StudentsReview :: The Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

The Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design

I started going to RMCAD when the Steeles

Aug 05 2014Art & Design Department
I started going to RMCAD when the Steeles (the family who started the school and made it the high ranking educational institute it once was) were still in control. It was incredible. My instructors were both challenging and helpful, the administration was friendly, and my peers were people I could use to challenge myself with. My artistic talent grew and I gained a sense of dedication and work ethic. During my final year (2010) the school was purchased by another school, Full Sail University. The change in atmosphere and educational value was almost instant. The dean stepped down, staff who challenged the degradation of the school were fired, tuition increased, and professor salaries decreased. The incoming students were no longer subject to portfolio reviews upon entrance (if you're trying to get into an art school for fine arts or illustration and cannot pass a portfolio review you should chose a different degree, like business) and the administrative staff seemed more concerned with making money and painting their nails than the reputation of their school or the future successes of its students.Do not go to RMCAD. It is a waste of your time and student loans. If you are going to school for fine arts or illustration try RISD or MICA instead. If you're going to school for graphic design try a state school. If you're going to school for web design open a book. RMCAD is basically an Art Institute now. If you leave the school as an employable asset to your (or any) community it is because you entered it that way; nothing you learn here wouldn't have been learned in any other environment in less time and costing you less money.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2010
Campus Maintenance: A, Faculty Accessibility: F

Do not go to RMCAD it was recently

Feb 28 2014Unknown
Do not go to RMCAD it was recently bought out. The staff were all fired and forced to re-apply, half the school (student and faculty) left within a week of the change in ownership. Teachers who had been there for over a decade were fired. The teachers were forced to sign non-discloser agreement, agreeing to not speak about the forced changes to anyone outside of the staff. I and other new students were not made aware of this when applying to rmcad the school you think your applying for does not exist any longer! You will have to take half online classes and half on campus classes. The online programs are a joke if you want to learn, just watch youtube videos on your own time! don't pay 600 dollars! for a teacher to check off that you did an assignment and not to actually check your work or critique you and teach you how to do it do it better. The online studio classes have no tutorials they tell you to check on youtube or lynda.com for instruction!! This is a horrible school in the midst of many changes and disgruntled employees. The acceptance rate is so high because they are so desperate for money(they have not made a prophet for almost 10 years!) Your peers don't know why they are in art school and your not getting advice from artists but from rich bored kids who have no passion for art this school is an expensive joke. GO here if you want to pay to "feel" special, not if you want to learn. Because you will not learn anything, at least not for the next year as they try to figure out their shit on your dime, you will just be a guinea pig for Rocky mountain art and design!
University Resource Use: A+, Education Quality: F

My experience at RMCAD has been so far

Jun 09 2014Art & Design Department
My experience at RMCAD has been so far... mediocre. I came in as a transfer student and I also spent a summer at the Savannah College of Art & Design so I'm very well versed in my field (graphic design).

I was initially attracted to the online learning environment but I soon realized that it's not the best way to learn. It's hard to get critiques from other students and so far I haven't gotten the best communication from my professors.

Now, art is a tricky field because you can't just go to art school, turn in projects and expect to land your dream job afterwards. You need to have the passion and dedication to work on school projects as well as other things outside of class. The teachers can teach you art & design, but they can't teach you motivation. You need to bring that yourself. I decided to leave because I could probably get a better education from my local university.What I'm trying to say is that RMCAD is a good school if you're a parent and would like to learn online, but if you take art seriously and want to make it in this field, go elsewhere. RMCAD accepts pretty much everyone with a portfolio and admissions essay so don't expect much talent. If you take a look at the faculty & student work it's not all that great in comparison to other schools. This school rides solely on their NASAD accreditation but that doesn't really mean much. Upon receiving my application and when making my decision about which colleges to attend, they kept bringing up how they were the only school out of my options that had NASAD accreditation. In reality, employers want to see your portfolio, not a piece of paper with a NASAD accredited school on it.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017