StudentsReview :: Rutgers University New Brunswick - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ
Princeton University -- Princeton, NJ

Rutgers University New Brunswick

Moved here from a private university that wasBrightEconomics
Moved here from a private university that was the complete opposite of this diverse student body. I loved it. People are much more open minded. You get to work with every type of personality and ethnic background, so I believe it prepares you better to work in the actual type of environments you'll encounter in the real world. Other colleges attract very like-minded people (for the most part), while Rutgers attracts EVERYONE. It's a microcosm of the world. There was plenty to do and excellent teachers if you pick the right classes. If you are looking at a major that is available in both SAS or SEBS I would recommend SEBS. The profs care a bit more since it is a smaller school and they are more likely to remember your face. I still had some huge classes, but those professors (non-science) were great and took time for office hours and extra study reviews so it wasn't alienating. Some of my friends in SAS had a terrible experience because they felt more like a number in the more intensive science classes, so I'd recommend coming in with those bio/chem/physics credits. Otherwise, if you haven't taken it before, expect a C hahaha. Expos, expect a B/C. I've never heard of anyone earning an A on their first try (I know kids who failed then received an A the next time around.) Rutgers is interesting; it can give you the small campus, suburban feel on Cook/Douglass or a more urban feel on the other campuses. I enjoyed living on College Ave, because it was easy to go to all the events and parties, but if you don't like it occasionally being noisy on weekends then maybe you should consider Livi/Busch... Cook/Douglass if you wanna feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. I've had some bad teachers and some good teachers... thankfully ratemyprofessors is pretty useful along with many student groups on facebook. Network is huge so there are many more opportunities on this career site versus my previous, yet higher ranked (but smaller) school. Oh,
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Individual Value: C
Where do I even start? Rutgers was aSuper BrilliantPsychology
Where do I even start? Rutgers was a terrible mistake on my part. A terrible experience. The reviews on here about the administration being unhelpful/a joke and the student body being a lot of wealthy kids who do nothing but get high/shitfaced from Thursday afternoon to Sunday are true to a T.

The only reason I came to this school was because A) I was desperate to get out of Florida, and B) They gave me money.

Let's start with academics: It's mostly hit or miss. If you're a student in the humanities, you'll be ridiculed and told by your professors to major in something else. English literature is treated like chemistry here: memorize facts and what your professor wants you to think the work is about, and you'll be fine. No room for creativity or thinking for yourself. The sciences departments are better and it's obvious the school pumps a lot more money into these. I actually quite enjoyed the physics courses I took. The school also expects you to take a lot of courses that you don't need that go beyond just GE courses. Expository writing is mandatory but it's a complete joke.

The campus is mostly butt-ugly and very confusing. There are five of them. College Avenue has somewhat nice buildings, but Livingston is like a state prison and Busch is huge with concrete block buildings from the 70s. The buses are usually packed, especially in the afternoons, and most times the bus drivers will just drive by a stop and leave you there.

I do have a story regarding something that happened to myself and about a dozen other students my second year. I lived on College Avenue and I had taken the bus to Busch for a class. The weather was getting bad (blizzard) and the buses stopped running without notifying anyone while I was in my class. I went to the student center and when trying to get information, I was told that emergency services would be picking up stranded students and taking them to their dorms on other campuses. I sat there with a handful of other students until after 9 PM, when the student center closed and guess what? We were throw out in the sub-zero, freezing ass dark and cold. Emergency services never came, and when myself and the other stranded students took it upon ourselves to call them, they told us that they had been informed that everyone had been picked up, and that no, they wouldn't be coming to get us. The only way we got back to College Avenue was because one of the students I was with ran out into the street and stopped a passing maintenance van, who after a lot of convincing, agreed to take us back to our dorms. It was a legitimately dangerous situation. We could have died.

New Brunswick itself is a dangerous town. There was actually a stabbing that occurred right across the street from my dorm on College Avenue. There are a lot of homeless people and gangs that hang out right off campus.

Staff is very unhelpful. If you need a class and it's closed, too bad for you. Getting an SPN is like pulling teeth. Advising is crap. They are very rude and will talk over you if you have a question. It seems like they want you to get out of their office as soon as possible, even though it's their JOB to advise you.

About 99% of the student body consists of drunk children. There are no engaging discussions in class despite some professors' efforts to facilitate them. No one is interested in talking about anything other than how wasted they got the night before, or how wasted they're going to get the next weekend.

The only redeeming qualities about this place are:

A) It's very diverse. You'll meet a lot of different people - Jews, Muslims, gays, Asians, etc.
B) It's quite liberal.
C) There's a train station within walking distance of campus where you can catch a train that will take you to Penn Station in under an hour.I've long since transferred out of this place (attended from fall 2009 - spring 2011). Don't go here, unless you just want to party away 4 (or more) years of your life.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: B-, Innovation: F
I remember checking out this site back whenBrightSchool of Information
I remember checking out this site back when I was a junior/senior in highschool and how much influence they had in my decision. I believe I owe it to this site and future others who are thinking about going to rutgers by writing this review.

I loved every minute,every second of my time here at Rutgers University. It was honestly the best fours years of my life and I have made plenty of great friends and met a ton of people. It is what you make of it. It's in your power to make your experience the best it can possibly be and the only way to do that is to get involved. I joined a Fraternity and was the best decision I have made in college. You don't need to join Greek Life here at Rutgers though because there are a ton of organizations you can be part of. Though I highly recommend it because truthfully, they are having the most fun. Come here, be active, and live it up. College Life is short, and Rutgers is a great place to spend it.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014