StudentsReview :: McDaniel College - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

McDaniel College

Sep 24 2014Physics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm currently a freshman here, and I'm in the middle of my first semester. I used this website to look at every single school I applied to - ten, to be exact. This was the very first school I visited, and I fell in love with it upon first sight.

Back in high school, I did not have very many friends because I really kept to myself; but here, if I am ever bored I can send someone a text and be able to hang out within minutes. Everyone is so friendly. Even if you don't know someone, they will smile and say "hey" as you walk by.

I'm a physics major, which is pretty difficult to say the least but my professor is awesome. He really stresses the idea that we visit him during his office hours if we ever need help, even for the small things. He makes sure we know that he is always here for us and is looking for us to succeed - and every professor is like that.

Coming here, you will NOT be a number. The profs learned everyone's name in my classes within the first week. My largest class is calc 2, and that's because they only offer one time for it in the fall. We have about 20 people. My smallest class has eight.

The food here isn't the best, but it's not as bad as everyone says it is. The dining hall allows you all you can eat which is awesome when you want to hang out and study or be with friends.

I overall absolutely love everything about McDaniel. I love the size because I know almost everyone in my class, and the professors really get to know you on an individual basis.If you are considering this school, please make sure you visit and if possible sit in on a class or spend the weekend - you will not regret it!

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C
Apr 06 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I go to McDaniel, and almost went to Washington, but didn't in the end, and I'm SO glad I didn't. There's a whole circle of private liberal arts schools in the midatlantic, each with their own reputation, and Washington has the worst by far. I've played them in field hockey before, and the girls on the team seemed really rude and snooty, and when I talked to some of them, they all told me that they have almost no work at school...their parents pay their whole tuition, they don't do any work, they play field hockey, and they drink...it was ridiculous, and nothing like what the school had said to me at the open house I went to. It's not a serious school at ALL, apparently. I've heard so many terrible things about that place since I started college. There's a lot of genuinely bright kids there who are broken-spirited because they aren't getting anything for their money. All the other schools in the area really do not like them. We all see them as lazy and rich kids who don't work for anything and party all the time because they're not assigned schoolwork. I'm just putting this out here for any kids who are looking at the midatlantic liberal arts schools. Don't go to this one. They pull out 15 smart kids and use them in all their advertising to make them look like they care about academics. It's a scam.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: C, Faculty Accessibility: F
Feb 09 2014Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
McDaniel is the shittiest little college with the shittiest little people. The campus police make it their mission to bust students--for anything. There's nothing to do but drink, and everyone does, and the CamPO will bust you. CamPO stalk the dorm hallways at all hours of the night. Really. There's nothing like getting up in the middle of the night to pee and bumping into one of those guys outside your door. They barge into rooms in the middle of the night search everything--drawers, fridge--everything till they find something to bust you for. If you happen to be asleep, they report you as "unconscious" as if you were passed out from drug use. The CamPO prowl the halls to bust made up "noise violations." Then there's the disciplinary hearing--the alleged charges include all sorts of things that you did not do and they make you plead guilty. The dean is the prosecutor and your only adviser--they don't call any witnesses who might actually tell your side of the story. The deciding board are a bunch of haters who just want to see you hang. Faculty and coaches leave you hanging out there with no support even though they begged you to come to their school in the first place. There's no evidence that liberal arts free thinking is tolerated. The town is completely gross with housing projects right next door to the campus. There is no shopping within walking distance. The food is horrible.