StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU COME HERE! I

Oct 27 2014Communications
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU COME HERE! I transferred here from a community college and I wish I would have done more research on this university. Yeah its hyped to come here, come on you get to say you got St Johns University the name carries weight. On the campus tour they will hype it up to seem like the most amazing school ever but once you get in they don't care about you! You are a walking dollar sign, they will get to not only stay longer but to make you pay for everything you want to do. They also require you to take three theology and philosophy courses. Also, be weary about your credit evaluation if you decide to transfer! Thats why this is my first and last semester! Because of the extra courses they require I wouldn't have been able to graduate with my class but the year after that is why I am deciding to leave as soon as possible! If you do decide to go here apply early so that you can get a good dorm room if you stay on campus. You must be social to have fun, little to no people here are overly nice like that and greek life bares little to no presence. I've seen plenty of flyers for events they hold but that is all.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F

The school pretty much only cares about whether

Feb 19 2014Linguistics
The school pretty much only cares about whether or not they're going to get money from you. Even my advisor has said to me many a time that this school will not hesitate for a second to charge you for something. Considering how much money I pay a year (56K to be exact), I expected SO much more. In my residence hall, one of the two elevators has been out of order since before we left for winter break! They spend our tuition money on things that only last a day (at most) like a huge fireworks display for a christmas tree lighting ceremony. They get 56K minimum per student and yet our dance team still had to create a gofundme account to be able to go to a competition. This is supposed to be a really good basketball school but the team is terrible!
Surrounding City: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

St. John's is an enigma

Feb 22 2014Political Science
St. John's is an enigma.
Yes, college is what you make of it. But sometimes schools are not what you expected when you signed up.

This is the case with St. John's. It presents itself as a hub to the city- merely a subway ride away, and you're in downtown Manhattan.

And yes, they were right about this.
But that's not the point. The point is to love the things that are on your campus, and that's something that I had trouble with. The social life here? It's pretty awful. There's a local bar named Trad's where you're overcharged for gallons of who-the-hell-knows-what piss warm beer, but the "fun" lasts no more than a few weeks. Frat parties take place off campus and feel isolated unless you're in with that crowd. I wasn't, and I feel like my entire social life was devoid because of it.

And that leads me to what I think St. John's still is- A commuter school with dorms. This school hasn't had enough time to really build strong the extracurriculars here, and the only chance of finding a new thrill is taking the F to Manhattan, which becomes a tiring trip.

If you're looking for a school with top notch Professors, you can find that. My Political Science teacher (Dr. Peccorella) was probably the best and coolest teacher I've ever had in any level of schooling. You can get a great education here, especially if your scholarship matches and makes it a cheaper buy.

However, if you're not a drinker or frat-oriented, have fun walking alone to Monty's every night.I hope you don't end up like me, in a position where I have to transfer out. Best of luck to you.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018