StudentsReview :: The University of Illinois - Springfield - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL
University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL

The University of Illinois - Springfield

Total Grad Surveys 7
Females 1
Males 6
Avg years at University 1.0
Research Quality B (7.1)
Research Availability B (6.8)
Research Funding B+ (8.0)
Graduate Politics A- (8.1)
Not Errand Runners B+ (7.6)
Degree Completion A (9.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B+ (7.8)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.4)
Competitiveness C+ (5.6)
Education Quality A- (8.3)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.7)
Useful Research A- (8.1)
"Individual" treatment A (9.1)
Friendliness A- (8.5)
Safety B+ (8.0)
Campus Beauty B (7.0)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.3)
University Spending A- (8.2)
Extracurriculars C (4.7)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.4)
Surrounding City C+ (5.7)
Social Life/ Environment C+ (5.0)
ExtracurricularsC
Degree CompletionA
Nov 27 2019Computer Science
Great place to further your studies and learn from excellent professors.
This school is an excellent schoolNov 13 2014Public Policy
This school is an excellent school. But it only works in my opinion if you're going for graduate school, are working adult or majoring in some kind of Government degree.I know they even had an undergrad law degree(not sure about the career options but the students/classes seemed pretty good). It's the State Capitol. That's it strength, and that's what a student should expect. I would take advantage of the state agencies and lobbying groups around the city. There's plenty of them.

Coming from a Big Ten school along with a lot of grad students(who went to schools all across the board) this was a nice change, and seemed good to start a career.

If you're a first time college student looking for a small atmosphere. Then this school is a good option for you. It is a U of I degree, and most people outside of Illinois are not going to care which campus you came from. That being said, there seems to be no social life for undergrad students. And the campus lacks alot of things compared to bigger schools. Also Springfield is pretty much a dead city when it comes with activities to do. You definitely may have a hard time adjusting to finding friends. I know I did at my first school. That being said someone who's interested in government or law school would benefit from this school. Otherwise, I'd look somewhere else to graduate from.

My initial experience at this university has beenOct 14 2013Computer Science
My initial experience at this university has been horrible. Rather than unpack the epic saga of negative experiences I've had, suffice it to say that you should never attend this heaping garbage of a school. That goes doubly for the online program. Just stay away. Go somewhere else, because UIS is going to waste your time and money.
I have just started taking pre-requisites for theirApr 19 2012Computer Science
I have just started taking pre-requisites for their Computer Science Masters program online. I was aloud to register for some upper level courses as i had taken their pre-requisites at another university. Towards the middle of the one of the classes, after it was too late to get a full refund, my professor told me that i was ill prepared for the course. I was also told that the likelihood of me failing was high. I went from having an A to a D in one week. Instead of helping me or being open to what i was trying to explore within the course, i was dismissed. None of my assignments were late. None were incorrectly submitted. None of the code that i wrote contained bugs or compiler errors.

When a student does all the work, has taken the necessary foundational courses, and is willing to learn and is still failing - the problem then lies with the teacher, not the student. Especially if that student currently holds a Masters Degree in a related field of study, thus has the aptitude and the capacity to learn the material. I have since withdrawn from the program and will be gong to another school in the future.

After attending UIS, I came to the conclusionMar 07 2011Social Work
After attending UIS, I came to the conclusion that UIS is pretty much an "after thought" that was not well thought out. The majority of the faculty members are incompetent. They lack the research and knowledge to bring out your skills. All graduate students are advised to do a simple master project. The project is so simple that it will get laughed if one decides to apply to a research institution. The faculty members can benefit from a lesson or book on pedagogy.

I'm not quite sure why the police department which is probably about 3 or 4 men, send out these bogus emails about a black male(s) stealing laptops or computers. The campus is very safe. The worst thing that can happen to you is hitting a deer. The campus is located in a rural, wooded area.

The library is a 1970s, asbestos filled building with heavily soiled outdated furniture&carpet. Most of the chairs smell like urine. My body itch every time I go to the library. The library staff member are rude, especially the toothless, obese lady. But, there are nice periodicals. There are some more up to date buildings. The student morale is low. I have never seen a group of non-smiling, friendly students. UIS is just really isn't a good ideal.

The funding offered andMar 01 2010Political Science
The funding offered and relatively low tuition will easily draw you to the university. But, the faculty is generally incompetent. They are not able to challenge you to bring out research skills that you may have. Most faculty are fishing for ideas and ways to capitalize off students.
This is probably oneFeb 22 2010Political Science
This is probably one of the worst universities in the state of illinois. The professors are absolutely incompetent and try to capitalize off the students work as opposed to trying to help the students succeed.
UIS is a great, small, public policy andApr 12 2008Public Policy
UIS is a great, small, public policy and affairs school. Classes are small, instructors know you by name, and the level of course work is challenging. You know you're at a U of I campus, but without all the added hassles and costs of attending the main campus at Urbana. I highly recommend UIS. It's probably the best kept secret of higher education in Illinois.
Compare UIS/UIllinois-SpringfieldSave UIS/UIllinois-Springfield