StudentsReview :: The Rhode Island School of Design

Describes the faculty as: Friendly, Helpful

ACT:
Intelligence
B-
She cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Major: Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
I am content with my time at RISD. I am almost halfway through my Senior year here and like everything in life there have been ups and downs, but more ups I would say. I have really lucked out with nearly all of my professors in my department and in Liberal Arts. I can only name one or two teachers who were really disappointing and I believe both of them are no longer employed at RISD. In my Department, we are required to take critique classes as well as a Seminar which I am in now that basically teaches us the "business" of the art world we are entering. I feel fully prepared to apply for grants, jobs, and to graduate institutions. I am fully involved and motivated in MY OWN art, which is the most important thing I am taking away from RISD. Even in a troubling economy, I don't feel RISD has failed me in any way, even if attaining jobs and grants is difficult for me later. My teachers have taught me how, so getting the things I want falls on MY shoulders now. I do think that some facilities could be improved upon, and that there should be MORE studio space (I have a studio, but I wish it were bigger...). I attended European Honors Program, and believe that it is the most enriching experiences RISD has to offer, and I highly recommend applying for it. However, on the program I also found the facilities at RISD's Rome Campus sub-par. I don't like Providence. I think it is a charming town to visit but it is boring and the people here are dull. I am tired of it... That being said I MAINTAIN that I chose RISD for the education, and though it was hard being a younger student here, the older I get the more I can appreciate how worthwhile RISD's faculty, resources, and reputation is to my future as an artist in the real world. RISD is hard, but you WILL make good grades in through sophomore, junior, and senior years because you won't pass freshman year if you can't hack it. I haven't made below a B- in any class and the only people I know who failed classes freshman year no longer attend RISD. YES, ITS REAL HARD WORK. Not just drawing from still lives which gets you NO where in the art world today. RISD is for serious contemporary artists. I want to speak to freshmen or incoming freshmen to choose your majors wisely, and visit the faculty of the departments. You can always switch majors if you don't feel you are getting what you want out of a department. Printmaking and sculpture faculty are realistic and engaging. I don't feel the same about some of the other fine arts departments.

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY