StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

I spentQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I spent a year at St Johns and left due to the low quality of student on campus. St Johns should be sued for misrepresenting its student body to applicants. I graduated from a local high school with a 93 average and received a partial scholarship at St.johns. The brochure was beautiful all these academic minded students smiling looking collegiate and when you tour you are shown more of the same. However this is a lie. St Johns in its life mission accepts and gives full rides to students who really don't give a shit about studying, learning or bettering themselves. They pull students from the ghetto with violent pasts in fact when I was there someone brought in a gun and shot it off in MY DORM!!! That's when I decided the ghetto school is no longer for me. I believe they started a new English program because I could here hey, muther fucka where u been at on a daily basis and I sincerely believe that must have been part of the curriculum.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
I did not originally want to come toBrightChemistry
I did not originally want to come to this school for no particular reason other than I just wanted to go somewhere else. However I am the type of person that doesn't like changing locale. Now that I am here I really dont want to go ( not because I love it here). This school is whatever but what makes it more on the meh side is the cost. This university will cost you an arm and a leg to attend when there are cheaper schools else-where that offer you more. I have no idea why this school is so expensive and if I could give you any advice it would be to carefully watch financial aid, they will charge you ridiculous fees from no where. Activity fees, New Student fees, Lab fees, Payment plan fees, Damage deposits, "General" fees, they will even charge you fees for taking a global language when it's required to take a global language! This school wants nothing from you but your money. And it is proven that tuition costs go up each year by 1-3% One year your tuition will be 57,985 and the next 58,400 or something ridiculous like that. By time I graduate tuition will literally be over 60k. And a word to the wise, financial aid changes every year, the grants you get freshmen year you will probably not get sophomore. I am a freshman and recieved almost 10,000$ in grants which I will have to pay for out of pocket or in loans next year. I dont want to leave becasue Im comfortable but what can you do? No bachelors in the world is worth being 120-130,000$ in debt.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Scholastic Success: A, Useful Schoolwork: D
I was a division I athlete at St.Quite BrightPsychology
I was a division I athlete at St. John's, so take my experience with a grain of salt- but there's a number of great things and a number of horrible things about this school. As a psych major, I pretty much breezed by. I rarely attended class due to heavy involvement in sports- especially in season- but online classes are usually a breeze. Living on campus is pretty awful- its dry, and besides the 2 bars directly next to school, its a shlup to get into the city. Its definitely falsely advertised as "20 minutes from the heart of NY"- its a 15 minute walk or bus to the subway, and easily 45 minutes at least to the first stop in Manhattan. I hated the general student body- made up mostly of Jersey shore pricks and kids from long island- and they preach diversity, but lets be real- most students first language is Korean. The athletic department is small, however, so if you play a sport.. you'll have a tight-knit group of friends and a great support system. To be a regular student here, though, and pay 56$000 a year is completely absurd. You will never get your money's worth as far as education goes. And 95% of the student body will move off campus after freshmen year, if they're not already commuters or they're not an RA. However, because there's hardly anything to do after you get sick of Trads or Parsons, you'll definitely have a great group of friends to figure out other stuff to do with. My best piece of advise would be this: don't come here unless you have school almost entirely paid for. There's a lot of job opportunities for you here because you can get into NYC, but I can count the useful classes I took here on one hand. And the culture is truly awful, unless Nicki Minaj and 50 Cent are your role models.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015