StudentsReview :: Eckerd College - Comments and Student Experiences

Rollins College -- Winter Park, FL
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Eckerd College

Eckerd College is a one of a kind

Jul 08 2014Political Science
Eckerd College is a one of a kind experience. I attended the school for two years and loved every minute of it for the most part. The dorms make it a very sociable school however they are very old and run down. The campus is beautiful and like no other college in the US. My only problem with eckerd was not knowing where my money was going in the long run considering a lot of the buildings are run down and the food is not very good. Another issue I had were watching a lot of my friends graduate from Eckerd and not finding any jobs.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B-

The faculty at Eckerd are phenomenal, however the

Aug 12 2013Religion/Religious
The faculty at Eckerd are phenomenal, however the student body leaves much to be desired. If Eckerd were somehow transplanted to the northeast, equipped with serious students, it would be just as prestigious as any Amherst or Williams. But, unfortunately, most of the student body is more preoccupied with partying and the beach, and a significant portion attends only for the nice weather. While I consider myself pretty laid back, I was amazed at how little most students care about academics. I was only able to find four or five other students that significantly cared about their work. There is not a strong academic atmosphere on campus, or even much of a minority of academically minded students. That being said, I do believe that Eckerd is a College that Changes Lives. I met many Seniors who had been less driven when they entered college, but with the help of amazing faculty, were able to find their passion. If you are someone who needs a "second chance", Eckerd may be a good choice. But if you are already pretty driven and interested in learning, Eckerd may not be the right fit for you.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Friendliness: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

I will never forget my awful time there

Nov 04 2013Other
I will never forget my awful time there at EC. I came all the way from upstate NY excited to study marine biology only to find out this was just another mini version of high school, or a high school of "hippies". I came for their summer program before the actual term began where you took your choice of one course to take all day every day kinda thing. It was very bizarre and hard to choose just one from the huge selection of courses they offered. It felt like I was at summer camp. The people were immature, clicky, rude and close minded. I remember the recycling bins were always overflowing with beer cans and pot being smoked all the time. Sometimes I could smell it in my room..which was on the second floor. The paryting was ridiculous, people were so into gossip. Way too much. The guys I talked to were slimey and disgusting, treated women with NO respect, like meat. One girl got raped at a party while I was there...def made me feel real safe. Pot was always smoked at those nasty picnic tables. Drugs always around. If you didnt fit into their "hippie" style you really were just not noticed. I stayed in my dorm a lot, thankfully my roommate lived close by so I had it to myself. The dorms are disgusting, they shouldn't even be allowed for students to live in there anymore, the bathroom is so awful. I didn't even feel clean after showering, the shower curtain was a tiny piece of plastic. Having a co-ed dorm is also a llittle not okay, DEF not a good idea. I remember one kid and I getting into a serious argument about the army, def a "liberal" school haha not so liberal when there is no openness at all.

Good school for marine science, but the professors were bland and rude.
You need to stay on point with your studies to succeed and not goof or party off all the time like everyone else. Its hard not to get pressured or bored.

St. pete is beautiful, you need a car to get around anywhere if not you are locked into the campus its very tiring after a while. You tend to see the same people all the time and know everything that goes on wit heveryone...again high school scene. Rich yuppie faux hippies from the Hamptons???and elsewere really?! hahaha.

I stole a bio book from there once...he never even knew it was gone haha.
wouldn't reccommed it. too expensive for what they offer.
if you like the whole sublime-trippy-fake hippie rich kid scene go right ahead.
too much pot really made some kids lose education not gain it.glad i got out ASAP!!!

Preparedness: F Reputation: F