StudentsReview ™ :: Northwood University Michigan - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

Northwood University Michigan

Northwood hurt me, I should have gone to

Nov 15 2013Business - Management and Administration
Northwood hurt me, I should have gone to a larger school with more opportunities or offerings. Northwood is way over rated, most people leave Northwood to go home and work for their established family business. I was told before I enrolled how great their job placement was, at graduation time little assistance was available. I even knew one guy who was enrolled that did not have a high school diploma...the school just wanted his money. The free enterprise philosophy Northwood promotes is awesome, but not worth 4 years of your life. I would never tell anyone to send their kids there.DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL!
Starting Job: manager Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Jul 16 2013Business - Management and Administration

The price tag is worth the degree.. A lot of students are stuck up but you'll find tons who just wanna have fun.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B

Okay everybody

Nov 25 2012Business - Management and Administration
Okay everybody.. here is the truth about Northwood.
intro to social life: Northwood is 99% what you make it. If you want to have the best time of your life here, you probably can. However, if you expect fun to track you down...you should look elsewhere. There aren't that many kids at this school as I'm sure you've figured out by now. It's very easy to meet people at this school.. Like it's stupid easy. My best advice is to find a good group of people who have similar interests. Northwood is unique in the fact that it's a very diverse yet homogeneous school.. if that makes sense. There are a ton of different people, but it seems that every person here, even the weird kids, are able to find at least two other kids who are just as weird as them.. So to not have friends at this school is nearly impossible...unless you're that kid who just sits there not saying a word to anyone.

Parties:
The party scene at Northwood is strictly Greek. Well at least the parties worth going to. Before coming here there's something very important you should know... and that would be that athletes and Greeks DO NOT GET ALONG....at all.. The football team and the fraternities are pretty much mortal enemies. Because of this, no football players are welcome at Greek parties and the Greeks don't attend any football games...they do still get wasted during tailgating however..

These rivalries aren't physical encounters and such.. just a bunch of bad talking the others.. It's silly, but it's just how it is. A good Northwood party is about 150-200 people. You won't find an NU party without plenty of drinks flowing. If you're going to a party with a positive mindset, you'll have an awesome time. PERIOD.

Greek Life:
Greek life at Northwood is VERY big.. It's much larger than an average campus. We have 6 fraternities and 3 sororities.

Fraternities:
Sororities:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Gamma Delta
Delta Zeta
I'm not here to tell you which fraternities or sororities are good or bad because every person fits in somewhere else. I do intend to pledge a certain fraternity in the spring; however, I have friends in every single fraternity. I would highly recommend joining a fraternity or sorority here. I realize many people say joining one is stupid because you're just paying for friends...lalala ect. but here you're actually able to form so many amazing friendships due to the small numbers in each fraternity. Keep in mind though, Greek life is awesome, but it's not for everyone.

Campus/city appearance:

The campus is in a secluded area about a mile off of the main road. It's actually a very beautiful campus. Thousands of huge trees surround the campus. It's almost like living in a forest. In the fall, watching the leaves change colors is almost a life changing experience. It's honestly something you've never seen till you've seen it at Northwood. We have a few new buildings that are awesome and then we have a few that must be renovated. Jordan hall, south village apartments, and the freshmen dorms need to be rebuilt within the next 5 years. Once those projects are complete, Northwood's campus would be one of the most exceptional in the country. The city of Midland is pretty nice. It's very boring in regards to big social events; however, there is such a nice shopping area with nearly every store you could imagine. Midland is also home to Dow Gardens which is just beautiful. Midland has many nice features. You've just got to look a little for them sometimes.

Academics:
I'm not even going to lie. Northwood isn't that academically challenging to students who have their stuff together. If you go to class regularly and complete assignments regularly, then there's no reason you should EVER have below a 3.25 GPA. Many students do the exact opposite though and fall behind. It's hard to describe the professors because they're all different from the next. There are some who are completely incompetent of teaching and could care less about their students(VERY few) and there are tons who are just awesome and will do anything in their power to help you succeed. There's no such thing as busy work at Northwood. Any assignment given out will be useful to your learning.

Northwood is unique because they let you get straight into your major courses needed for graduation. I'm an automotive marketing major and I'm currently taking the third major course while in the fall semester of my sophomore year. At most universities you're stuck taking basic classes for two years that are just flat-out boring. This keeps a lot of Northwood students from dropping out. They actually get to do what they came here to do which keeps them interested all four years.

Athletics:
Athletics at Northwood are getting better each year it seems. I'm a student athlete here and I feel like we compete at a very high level. Even though we're D2, at times you wouldn't even realize it because all of our athletes could compete at the division I level without problem. The only team that isn't very good is the football team. The team is made up of mostly arrogant individuals who strut around campus each year smiling about their losing record. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty friends on the team, but a lot of the players are in need of a serious reality check. Many of the players pride themselves off of the couple DI walk on offers they received from CMU or EMU and throw it in everyone's faces.

Freshmen dorm life:

In all honesty Northwood doesn't do an awesome job at pairing up roommates, so if you can, arrange one ahead of time. I personally hated my roommate freshman year and ended up moving out like 2 months into school. We were polar opposites. I partied a lot and he stayed in the room playing video games all day long..

anyway.. the dorms are and aren't co-ed .... there's only 1 boys and 1 girls dorm which is connected by the dow commons area ... so in a way they're together and separated at the same time. Visiting hours don't really exist here. You're free to go where ever you want whenever you want for the most part. The doors lock on campus at midnight but if you need to step outside for a smoke or something you can just put a rock in the door and security is usually okay with it as long as you kick the rock out when you're finished. The doors here can easily be ripped open if they're locked but I wouldn't it because the glass breaks easily on the doors and then the security guards get pissed. but before i get too off topic... living in the dorms is definitely something you should experience as a freshman. I met most of my friends from living in the dorms.

Food: I have a love-hate relationship with the food here. Most of the food is decent, but sometimes it can be god awful. Prepare to spend your first couple weeks here on the toilet because the food will run right through you. The cafeteria staff here hates everyone and everyone isn't fond of them either. They don't take much pride in their work because they're apart of a union and can't really be fired for having a bad attitude. NU has three cafeterias.

1. Dow Commons Caf - open from 7sm-7pm ...all you can eat style that you use meal swipes at.
2. Midcaf open from 7-6 .. walk up & order type of caf where you use actual money
3. Wolf Den open from 7pm-11pm ..cafeteria where you go for a late night meal. you can use both meal swipes and money here.

That's really all I have for now. Overall I love going to Northwood and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get an awesome degree while having an awesome time! Come check it out.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015