StudentsReview :: Marymount Manhattan College - Comments and Student Experiences

Fordham University -- Bronx, NY
Marymount College of Fordham University -- Tarrytown, NY

Marymount Manhattan College

DO NOT GO TO MARYMOUNT unless you're lookingQuite BrightOther
DO NOT GO TO MARYMOUNT unless you're looking to be a part of a snooty "exclusive" theatre community. If you are not a theatre major, please do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. You won't fit in here. Everyone here believes they're entitled and continues all of their high school drama. They are all about the spotlight and when someone takes it away from them or denies their spotlight, they scream and claw at you. I had a roommate that wanted to be a star during the first two months of school. I found out after I moved out of that room that the majority of the student body is only at Marymount to "make it big" or "get famous". This girl would constantly explain to us how she has "no competition" and is "better than Idina Menzel" and I think if you're coming to this school to be a star, save yourself the student debt and just go make it big. The faculty supports those who act like this. I dealt with a dumb MT one day who I was working with in a club (since I was an executive in one of the school clubs) and I complained to the Club chair about him not doing what he was supposed to and he gave me the option to "bruise his ego" by publicly dethroning him. The fact this was an option according to the FACULTY says a TON about this school. Please do yourself a favor in not coming here. I was an active member of my class, took full advantage of the city, was very close to much of the student body and faculty, and still had such a horrible experience. (Most people say its those who aren't active in their school that are the most miserable - thats why I feel like I must mention this).
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Innovation: F
I transferred to Marymount from another college, andQuite BrightPerfomance Arts
I transferred to Marymount from another college, and could not be happier with my decision. I am in the Theater Performance major, and all of the faculty I have come in contact with have all been so talented and giving of their time and energy, as well as being fantastic teachers in the classroom. Yes their program is a bit less selective than others, but so many end up dropping out for personal reasons or to pursue other majors, that the amount of performance majors levels out usually after the freshman year. There are so many performance opportunities, both Mainstage and student run. It's a small school, so everyone in each department knows each other and it's quite a tight-knit community. The professors will all know you by name, extend you their help if you need it, and treat you as a unique individual. I can't say enough great things about this school.

That being said, no school is for everyone, and Marymount is no exception. If you want a school you can hide away in the corner at, don't come here: you will get a lot of individualized attention. Also, don't come here if you're a girl trying to pick up guys, there are very few guys here. That being said, you are in the middle of Manhattan, I'm sure you can find somewhere else to get laid.

The dorms are really overpriced, so I would just live off campus if you can. Oh, and if you want a party school, don't come here. There are parties, but it's not a campus school and there are no sororities or frats, so there aren't parties all the time. But again, you're in Manhattan, so there are a ton of places to go out at night that aren't related to Marymount.

Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C+
Please. If you think this is your "dreamQuite BrightPerfomance Arts
Please. If you think this is your "dream school," don't do it. I thought the same. Safe, great location in the city, seems to have a great curriculum, right? NO. NOOOO. I went here for only a semester and feel bad for wasting my parents money. My room mate moved out in the first month cause her program was so bad. Literally, the residence halls are like prison. You will NEVER have a moment of privacy - there's only two lounges in the entire 32 floor building, and they are always occupied with annoying people screaming and shit. The professors are literally not qualified and don't teach you anything. I learned more in high school. The attendance policy is insane - don't try to miss even a class here. You're sick? You can't make it? You will be penalized for it. Everything is overpriced in terms of food and they barely have any options. If you express a problem, all of the faculty acts so offended and shady about everything. If you're looking to go here for academics - you could do better. They will neglect you. If you're looking to go here for the arts - you won't get any internships, performance opportunities, etc until your senior year. They don't teach you. The student body here is beyond annoying and pretentious along with the faculty. There isn't a place to relax in the dorms. The library is small and almost always full. The worst part is if you want to transfer, most of MMC credits don't transfer to normal schools. YOU WILL HATE IT! I'm trying to save your life right now. Feel free to contact me, i would love to answer your questions.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018