StudentsReview :: Rutgers University New Brunswick - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Princeton University -- Princeton, NJ

Rutgers was the worseQuite BrightPsychology
Rutgers was the worse 4 years of my life. Yes, the partying and social life is great, but neither the administration or faculty care about you. All you are here is a number and all they want from you is your money!
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Social Life: B, Individual Value: F
I went to Rutgers for two years beforeQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I went to Rutgers for two years before transferring out. I had a terrible experience with faculty, many of which were not all that concerned with individual students. I had a strong social life because I made it that way, it is easy to get lost in the school if you don't get involved in something. There is a large population with people who are very concerned with the social side and not with actually doing work. It is a fun school, but be warned that it is not necessarily great because all of your New Jersey friends will be there.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Social Life: B+, Innovation: F
I would describe what I did at RutgersQuite BrightOther
I would describe what I did at Rutgers as surviving far more so than learning. All around nasty attitudes and a depressing environment. I call Rutgers Mordor because there is a never fading aura of darkness and misery that surrounds the place. When I was commuting, I would leave my house on a beautiful sunny day, but as soon as I approached Rutgers it would turn cold, windy and dark with vultures circling in the sky.

This is a cliquy school where group thinking supersedes any kind of independence and individuality. It felt a lot like high school part 2. The student body consists mostly of white upper middle class brats with entitlement issues and substance abuse problems, who are hard to relate to unless you are also like this. Rutgers lets the brats do any illegal acts they want because you can?t call the real police over normally prosecutable issues such as assault, noise complaints, drugs, etc.

The administration must be told to blame students for their mistakes because there's no way they all consistently do the same thing. Their favorite way to collect money is ridiculous parking tickets, which can be around 100 Dollars. You?d think that considering New Brunswick has one of the highest crime rates in the country, they wouldn?t make students walk across campus in the middle of the night when coming home from late night study sessions. Logic would tell you to open the empty lots for students past a certain time, right? I am not exaggerating when I say that the Rutgers parking gestapo has put me in dangerous situations walking home at night with my heart racing because I was genuinely scared for my life.

I know I haven?t even gotten to the academics yet, and that?s because academics always feel like the least important thing at Rutgers. The professors give their lectures, assign tons of busy work that they expect you to put an unreasonable amount of effort into considering it's just going in the trash at the end of the semester and then leave the students to compete amongst themselves. No one seemed interested in whether important skills were actually being learned. As I mentioned earlier, what they really hate most of all is independence and unique thinking.The only good thing about Rutgers is saving money and not graduating with student loans. That was the reason why I came here, and the only positive thing about my experience here. Please do not come to Rutgers (Mordor) unless it's saving you money! I?ve seen too many nice people come here from outside areas and quickly develop depression. You have been warned. And it really doesn?t have to be this way. I?m at a school now that is entirely different.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
University Resource Use: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Rutgers University New Brunswick

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→