StudentsReview :: St John's University New York - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL

St John's University New York

I was a division I athlete at St.Quite BrightPsychology
I was a division I athlete at St. John's, so take my experience with a grain of salt- but there's a number of great things and a number of horrible things about this school. As a psych major, I pretty much breezed by. I rarely attended class due to heavy involvement in sports- especially in season- but online classes are usually a breeze. Living on campus is pretty awful- its dry, and besides the 2 bars directly next to school, its a shlup to get into the city. Its definitely falsely advertised as "20 minutes from the heart of NY"- its a 15 minute walk or bus to the subway, and easily 45 minutes at least to the first stop in Manhattan. I hated the general student body- made up mostly of Jersey shore pricks and kids from long island- and they preach diversity, but lets be real- most students first language is Korean. The athletic department is small, however, so if you play a sport.. you'll have a tight-knit group of friends and a great support system. To be a regular student here, though, and pay 56$000 a year is completely absurd. You will never get your money's worth as far as education goes. And 95% of the student body will move off campus after freshmen year, if they're not already commuters or they're not an RA. However, because there's hardly anything to do after you get sick of Trads or Parsons, you'll definitely have a great group of friends to figure out other stuff to do with. My best piece of advise would be this: don't come here unless you have school almost entirely paid for. There's a lot of job opportunities for you here because you can get into NYC, but I can count the useful classes I took here on one hand. And the culture is truly awful, unless Nicki Minaj and 50 Cent are your role models.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: A+, Social Life: D
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU COME HERE! IAverageCommunications
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU COME HERE! I transferred here from a community college and I wish I would have done more research on this university. Yeah its hyped to come here, come on you get to say you got St Johns University the name carries weight. On the campus tour they will hype it up to seem like the most amazing school ever but once you get in they don't care about you! You are a walking dollar sign, they will get to not only stay longer but to make you pay for everything you want to do. They also require you to take three theology and philosophy courses. Also, be weary about your credit evaluation if you decide to transfer! Thats why this is my first and last semester! Because of the extra courses they require I wouldn't have been able to graduate with my class but the year after that is why I am deciding to leave as soon as possible! If you do decide to go here apply early so that you can get a good dorm room if you stay on campus. You must be social to have fun, little to no people here are overly nice like that and greek life bares little to no presence. I've seen plenty of flyers for events they hold but that is all.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F
St. John's is an enigma.Quite BrightPolitical Science
St. John's is an enigma.
Yes, college is what you make of it. But sometimes schools are not what you expected when you signed up.

This is the case with St. John's. It presents itself as a hub to the city- merely a subway ride away, and you're in downtown Manhattan.

And yes, they were right about this.
But that's not the point. The point is to love the things that are on your campus, and that's something that I had trouble with. The social life here? It's pretty awful. There's a local bar named Trad's where you're overcharged for gallons of who-the-hell-knows-what piss warm beer, but the "fun" lasts no more than a few weeks. Frat parties take place off campus and feel isolated unless you're in with that crowd. I wasn't, and I feel like my entire social life was devoid because of it.

And that leads me to what I think St. John's still is- A commuter school with dorms. This school hasn't had enough time to really build strong the extracurriculars here, and the only chance of finding a new thrill is taking the F to Manhattan, which becomes a tiring trip.

If you're looking for a school with top notch Professors, you can find that. My Political Science teacher (Dr. Peccorella) was probably the best and coolest teacher I've ever had in any level of schooling. You can get a great education here, especially if your scholarship matches and makes it a cheaper buy.

However, if you're not a drinker or frat-oriented, have fun walking alone to Monty's every night.I hope you don't end up like me, in a position where I have to transfer out. Best of luck to you.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Friendliness: F
St John's University New York
Compare SJUNYSave SJUNY

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→