StudentsReview :: Indian Hills Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Indian Hills Community College

The only reason I decided to go toBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
The only reason I decided to go to Indian Hills is because I'm (unfortunately) from Ottumwa, it's very easy and inexpensive to get in, and I live near the campus. I'm only going here to get my A.A. and plan on transferring to the University of Iowa in the fall term of next year.

I've just recently completed my first year here and it's been mostly worthless. I plan on majoring in Business and IHCC has a few Business-related classes here, so on top of working to complete all of those I also have to complete the required classes to get my A.A.

For the most part, the professors I've had are mostly available when you need them. A couple have a really don't-give-a-you-know-what attitude towards the students and the one teacher I had for my Intro to Business class acted like she had no idea what she was teaching (it didn't help that I was literally the only one in that class taking it because I wanted to, 90% of the class were kids from the culinary arts program who were required to take this class).

The students range from 18-year-olds to 60-year-olds and they're all a mixture of dumb and ignorant. A lot of the students are rednecks from out of town and the students who ARE from town give off a holier than thou vibe. As for the town and entertainment aspect, you will NOT find such a thing here. The bars are trashy, there are no clubs. Oh wait, they just opened a new club for the little preteens and highschoolers. The town is incredibly boring and always dead, even during the weekends. Unless you've lived here your whole life or are a very reserved person (or you're a redneck) Ottumwa is the place for you.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Friendliness: B+, Social Life: F
This school is not your ideal school.BrightArt & Design Department
This school is not your ideal school. It has a very small faculty and the program I'm in is very disorganized. I have a few friends in other programs like the health occupations program and they say the same thing too. The competitiveness of the work is 3 out of 5 depending on what your major is. If you are accepted into another college, go there DON'T COME HERE. The people aren't friendly at all and if you are a minority, FORGET IT! You will probably get blank stares everywhere you go, just like my black friends do. Security sucks! They buddy up and play favoritism and never really address any issues. They brush you off if the person you're reporting to them about is a buddy of theirs. Which is very common since you have middle aged and old aged men living in the same dorms as the 17 year olds girls and the 21 year olds girls. Kinda bizzare! And oh, the janitor who cleans the all of the ladies restroom and showers in the dorms is male. Might I add, the school has absolutely NO TRASH CANS IN THE DORMS. This means you have to go out in the cold and throw your trash out at the dumpster which is usually located behind the dormitory buildings. The entire town is dead with no places to visit and almost everything closses at 10pm on the weekdays and at 7pm on weekends! Alot of drugs around especially crystal meth and homelessness too. There is one walmart where everyone of the townspeople shop and they just built a kohls here 3 months ago. The school has no activities and if you didn't know anyone before you came here, making friends is kinda hard since every seems so closeminded. And oh, they really DO NOT care about their students. My friends told me they had to drive in a snow blizzard to clinicals at 5am when everyone else was asked not to attend school that day. When they addressed the issue to the officials of the school on facebook, they just deleted the student's posts and ignored their questions. I guess the only good thing about this school is that if you have a pulse, you can get in.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2010
Useful Schoolwork: C, Individual Value: F
Overall I have had a pretty good experience.Business - Management and Administration
Overall I have had a pretty good experience. Its a very good school if you actually study the material. You dont get a lot of assignments during the term (if any in some cases) which is both good and bad. For me it was ok because because I am a good test taker and thats most of my grade. If you go to class and pay attention you will do just fine. The problem is that it is a community college... Basically if you can breathe you can get in. I didnt really like this because I had a TON of idiots in my classes. Once you get past the general ed classes then you tend to get away from that. It is also nice that there is a direct transfer over to Buena Vista which shares the campus with Indian Hills. The problem (in my case anyway) is that they only offer night classes 2 nights a week. This would be nice if you worked during the day but I am trying to get done as quickly as possible and I can only take 2 classes at a time. Anyway, I double majored in business and pre-engineering I think they called it. Most of their engineering classes are very good (especially chemistry; Dr. Flournoy is second to none) while the math isnt so strong (they need to hire one more professor). I really dont think you would be disappointed at all with Indian Hills and if you want to know anything more specific feel free to send me an email through here.

Ohio Northern University (OH) 1:negative