSBI / FORTIS INSTITUTE. They said that I would have to start as a freshman because the credits from this school are too elementary and aren't on a college level!!! During graduation ceremomy, my drunk admissions rep told me thanks because they got a graduation bonus on me and that I should come back for another program so they could get more money. If I would have known that admissions reps made bonus money if you graduate, I would have reconsidered going to this school. Maybe that explains why they always re-enroll graduates into other programs and they always try to get referrals from you every chance they get.

I will probably go back to college, start as a freshman and get a bachelor's degree since none of my education here will apply. In the meantime, I am speaking with the department of education regarding this school and raising complaints with their accrediting agency. From what I hear, I'm only one of many unhappy graduates, students and former students.

Skidmore College (NY) 1:positive