StudentsReview ™ :: Eckerd College - Comments and Student Experiences

Rollins College -- Winter Park, FL
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Eckerd College

I will never forget my awful time there

Nov 04 2013Other
I will never forget my awful time there at EC. I came all the way from upstate NY excited to study marine biology only to find out this was just another mini version of high school, or a high school of "hippies". I came for their summer program before the actual term began where you took your choice of one course to take all day every day kinda thing. It was very bizarre and hard to choose just one from the huge selection of courses they offered. It felt like I was at summer camp. The people were immature, clicky, rude and close minded. I remember the recycling bins were always overflowing with beer cans and pot being smoked all the time. Sometimes I could smell it in my room..which was on the second floor. The paryting was ridiculous, people were so into gossip. Way too much. The guys I talked to were slimey and disgusting, treated women with NO respect, like meat. One girl got raped at a party while I was there...def made me feel real safe. Pot was always smoked at those nasty picnic tables. Drugs always around. If you didnt fit into their "hippie" style you really were just not noticed. I stayed in my dorm a lot, thankfully my roommate lived close by so I had it to myself. The dorms are disgusting, they shouldn't even be allowed for students to live in there anymore, the bathroom is so awful. I didn't even feel clean after showering, the shower curtain was a tiny piece of plastic. Having a co-ed dorm is also a llittle not okay, DEF not a good idea. I remember one kid and I getting into a serious argument about the army, def a "liberal" school haha not so liberal when there is no openness at all.

Good school for marine science, but the professors were bland and rude.
You need to stay on point with your studies to succeed and not goof or party off all the time like everyone else. Its hard not to get pressured or bored.

St. pete is beautiful, you need a car to get around anywhere if not you are locked into the campus its very tiring after a while. You tend to see the same people all the time and know everything that goes on wit heveryone...again high school scene. Rich yuppie faux hippies from the Hamptons???and elsewere really?! hahaha.

I stole a bio book from there once...he never even knew it was gone haha.
wouldn't reccommed it. too expensive for what they offer.
if you like the whole sublime-trippy-fake hippie rich kid scene go right ahead.
too much pot really made some kids lose education not gain it.glad i got out ASAP!!!

Preparedness: F Reputation: F

The faculty at Eckerd are phenomenal, however the

Aug 12 2013Religion/Religious
The faculty at Eckerd are phenomenal, however the student body leaves much to be desired. If Eckerd were somehow transplanted to the northeast, equipped with serious students, it would be just as prestigious as any Amherst or Williams. But, unfortunately, most of the student body is more preoccupied with partying and the beach, and a significant portion attends only for the nice weather. While I consider myself pretty laid back, I was amazed at how little most students care about academics. I was only able to find four or five other students that significantly cared about their work. There is not a strong academic atmosphere on campus, or even much of a minority of academically minded students. That being said, I do believe that Eckerd is a College that Changes Lives. I met many Seniors who had been less driven when they entered college, but with the help of amazing faculty, were able to find their passion. If you are someone who needs a "second chance", Eckerd may be a good choice. But if you are already pretty driven and interested in learning, Eckerd may not be the right fit for you.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Friendliness: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

I graduated from Florida Presbyterian College, Eckerd, befor

Aug 28 2012Biology
I graduated from Florida Presbyterian College, Eckerd, before it changed its name.
The education was OK. For years I loved the college, wore my class ring, and told people it was where I got my real, basic education.

But over the years I became more and more disillusioned by the treatment I received as an alumnus. I tried to participate in the learning community I had thought was Eckerd, but the only questions the college had were: How much can you give? and Can you attract new students?

Finally, I applied for a job at Eckerd. It so happened that I applied for jobs at two other colleges at the same time. One was in South Carolina, one in New York, the other was Eckerd. I sent my applications off the same week.

In a week I got a call from South Carolina. The person said that they had received my application and would give me an answer in about two weeks. About that same time I got an email from the University in New York saying that they received my application and would reply in a couple weeks.

There was no word at all from Eckerd.
Two weeks later, I got a call from South Carolina informing me that they had decided to call someone else. I thanked them and said I fully understood. A couple days later I got a wonderful, personal, thoughtful letter from the New York University. It was so kind and affirming that, a couple years later, when I sold a piece of land, I gave 10% of the profit to that University.

Eckerd never said a word. I only found that I hadn?t been hired through an alumni letter. If I hadn?t been an alum I don?t think I would have been told anything.

Later my son, also an alum, applied for a job at Eckerd. When it seemed that he was in a position to do the school a favor, he was called in and nicely affirmed by the Academic Dean. When another person applied and was accepted to the job the Dean said ? absolutely nothing.

Overall my treatment, as an alum, was wholly bureaucratic and impersonal. My son?s treatment was insensitive to the point of cruelty. The education was adequate but the post-graduation treatment was a simple cost-benefit; ?what can you do for me??

Starting Job: Pastor Preparedness: B- Reputation: F