StudentsReview :: Grand Canyon University - Comments and Student Experiences

Long Island University Brooklyn -- Brooklyn, NY

Grand Canyon University

I got four scholarships

Oct 15 2014Education
I got four scholarships - for the most amount of money they allow you to use.I am a ground student but I take mostly online classes, I prefer it that way.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B

This school is a joke

Jul 31 2014Education
This school is a joke. I majored in secondary education with a biology emphasis. Upon completion of the program I found my subject knowledge preparation to be woefully inadequate despite my straight A, 4.0 average. The classes designed to help me prepare as a teacher were also well short of the mark even though I aced all my classes. I feel like I flushed $60,000 dollars down the toilet; what a rip off.
Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: F

The counselors at this school are horrible

Aug 06 2014Communications
The counselors at this school are horrible. When I cashed mine for help he never would answer his phone. I would leave messages & never get a call back. It got to the point where I would have to ask to get transferred to another counselor who just give me the runaround anyway. I finally decided to just transfer. I'm paying you $6000 out of pocket. I expect better quality service.

As for the students, it will feel just like high school. The campus is considerably small so basically everyone knows each other which means there's a lot of gossiping & drama. There are also a lot of GCU pages on Twitter or Instagram that just pop up. There are people that you'll meet that will be super nice but there also a lot of those who will soar to be nice cuz they feel they have to be because they're Christian but you can tell don't really like you. And there's a handful who are just rude & feel they're better than you.

Campus wise, the surrounding area sucks. It's kind of ghetto, that's why the school is gated. There's not really any closer entertaining places to just walk to. If you wanna get anywhere remotely entertaining you must have a car. Also, since the school is constantly using our money to build and expand the campus it's constantly under construction. It has been this way for at least the past 4yrs.My advice: don't go here. There are way better schools in better cities. Phoenix is really ridiculously hot. Unless you like your weather like that.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016