StudentsReview ™ :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

St. John's is an enigma

Feb 22 2014Political Science
St. John's is an enigma.
Yes, college is what you make of it. But sometimes schools are not what you expected when you signed up.

This is the case with St. John's. It presents itself as a hub to the city- merely a subway ride away, and you're in downtown Manhattan.

And yes, they were right about this.
But that's not the point. The point is to love the things that are on your campus, and that's something that I had trouble with. The social life here? It's pretty awful. There's a local bar named Trad's where you're overcharged for gallons of who-the-hell-knows-what piss warm beer, but the "fun" lasts no more than a few weeks. Frat parties take place off campus and feel isolated unless you're in with that crowd. I wasn't, and I feel like my entire social life was devoid because of it.

And that leads me to what I think St. John's still is- A commuter school with dorms. This school hasn't had enough time to really build strong the extracurriculars here, and the only chance of finding a new thrill is taking the F to Manhattan, which becomes a tiring trip.

If you're looking for a school with top notch Professors, you can find that. My Political Science teacher (Dr. Peccorella) was probably the best and coolest teacher I've ever had in any level of schooling. You can get a great education here, especially if your scholarship matches and makes it a cheaper buy.

However, if you're not a drinker or frat-oriented, have fun walking alone to Monty's every night.I hope you don't end up like me, in a position where I have to transfer out. Best of luck to you.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Friendliness: F

The school pretty much only cares about whether

Feb 19 2014Linguistics
The school pretty much only cares about whether or not they're going to get money from you. Even my advisor has said to me many a time that this school will not hesitate for a second to charge you for something. Considering how much money I pay a year (56K to be exact), I expected SO much more. In my residence hall, one of the two elevators has been out of order since before we left for winter break! They spend our tuition money on things that only last a day (at most) like a huge fireworks display for a christmas tree lighting ceremony. They get 56K minimum per student and yet our dance team still had to create a gofundme account to be able to go to a competition. This is supposed to be a really good basketball school but the team is terrible!
Surrounding City: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

It's really what you

Jan 22 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
It's really what you make out of it. If you come in here with an open mind, you'll really enjoy yourself. This school had a lot to offer and it's there for students to take advantage of.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016