StudentsReview :: The Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

The Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design

RMCAD is a joke

Sep 15 2014Art & Design Department
RMCAD is a joke. If you like to be around a bunch of stuck up rich kids, than by all means this place is perfect for you. The faculty and teachers do not expect you to be a free thinker. If you are self-aware and not a corporate zombie, than don't even consider this place. If you live in the Denver area and want an art degree. MOVE!

I started going to RMCAD when the Steeles

Aug 05 2014Art & Design Department
I started going to RMCAD when the Steeles (the family who started the school and made it the high ranking educational institute it once was) were still in control. It was incredible. My instructors were both challenging and helpful, the administration was friendly, and my peers were people I could use to challenge myself with. My artistic talent grew and I gained a sense of dedication and work ethic. During my final year (2010) the school was purchased by another school, Full Sail University. The change in atmosphere and educational value was almost instant. The dean stepped down, staff who challenged the degradation of the school were fired, tuition increased, and professor salaries decreased. The incoming students were no longer subject to portfolio reviews upon entrance (if you're trying to get into an art school for fine arts or illustration and cannot pass a portfolio review you should chose a different degree, like business) and the administrative staff seemed more concerned with making money and painting their nails than the reputation of their school or the future successes of its students.Do not go to RMCAD. It is a waste of your time and student loans. If you are going to school for fine arts or illustration try RISD or MICA instead. If you're going to school for graphic design try a state school. If you're going to school for web design open a book. RMCAD is basically an Art Institute now. If you leave the school as an employable asset to your (or any) community it is because you entered it that way; nothing you learn here wouldn't have been learned in any other environment in less time and costing you less money.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2010
Campus Maintenance: A, Faculty Accessibility: F

My experience at RMCAD has been so far

Jun 09 2014Art & Design Department
My experience at RMCAD has been so far... mediocre. I came in as a transfer student and I also spent a summer at the Savannah College of Art & Design so I'm very well versed in my field (graphic design).

I was initially attracted to the online learning environment but I soon realized that it's not the best way to learn. It's hard to get critiques from other students and so far I haven't gotten the best communication from my professors.

Now, art is a tricky field because you can't just go to art school, turn in projects and expect to land your dream job afterwards. You need to have the passion and dedication to work on school projects as well as other things outside of class. The teachers can teach you art & design, but they can't teach you motivation. You need to bring that yourself. I decided to leave because I could probably get a better education from my local university.What I'm trying to say is that RMCAD is a good school if you're a parent and would like to learn online, but if you take art seriously and want to make it in this field, go elsewhere. RMCAD accepts pretty much everyone with a portfolio and admissions essay so don't expect much talent. If you take a look at the faculty & student work it's not all that great in comparison to other schools. This school rides solely on their NASAD accreditation but that doesn't really mean much. Upon receiving my application and when making my decision about which colleges to attend, they kept bringing up how they were the only school out of my options that had NASAD accreditation. In reality, employers want to see your portfolio, not a piece of paper with a NASAD accredited school on it.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017