StudentsReview :: The University of West Florida - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 21
Females 15
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.8
Research Quality B+ (7.8)
Research Availability A- (8.4)
Research Funding A- (8.6)
Graduate Politics A- (8.3)
Not Errand Runners A- (8.3)
Degree Completion A (9.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] A- (8.4)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.6)
Competitiveness A- (8.1)
Education Quality A- (8.2)
Faculty Accessibility A- (8.2)
Useful Research A- (8.6)
"Individual" treatment B+ (8.0)
Friendliness A- (8.4)
Safety A- (8.4)
Campus Beauty A (9.4)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.7)
University Spending A (8.9)
Extracurriculars B+ (7.7)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.6)
Surrounding City B (7.2)
Social Life/ Environment B (6.8)
Social Life/ EnvironmentB
Campus BeautyA
Avoid UWF at all costsFeb 04 2016Education
Avoid UWF at all costs. The quality of the graduate Ed.D. programs is lacking depth and vigor. Some courses are not taught when a student needs to graduate.The university is poorly organized, and unresponsive to student needs. The faculty largely is arrogant and very unfriendly. Students are seen as a revenue source. Parking is a constant issue - citations are handed out despite no clearly marked signage where to park. Graduate tuition ranks up there with higher tier state universities. However, little significant research occurs at UWf. There is little professional development for graduate students. There are some caring faculty and staff at UWF that are proactive. However, this is the exception, not the rule. Politics rule the day and faculty morale appears to suffer.Simply put, there is more bang for your buck elsewhere.
Be very careful when considering this school forDec 03 2014Computer Science
Be very careful when considering this school for a masters degree in software engineering. They advertise, and offer a program in SE, but do not necessarily offer the courses to support completion of the program. They tried to convince me to pursue a different degree option, rather than offer two electives to complete the SE masters. They have offered the courses in the past, intermittently and on no particular predictable schedule. Even after I requested the courses and sent several (unanswered) letters, and I am NOT the only person enrolled in this program, UWF just made excuses for not offering the courses, and had no idea when or if they would ever be offered. They hung me out to dry with an incomplete masters degree for lack of two electives. BEWARE!
I would stay clearJun 15 2014Unknown
I would stay clear of the graduate programs. I just heard a department chair granted his wife a masters degree after teaching ALL of her classes. How can that happen?
Jul 03 2011Business - Management and Administration
top of the line MBA program. Small classes, job placement, and much more.
I come from China to UWFJun 15 2010Public Health
I come from China to UWF. MPH is very good prgram here. Very high competition in America schools. I like UWF much more than China Universities. Must study very hard. American Professors high demands on accademics. UWF very high preparation in MHP field.
I am in myJan 20 2010Education
I am in my second year as an Ed.D student, and the program has been excellent thus far. UWF should strongly consider expanding it's graduate school to offer more Ph.D. programs.
Nov 12 2009Education
I am in my second year as an Ed.D. student, and thus far the Doctoral program has been fantastic.
I have had no support from professors inSep 25 2009Education
I have had no support from professors in earning my ED.D.; I consider myself a self-taught student. There is gender discrimination and discrimination toward non-military students.

Dr. Thompson, the relatively new stats professor offers help. The caveat...you have to go to Pensacola. So if you work and/or live where that is impossible, you are just out of luck there also.I can certainly not recommend UWF's doctoral programs to my colleagues and freinds. I am very upset with the whole process.

Research Topic(s): private
Of the now four colleges/universities I've been toApr 09 2009History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Of the now four colleges/universities I've been to this one was the best!!! The professors are caring, knowledgeable, and willing to go to bat for you when you need their help. The department's administrative goddess helped me to get a grant that I didn't know existed (I was an out of state student, new to the area). You get to work on meaningful projects.

A word of caution: This is not a department for people who don't want to work hard. They expect a lot out of you, but if you give it to them they will go to bat for you. My degree from here actually feels like it means something. I worked hard to get, but it paid off.Long and short of it is that if you want a department that challenges you, but cares deeply for your success - go here!!! You will not be disappointed!

Research Topic(s): Themes of Gender and Sacrifice in American World War I and World War I
Great graduate schoolMar 28 2009Communications
Great graduate school. It would be nice if UWF had more specialized libraries, but this is an excellent, small graduate school. It's much better than the huge degree mils like FSU and UF. If you want an intimate graduate experience, go to UWF. Oh, It's hard to get into UWF because small class sizes is their specialty.
Research Topic(s): Sex and Speach--The Public Discourse
The graduate program at UWF is the bestMar 05 2009English
The graduate program at UWF is the best as far as i'm concerned. I did my undergrad at UF, and that was a degree mil as far as i'm concerned. The small UWF community of highly accomplished accademics who actually care about your research makes this a perfect place to do graduate work. I suggest UWF over any large school, as at UWF the faculty actually care and are ready to work with you on your projects.
Research Topic(s): TBD
UWF is the best graduate university as farFeb 28 2009Archaeology
UWF is the best graduate university as far as I am concerned. I came here from Chicago, and at UWF, you can study what you want to study, with your professors serving as mentors. At larger universities, you do what you are told, not what you want to do. The small size of UWF makes it a great place for graduate study. I helped discover two shipwrecks while I was here, learned to dive, and learned to fly airplanes. UWF is much better than a large degree mill.
Research Topic(s): TBD
This is the best graduate research university inFeb 28 2009Physics
This is the best graduate research university in Florida. It's small size gives you the chance to actually work with professors on your research, instead of being out on your own. I am currentely working on my Ph.D. at MIT, and it's only thanks to my professor's connections that I was able to do that. UWF is an excellent school.
Research Topic(s): Quantum mechanical properties of the laser beam and their usefulness i
Feb 25 2009Nursing
There are five huge hospitals in Pensacola, so finding a job/internship is very easy.
Research Topic(s): The definition of practice of medicine in the psychiatric ward
UWF is a wonderfullFeb 24 2009Criminal
UWF is a wonderfull graduate university. Unlike the larger schools in this area, it is not conservate and promotes uniqe thoughts. Also, UWF has a private school type feal for a public school price. I have four M.S. degrees, and this is the best university that I have ever attended.
Research Topic(s): Sexual Dynamics of Gay Inmates and Straight Guards
The MBA from UWFFeb 22 2009Business - Management and Administration
The MBA from UWF is invaluable. I was able to get an internship with Chase in New York. Most professors in the business schools have great connections in the investment banking world. This university has a fantastic MBA program.
I hold two master'sFeb 22 2009Civil Engineering
I hold two master's degrees from other institutions in Florida, and UWF offers a private school type feel, which is perfect for research. I highly recomend this as a graduate univeristy; it is the best in Florida.
I can only speak to the psychology departmentAug 22 2008Psychology
I can only speak to the psychology department. My decision to attend UWF was the stupidest thing I have ever done. It was a big, expensive waste of time. Don't expect to be excited about your classes or form meaningful relationships with knowledgeable, productive and interesting professors. The few that know what they are doing and care are overshadowed by poor organization, confusing policies and a general malaise that hangs over faculty and students. Lest anyone think that I just have a case of sour grapes, think about this: In my year alone 6 students, who had excellent grades and a passion for psychology, completed everything but the thesis. There is little to no guidance and support for this process. Many just get disgusted and give up. The students are lost. All that money and time and no degree to show for it. Very sad. Go somewhere else.
I am a two-time masters student at UWF, which is an excelleOct 18 2003Education
I am a two-time masters student at UWF, which is an excellent university. However, they do require [many] articles and research papers for the degrees, so, if you do not like to work hard, do not attend this college.
The University of West Florida