StudentsReview :: Western International University - Comments and Student Experiences

Western International University

Foremost, I do recommend this university and IBusiness - Management and Administration
Foremost, I do recommend this university and I graduated with honors and I am in my Masters program too. However, I ask you the reader to really evaluate your work ethic and academic capability before jumping into West. My recommendation to anyone considering this university or another is to complete a couple tasks.

First - Create a questionnaire with repeatable questions so you personally can adequately compare universities.

Q1) What community college classes transfer to ?University?. I started in Illinois at a community college and all my general education classes transferred and I took my language at MCC. Ask, Eng 101, 102, Math, etc.

Q2) What is your per credit hour for Eng 101, 102, Math, etc. As a future student you must take these.

Second ? compare the cost for general education classes at your community college versus ?University?. If you're not the best academic student, wouldn't you rather take some general education classes at a lower cost than higher?if they transfer?

If you're going from H.S. get your AA and then a BA or BS from West.
Ask your employer if they offer tuition reimbursement.
Manage your time. These are accelerated classes and if you are not ready, you will be challenged! Do not let the accelerated time be your decision for West.

I went into this school headfirst.Super BrilliantCriminal
I went into this school headfirst. It was the only school with the degree that I wanted. I was put off by the insane tuition because I had my goals in sight. $455 a credit is excessive for an unheard of online school that has connections to University of Phoenix no less. At the time I enrolled, there were no reviews online for me to research. The enrollment staff were very kind as they all tend to be. Customer service I have never had an issue with.

However, If I can float through an online class without ever reading the book or listening in on lectures, at all, and acheive a 4.0, I think we might have a diploma mill on our hands here. In one class in particular, I was so uninterested and was forced to take it because it was part of their "core knowledge" classes, that I would turn my computer on and log into the class to receive the credit for being there then I would turn the volume off for the entire 2 1/2 hours. Then on the weekly test I would use the control find feature in the ebook to get the answers. Is this slacking and taking advantage of the system? I guess so. I figured that I was doing all these general ed classes that werent necessary to my degree in any shape or form. This is all after I completed an Associates, so all of these classes I have taken before.

Needless to say I received a 4.0 in the class. Yes yes, you get what you put into it. But Im not putting into one redundant class after another that is costing me $1500 each time. I have completed one semester, 4 classes and Im not even close to taking a class that is in the cirriculum that I opted for, Criminal Behavior. There are 20 classes to your 7 core classes. Can we say cash cow? Instead, I leave to avoid further debt for absolutely no return.

Have I learned a lesson? Yes. And that is that there is little hope left in our contries education system. Unless you go to a campus university, your not going to learn one useful, valuable thing that will prepare you for your field or real life. We all go to online school to simple get that piece of paper that tells people that we are educated. When we really aren't. Im sure some of you may think this is pessimistic or Im just a lazy student. On the contrary. I am a smart person that expects an intellectual challenge worth my $1500. As I research another online school, I am not turning anything up that will fit that requirement. All of my searches are in vain and I know that I will be cheating myself once again if I enroll in another fly by night university. So my advice to those considering this school, or some other for profit university; Assess what it is your really looking for. If you want a piece of paper without a solid education, to flag around in interviews in hopes the interviewer will be impressed, by all means enroll here. If you want a substantial education with tools and skills that will enrich your life and your future career field, forget about the online for profit schools.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Friendliness: A-, Education Quality: F
I have been going to WIU for 2Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I have been going to WIU for 2 years now and have not had a great experience. I originally chose to go there for a specific minor...within two months that minor was gone. I have had 3 Academic Advisors in the two years and I have found this out on my own. The school does not tell you. My financial aide advisor is a joke. She never responds to your emails or communication. They send out nasty letters in them mail between disbursements of financial aide stating that you wont be able to continue. I have gotten 6 of those and every time I call, they say don't worry about them. I have had instructors who just give you an A in the class if you show up. I would recommend going to a regular University, you might get a better experience.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013