StudentsReview :: Saint Louis University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Leo University -- Saint Leo, FL
Saint Thomas University -- Miami, FL

Saint Louis University

I came to this school stuck between twoNot so brightUndecided
I came to this school stuck between two choices- UCSD's Engineering Program and the Med Scholars program here. I can say that the campus is generally nicer than UCSD, but the surrounding areas aren't so nice. In general, I think the professors here are nicer than those at UCSD, and there are a lot of nice places on campus to study. I can't speak to social life, since I invoked some exceptions and got to live off campus as a freshman. However, the area surrounding SLU doesn't seem all that friendly; a Crime is reported by email every 10-12 days. That being said, if you're coming to Missouri from the West Coast, prepare to be surrounded in a sea of conservatism and horrible infrastructure planning. This probably won't be much of a problem for Freshmen living on campus, but commutes can be horrible experiences with traffic and horrible drivers. As for the teachers, they really do care for you... I registered late, so I was expecting to get the worst teachers of General Biology and Chemistry, but the teachers were great. I briefly considered living in dorms, but for the price and quality (and the fact that you can't live on campus for breaks) really killed the deal.

"Justice" is a huge buzzword on campus (which is kind of ironic if you know anything about the Jesuits) but don't expect to actually see any differences (from the west coast). Tuition is about 40K, but I got a 20K scholarship, which makes tuition the same price as UCSD's, and I can safely say the campus is maintained much better. If you're paying full price, don't come; you can get much better college options anywhere else. There are a lot of on-campus options including Panda, Chick-fil-a, Subway, and Panera (Called Saint Louis Bread Co.), but Panera seems to be the only "Healthy" option. There's also buffet-style meal halls, which aren't so bad during Lunch- but dinner tends to be leftovers of Lunch.

Coming from the either coasts, Life outside of the campus and stuyding is kind of boring. Living in the midwest can be gloriously quaint ("There are horses in the backyard!") but wears off quickly. There isn't a booming tech scene, and although Saint Louis is technically a "big city," you'll actually have to go to the city to see anything. There's also a place called "Forest park" which features a free zoo and science center. If you come from any other place in the midwest, however, I think you'll be fine. In conclusion, visit campus before you commit to this college. Your high-school counselors may have spoke about "Fit" before, and SLU can be either a great college, or annoyingly hypocritic and mind-numbingly boring. If you don't get money, don't come- you're better off transferring from a community college.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: C-
I was an international student at SLU.Quite BrightMechanical Engineering
I was an international student at SLU. Honestly was excited to go to SLU. According to the pamphlet it looked like a good university. It seemed like a great place to spend the next three years. However, after spending 1 year at the school I realized that if it weren't for the schools their I would never choose to go there. I would never pay to go there. The students are grossly mean and snobby. As an international student, I already had a challenge fitting in without the need to be picked on. Being there brought out the worst in me. I try to be a kind person but being there turned me into a complete a@$ hole. I remember counting the months until I graduated. I kinda hated every second if it. St. Louis is the worst city I've ever been to. (Very mean people). The quality of education was great but honestly my confidence was destroyed and my hope almost squelched. I can't believe I chose to of there. My advice is to consider other universities.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Friendliness: F
Most professors are very eager to help students,BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Most professors are very eager to help students, however some are just not equipped to teach or do not really seem to care.

Faculty and staff in certain departments seem to care more about money than whether or not students are actually being helped. Student concerns are looked over alot, even with the help of the Student Government Association.I would not suggest others to come to this school, especially if they are from a diverse background.

4th Year Female -- Class 2012