StudentsReview :: Kettering University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute -- Troy, NY
Case Western Reserve University -- Cleveland, OH

Kettering University

First off, everyone thinks of this school asQuite BrightMechanical Engineering
First off, everyone thinks of this school as a big nerd school because it is basically a school filled with engineers. I thought that too before I got there. I am in B section, so it may be different in A section, but if you want to find a party, there is one. There are about 5 or 6 frats the throw parties every friday and saturday night (and you can always find some people at one of the houses to go out and party on weekday nights if thats what you want). So if you are doubting the school because there is just going to be a bunch of nerds, its not like that. Yes, there are nerds, but they tend to stay in the dorms and not leave. As for greek life. I just accepted a bid to one of the biggest houses on campus, and so far it seems like the brothers are so tight. I know alot of people who came up here and were completely anti-greek but were changed by the greek system at kettering. As for academics, the program is good. Just about noone studied before they came up here. If you play it right, you wont be studying every night, but you will have to study because the courses are challenging. As for the area...its flint. You cant expect too much but its not as bad as its cracked up to be. I havent heard of any car getting broken into in the past 10 weeks i have been there. As long as you dont wander into the wrong areas, you will be fine. Personally, i thought about going to University of Illinois for engineering, but its just not for me. One of their Chemistry Lectures has 400 people, at Kettering there are 60 tops. There are no girls at Kettering, i dont really think that is what you should be basing your decision off of (anyways, for all the big parties, we bring girls from UofM, MSU, CMU, and others). I wouldnt change the fact that i went to kettering. Its unlike any other college. Something you almost have to see and experience to understand.
1st Year Male -- Class 2007
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C-
The school has many positives.BrightMechanical Engineering
The school has many positives. The aformentioned coop program is the main draw to the school. Social atmosphere is not. While I have enjoyed my time there, this is not the typical college experince. Nearly 2/3 of the student body is involved in fraternities or sorrorities and greek life constitutes nearly all extracurricular activites. The intermural sports program is extensinve if not disorganized. Academically the school is very strong with exception of the vibrations/control systems department. This particular course area is an absolute joke. Those interested in being an automotive engineer should look no further. The city of Flint has been on the "10 worst cities in the US" for over a decade, that is all I will say about that. You make the most of any college experience and I have tried to enjoy mine. One area of dismay is rising cost of tuition. I believe it is now too high. If you wish to further your career at the expense of some culture, then Kettering is the place to go. If you wish to be more involved in campus life, or are a bleeding heart liberal, go to U of M.
4th Year Male -- Class 2003
Education Quality: A-, Surrounding City: F
Kettering University provided a challenging environment whicElectrical Engineering
Kettering University provided a challenging environment which I feel is necessary for growth. I was an electrical engineering student at Kettering and found the program hard enough to make you feel you've done something worthwhile when you get good grades. As far as I'm concerned theres not better way to go to school than with the co-op system. Rotating on 3 month intervals I was able to take a break from school and concentrate on understanding the workplace (and making excellent money). Immediately after school you have an entire network of friends spread across the country working industry or continuing education. Unfortunately the school is located in Flint, MI, which is simply put a depressed, industrialized area. I found quickly that despite the poor location it was the people that made Kettering a great experience. Now that I'm finished I have 2.5 years of experience in an large aerospace company and have seen many facets of engineering (quality, design, test, etc...). If you are into anything with wheels or tracks Kettering has automotive studies in the bag, and you certainly don't have to be an ME to participate, the formula electric verhicle team is there for the EE's. The school has a beautiful recreation center, and since the school is small the recreation center can feel like it's your own.

Academically kettering is "intense", by intense I mean you'll have 10 weeks to complete 20 credits of coursework (5 classes). Sometimes you'll get lucky and have 3 engineering labs to juggle on top of that. At the end the real treat comes when you have five finals over a period of 3 days, you do actually get used to it. When you term is over you can relax knowing you'll be working for the next 11 weeks and have the weekends study-free. As with most schools there are "weeder" courses such as physics and calculus, some have no problem, some learn to study, some leave.

One more problem, lack of female companionship opportunities, there aren't many too choose from. Kettering is better now than in the past for sure so things are looking up in this arena. And if your going to school in Flint and have a job in california then you'll either have to juggle two, take her with you, or forget it.

Kettering has a diverse fraternal set, there are laid back fraternities, agressive, and academically focused. Although I was not in a fraternity it didn't really seem to matter, I had just as many fraternity friends as I did non. I never felt I was the "North" and the fraternity people were the "South".

Personally I was very lucky to land a job at one of the best co-op's at the school, they paid for the apartment, telephone, etc... while at work. Not all co-op's have it this good, regardless the opportunity exists. Friends that I've met over the past five years work for Sun Microsystems, Rockwell (aerospace), Honeywell, GM, Ford, Chrysler, GE, NSA (National Security), FBI, CIA, UTC (Sikorsky, Otis, Hamilton Sundstrand, Pratt Whitney..), and Bose to name a few. So co-op's can be at big companys, they don't have to be, you could co-op at just about anywhere related to your field of study. I know an individual who works for a yacht builder on the east coast, weird stuff like that is possible. One warning, the school will "assist" you with finding a job, ultimately it took my energy to get a job.

So if you want some experience, challenging academics and money at the same time and are willing to work relatively hard (it's not that hard really, you just get used to it) Kettering is for you. I don't regret one minute of my time at Kettering.Peace out word to your mother.

Kettering University