StudentsReview :: Loyola University Chicago

Campus Aesthetics/BeautyB FriendlinessB-
Campus MaintenanceB Social LifeD+
Surrounding CityA+ Extra CurricularsD
SafetyB-

Describes the student body as: Afraid

Describes the faculty as: Friendly, Unhelpful

ACT:
Intelligence
Not so bright
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
Loyola was a good university but its not for everyone, it certainly wasn?t for me. I just graduated high school and my first choice denied me so I went to Loyola with plans to transfer, horrible idea! As a minority I felt very alone on campus. There?s no intellectual vibe or students who aspire to do anything great, besides getting drunk every night, or idk maybe that was just kids in my dorm. But exploring the campus and riding the bus downtown everyone seemed uninviting and distant.

Loyola is a community college education that charges an arm and a leg; I left after one semester and transferred to UChicago in Hyde Park. Loyola charged me the full price even though I was there for only one semester. This is nothing but a money hungry college that quickly gets you in debt!

There?s absolutely no diversity, not only in race but no diversity of the mind either. Everyone seemed to think the same and only wanted to party, no one wanted to go downtown or explore Chicago?s interesting neighborhoods. If you?re a minority, unless raised around white people, DO NOT COME TO LOYOLA! They were always surprised at how smart I was for some reason, I found this quiet annoying, and this told me that kids here come from all white upper class communities. They also brought up the usual suburban stereotypes about minorities and expected me to like a certain type of music.

I took 5 classes my first and only semester, out of those five classes I had one professor who was accessible and helpful. There was one professor who wasn?t even available on the office hours she wrote on the syllabus. The classes were crowded with 30-40 students and it?s easy to get lost in the crowd. It isn?t personal at all.

Overall I can say my experience at Loyola was 80% negative and 20% positive. The 20% comes from the good roommates and a very helpful professor who assisted me in transferring. The 80% comes from the one semester of 14k debt, closed-minded students, inaccessible faculty, no good housing system, and a waste of valuable time
questionHow do you like Uchicago? Is it worth the price? As a minority, hearing about the close mindedness of people really caught my eye.

responseYou really have a problem with diversity at Loyola? Evidently you didn't poke you head out of your dorm room and really see the student body, there are numerous groups on campus and student representatives from every ethnicity. My friend group is composed of students from all over the US and who have family in many different counties and cultures. I'm sorry to hear your experience was so bad, but it definitely was not at the fault of the University. You just didn't use your resources properly. To the person who asked the question: Loyola is a very diverse place and I found it is less clique-y than UChicago (my significant other attends that university so I have spent every other weekend there for the past 4 years. If you are looking for a super in-depth experience with the international community you will be able to find that at UoC, but you might have some trouble breaking into the social cliques of the different groups. The cultural barriers are much greater in that student body).