StudentsReview :: Biola University - Comments and Student Experiences

Biola University

Great school

Feb 08 2014Kinesiology
Great school. Great professors. Great school events. Great bible classes. Variety of majors. Small class sizes. Very expensive but the experience is worth it. Love the mandatory conferences and chapel, it allows you to grow as an individual not only intellectual. Love my choice in attending. Don't want to leave!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: B-

Biola is a terrific school for a lot

Feb 23 2013Other
Biola is a terrific school for a lot of people. I really enjoyed my time there and met a lot of great friends. It developed my spirituality and I learned a lot about Biblical things. Unfortunately, my long term plan was lacking. Remember one thing. Name recognition. Biola is virtually unknown outside of southern CA or the west coast. Even religious organizations on the east coast have never heard of it and assume that it is some small Bible college. This is a huge problem if you head east and look for work. Now, I could have gone to a much better school and looking back, I probably should have. I struggled for 4 years since I graduated barely able to find work in my field or in Christian ministries. Now, I'm back in school, at law school in a T20 school, hopefully to turn my career around. If you know what you want to go into (like Missionary work, Christian ed, Ministry, or grad studies elsewhere) and you know you want to stay where Biola is recognized, go ahead. Otherwise, seek elsewhere. My new advice for all students looking at colleges is, in this economy, go to the best school you can. Biola was not that the best school I could have gotten into and I have had to deal with the ramifications of that for quite some time.
Starting Job: PRogram Associate Preparedness: D Reputation: F

I went to Biola University for the wrong

Feb 03 2013English
I went to Biola University for the wrong reasons, I admit. I was a dreamer my senior year of high school, and just wanted to get out of town. I flew south to California, loving the culture and how much there was to do, but unfortunately was not accepted into my dream school. I went with Biola instead.

If you love Jesus more than anything and are willing to have him come into every aspect of your life, Biola is the school for you. Unfortunately, for those of us who love Jesus but also enjoy other people's views, and are more toward the liberal side of the spectrum, Biola is a rough fit. I've struggled with substance abuse, depression, etc, and I feel alone among a mob of cookie-cutter, Orange-County-perfect christian men and women who haven't had to deal with a serious problem in their entire lives.

I thought Biola would be like other Christian universities, where there is a crowd of super-believers, as I call them, and some who are open-minded believers. While both crowd exist at Biola, the super-believers outrageously outnumber the rest of us.So if you're like me and desperately trying to get out of your hometown and into the adventurous world of Southern California, I recommend going to a different university unless, of course, you are that cookie-cutter, flawless, incredibly nice Christian who wants God in their lives every day and every way.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016