StudentsReview :: Gwinnett Technical College - Comments and Student Experiences

Gwinnett Technical College

Do not complain inAverageEngineering Department
Do not complain in writing or if faculty knows your name. It will be recorded so the all see it and will get even with you.The IT department often shuts down the entire computer system even a busy times for students.
1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Innovation: B, Faculty Accessibility: F
I find some of the comments on hereQuite BrightOther
I find some of the comments on here very interesting. Some comments reveal that the writer does not have an understanding of the function and purpose of Gwinnett Tech (and other technical colleges). Right now, at least 80% of all jobs require technical training. You may have a 4-year degree, but if your job requires technical training, you may have to return to school for that training. Gwinnett Tech is NOT a place designed as a pre-requisite for attending a 4-year college. You don't go to Gwinnett Tech if you are planning to move on, for the most part..depending on your degree field. Sounds like some of the negative comments come from parents who are expecting a "community college" atmosphere. You won't, and shouldn't, find that at a technical school. Some were offended because they saw someone who was different from what they thought...in dress, appearance, etc. You must realize that Gwinnett Tech opens its doors to everyone, regardless of race, sex, beliefs, etc. You saw diversity. Sorry you were offended. I find that GTC is acadmically challenging for some, too difficult for some, and just right for others. If it is too difficult, you may be offended when your instructor doesn't meet with you endlessly to teach you all the pre-requisite info you may need. No college will do that. If it is too easy, that doesn't mean you should unfairly judge the program. Maybe you are trained and/or gifted in that area. I have had no problem with instructors meeting with me, answering questions, etc. I am in my 2nd year at the college, and already have college degrees and have had careers. I enjoy GTC. There is no "night life", and there should not be. Most of the students have families. GTC does not, and should not, have dorms. Technical schools do not have sports teams, PE classes, and endless clubs. That is not the design for technical colleges. Gwinnett Tech has some of the top programs in the nation in several program areas. Each technical college offers different programs, so you cannot just go to any technical college to get the program of your choice. If you are looking for cheap classes to prepare you for a 4-year college, perhaps you need to move on OR choose your classes very carefully. Some of the classes transfer directly into 4-year colleges, but some do not. That does not mean GTC is not a good school...just means that the content necessary for a technical degree is specific for the programs in that college. They do not necessarily fit requirements for other types of colleges. Please don't judge a good college unfairly. Some of you have done just that. I am a student at GTC and I love it! Instructors should not have to hold your hand to get you to attend, do your work, etc. Also, I had no problem with my credits transferring. If some do have a problem, you need to check your attitude, meet with the correct folks, and find out why your credits don't transfer. I did have to retake one class.....because it had been more than 5 years since I had taken the class. If you are truly interested in getting a quality technical education, I encourage you to look at Gwinnett Technical College. On the other hand, if you seek a 4-year degree and only want cheap classes, move on. GTC is program-specific and not college-general. That's a good thing! GTC is not in existence to entertain you, but is here to provide those of us who wish to attend with an education that will allow us to excel in our industries.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Social Life: C
I wanted to combat some of the negativeQuite BrightPublic Health
I wanted to combat some of the negative reviews. Your education at GTC is the same as anywhere else: what you get out of it is equal to what you put in. I sought out challenging classes with instructors genuinely interested and experienced in their field. I have been working my butt off to truly understand the material instead of just memorizing what I expect to be tested on. Therefore my time at GTC has been well worth it. If you don't want to put the effort into school, why would you be paying to attend?
1st Year Female -- Class 2016