StudentsReview :: Grand Canyon University - Comments and Student Experiences

Long Island University Brooklyn -- Brooklyn, NY

Grand Canyon University

This school is a joke

Jul 31 2014Education
This school is a joke. I majored in secondary education with a biology emphasis. Upon completion of the program I found my subject knowledge preparation to be woefully inadequate despite my straight A, 4.0 average. The classes designed to help me prepare as a teacher were also well short of the mark even though I aced all my classes. I feel like I flushed $60,000 dollars down the toilet; what a rip off.
Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: F

The counselors at this school are horrible

Aug 06 2014Communications
The counselors at this school are horrible. When I cashed mine for help he never would answer his phone. I would leave messages & never get a call back. It got to the point where I would have to ask to get transferred to another counselor who just give me the runaround anyway. I finally decided to just transfer. I'm paying you $6000 out of pocket. I expect better quality service.

As for the students, it will feel just like high school. The campus is considerably small so basically everyone knows each other which means there's a lot of gossiping & drama. There are also a lot of GCU pages on Twitter or Instagram that just pop up. There are people that you'll meet that will be super nice but there also a lot of those who will soar to be nice cuz they feel they have to be because they're Christian but you can tell don't really like you. And there's a handful who are just rude & feel they're better than you.

Campus wise, the surrounding area sucks. It's kind of ghetto, that's why the school is gated. There's not really any closer entertaining places to just walk to. If you wanna get anywhere remotely entertaining you must have a car. Also, since the school is constantly using our money to build and expand the campus it's constantly under construction. It has been this way for at least the past 4yrs.My advice: don't go here. There are way better schools in better cities. Phoenix is really ridiculously hot. Unless you like your weather like that.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F

I completed my undergraduate degree as a BSN

Jul 27 2014Nursing
I completed my undergraduate degree as a BSN here at GCU after 12 years experience as a RN and 7 years in EMS. The curriculum in the BSN program is reasonable, challenging and does require some effort on the students part to perform research and required course work. I will agree that some course work was easier than others, but that is the same with any university.

I've been to the campus and I am very impressed with the cleanliness and approachability of the staff and students. For being a Christian University, their faith and morals on helping a student succeed is top quality. I have spoke with a couple of different counselors (financial, academic, etc), but I keep in close contact with Roslen Tejada who has been phenomenal in support and encouragement throughout my education process.

I took the time to read some of both the positive and negative comments for this University and I would have to say I agree with some (like the CLC projects) and highly disagree with many of the negative comments. My suggestion....people who attend college should be expected to perform at a college level (maturity and educationally) and GCU will hold you accountable. They do a terrific job and like many students, it is important to take advantage of every opportunity and assistance that the University has to offer.

In conclusion: I would highly recommend GCU to those students who are able to take initiative, have great leadership qualities, are able to learn independently and invest the time into their education. If you have any questions regarding my educational experience here at GCU (of which I'm a graduate student as well), you are more than welcome to contact me.

Cheers!Dave Milbourne, RN, BSN, CCRN