StudentsReview :: The College of Wooster - Comments and Student Experiences

Earlham College -- Richmond, IN

The College of Wooster

Dec 17 2014Unknown
The College of Wooster should be thought
of as two separate entities: The faculty and
the administration. Taken as a whole I think
the faculty is top notch. I would not trade the
academic experience that I had for anything.
However, the administration absolutely
nullifies anything positive that I would say
to a prospective student. Administration and
Security both turned the College into a racket.
The security officers are either active or former
Police officers. Many other colleges reprimand
students academically as opposed to calling
Police, but this College itches to catch you
on any possible infraction, call an on duty
Officer, and deliver underage drinking
or possession charges. This didn't happen
To me, but the change happened while
I was in attendance and many people
I know graduated with it on their records.
To get to the point, if you can fly under
the radar, a degree from this College
is great for future employment, but
always remember they are out to getyou and your money.
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A+
Sep 19 2014Physics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The College of Wooster is great for feeding into graduate school and giving preparation for students in terms of research and doing homework.

However, everything else is abysmal. The college is insanely expensive. $43000 per year in tuition. $9000 per year for a room (which you have to share with another person, and you must share bathrooms/kitchens with dozens of other), which is about $1100 per month for the 8 months per year that you are allowed to be in your room. The cost of food is also about $5000 per year, which is about $26 a day for 1 single cafeteria, 2 starbucks, and a fast food burger shack.

The college also has NO CAREER FAIRS whatsoever, and the only recruiters that come to campus are from Teach for America and the Peace Corps. Do NOT COME TO WOOSTER IF YOU WANT A JOB AFTER YOU GRADUATE. Professors also never have industry connections.

Other things: Textbooks are a racket (like they are elsewhere). If you take intro chem or intro physics, plan to spend $230 per class (even from, say, amazon) on a single textbook+online HW.

No dorm rooms have AC, so in the first and last months of each year all rooms (except for one or two houses) are 90 degrees or higher Fahrenheit during the day.

It is also impossible to get scheduling done right, too. Most classes that are required for your major are only going to be offered twice at all during your 4 year stay. One of those will be either too early (fresh, soph) or too late (jun, sen) for you to take. Plan on not being able to take some classes due to scheduling conflicts, because most classes aren't offered more than once per year (except intro classes)!Please do not go here...there are so many reasons. If you want, contact any upper-level student and just ask them to list them all.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: C
Sep 18 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I love the people here. I'm involved in a group of things whether it be sports or greek life or academic clubs. Things like this make the college experience more enjoyable. However I feel I could have had this experience at any other school. This school is especially great at screwing you in any way. If it wasn't for my friends and connections I've made, I would have transferred. DO NOT FALL for admissions little traps. I've come to realize most of what they say stretches the truth. This school has killed the party scene and treats most students as babies. Ok we get it alcohol is dangerous but we are adults and these are our decisions. We work hard all week and want to enjoy ourselves over the weekend. Not get more stressed out because campus security is all over us. I came here on my overnight because I had a good time at a party. I also saw myself fitting in with people that I did meet. It's terrible now with this entire party monitor system and no party game rules and all this complete garbage. Some people that run all this complete crap clearly never had any fun in college and they are making it there goal to kill the scene as well as make college a miserable experience like they probably had. Something I learned in my principles of economics class was unintended consequences. I cannot believe how blind the administration is. All they are doing by enforcing their strict rules is to promote people sneaking in hard liquor and chugging it instead of enjoying it. Promote drunk driving because people are now looking off campus to party. And by pissing off students which makes them want to destroy and damage the campus as a message to the system. I can assure you most people that enjoyed college and have great stories are stories that they got to enjoy the weekend with their drinks and have some drinks at parties without security who acts as a police force intervening in everything that you do. I hate that I have to give them tuition money which is completely over priced. The dorm quality here is terrible as well. They fit 2 people into a room meant for 1. 3 people meant for people for 2. Just to save money so that administration staff can get their "bonuses". All the academic buildings are nice and refurbished and these dorms are out dated and too small for comfort. The rooms they show you in the tour will of course be the cleanest and biggest. I would have transferred a long time ago if it wasn't for the friends I have made. Overall I do not recommend this college. Just as advice though to enjoy college is to make as many friends and no to be afraid to be out there. I'm always excited to get off summer and winter break to get back to college but now I hate this place because of administration.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017