StudentsReview :: Eckerd College - Comments and Student Experiences

Rollins College -- Winter Park, FL
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Personally, I love attending Eckerd College but thisQuite BrightChemistry
Personally, I love attending Eckerd College but this campus has a very unique personality. Firstly, it's small and very intimate. With 1800 students, you cross paths with pretty much everyone. People here can be very interesting, and fun to be around. Most of us are super laid back and relatable in the sense that we are all college students living through life together. Everyone congregates to the same, select few places on campus for parties on the weekends, (mostly weekends, at least) so it gets repetitive but it is kept interesting with themes or special events. I have never felt unsafe on campus, and if you ever lock yourself out of your room or need something, campus safety is just a phone call away and will help you with whatever you may need.

I am a biochem major, and I love it. The labs are interesting (most of the time), the professors are friendly, and there are many resources to use for extra help if you need it. The marine science, science, and environmental majors are great majors from this college. With the amazing ecosystems that EC's campus is on and surrounded by, you really get some cool hands on experience in classes that are on those major tracks.

Unless you are a picky eater, the food is decent. The caf usually has a nice variety for all types of appetites. If you come to Eckerd, don't forget your long board. Even if you don't know how yet, you will. And it is the best way to get to where you are going on campus.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, University Resource Use: C+
I've wanted to write a comment about EckerdBrightEconomics
I've wanted to write a comment about Eckerd ever since I was a high school student considering attending Eckerd College, and reading the comments on this site (because a lot of them were bad). I just finished my third year at Eckerd, and I am an economics major with a minor in computer science, math, and Spanish.

Eckerd is not a college for everyone. Like many other small private liberal arts colleges, it has a unique personality and atmosphere. If you have always dreamed of being in a sorority or a frat, don't come here. If you need a school with division one sports and a lot of school spirit, don't come here. If you need to be in a large city, don't come here. I say this, because a lot of people who are unhappy at Eckerd came here with the wrong expectations.

That being said, ec has a lot of wonderful characteristics. Because it is small, you get to know your professors really well. You can get involved in research with professors simply by walking up to them and asking them about the research they are working on. You can get personalized recommendation letters and valuable advice on picking classes, getting internships, jobs, etc. There are a wide variety of extracurricular options through work study, clubs, and paid positions.

Most of the students that I have had the pleasure of getting to know are incredibly friendly, outgoing, fun, bright, unique, and compassionate. I've seen some reviews about ec on here where people call the students fake rich druggy hippies - I have no idea what that is about. Yeah sure some students do drugs, just like at any school, and some people have a lot of money, and some students don't wear shoes and walk around in beach wear - but why should that make them any less of a person?

The atmosphere at ec is very laid back, so if you're the type of person who needs a cut throat environment to get your work done, it's probably not the best school for you. A student at ec needs to be able to manage their time properly in order to do well in school. If you're unable to do that, don't blame the school, blame yourself (in response to people's negative comments).

For me, ec is the best of both worlds. I've had the privilege of learning from bright, passionate, creative, and friendly professors. I've met students from all around the USA and the world, who are some of the friendliest and most interesting people I've ever met. When I want to take a break from studying, I can chill in a hammock by the water, go to local beaches, explore downtown st. pete, chill with friends, etc.

All of my friends that have graduated from ec have either found a job in their field of study, are pursuing graduate school, or are exploring the world through travel or some other means. EC is an incredible school, but remember that if you are looking for something very specific out of your college experience and ec doesn't have it, probably don't come here. For some reason a lot of students choose to ignore that and end up unhappy and blame the school.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, University Resource Use: B
Excellent school with aQuite BrightOther
Excellent school with a lot of great professors and one on one guidance(if you seek it). The unbelievably beautiful setting and cool city/ beach can be distracting. I'm very happy I went to EC, I learned, had ALOT of fun, and will have amazing memories that will last a lifetime.
Preparedness: B Reputation: B+