StudentsReview :: New York University - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University

Terrible school

Oct 27 2012English
Terrible school. If you're a lazy slacker who comes from wealth, this school is for you. If you're someone with any semblance of ambition or passion for learning, and somehow had to settle for NYU or were convinced to choose NYU over better schools (via awards or aid packages), THINK AGAIN. Shell out the extra cash to attend a proper university. My understanding is that NYU has great grad programmes. But my undergrad experience has been disappointing to such an absurd degree, I become angry just at the mere mention of NYU in conversation.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F

I can't speak for the University in it's

Jun 24 2012Nursing
I can't speak for the University in it's entirety but as far as the accelerated nursing program at NYU--it's absolutely horrendous. Disgustingly corporate and shamelessly money driven. I've gone to several private universities and never felt so disregarded and disposable. NYU does NOT care about you. They will tell you how wonderful they are (and you for being selected) and they'll kiss your ass until they get your check. Then they will "forget" to return calls/emails, they will transfer you a million times but what they won't do is help you. I wish someone would have told me they are not an institution that cares about it's students or academic integrity but just another corporation. My advise is to stay away from NYU college of nursing, stay far, far away.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F

If I had to rate this school based

Jul 17 2012Communications
If I had to rate this school based on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 6. There are many reasons as to why this is, but let me start off by saying that your quality of education at NYU is pretty spectacular. Professors here know their material, and are regarded highly in their respective fields. They know exactly what they are talking about. Of course (as with any other university, or school for that matter), just because you know the material DOES NOT necessarily mean that one can teach and instruct to students. You will get phenomenal teachers, and then you will get teachers who try hard but can't seem to break through to students. BUT there is definitely not a professor who does not know what they are teaching.

What are some negative things about NYU? It is one HUGE school. You do not have a campus, and therefore, lack of community. Students don't get together too often to know other people from different schools - most kids here are rich trust fund babies, and don't be surprised that they are less than friendly and sometimes even snooty. A good way to characterize this school are what I like to call "wannabe hipsters." I remember my first time at NYU, and thought it was such a cool school, I'm on top of the world, and I want to be sophisticated and pretty and skinny like the rest of em. You will surely find out that a couple of months, maybe a year into the school that you are even tired of all of this fake and phony-ness that surrounds the school. EVERYONE of these Tisch kids want to be hip and god knows what else. You get over it. There's nothing special. Having graduated, and walking through the campus occasionally, I smile to myself when I see all these young students "ready to live the NY life." Once again there's nothing special.

One thing you have to do, is SEEK out your friends. Friends don't come to you here - you have to work hard to get to know individuals. We don't have school pride and lack of a campus plays a big role in diminishing that sense of community that you would probably get, coming from a small college located in the suburbs.

There are many students who absolutely hate the school. The school will financially eat you alive, dig out your pockets until they're empty. The education is great, but not worth 25K per semester (with barely any financial aid bestowed to low-income students). It's just not worth it. The facilities like the gym, buildings -- ehhh I CAN LIVE WITHOUT!

New york city, in general is one lonely city. People are always working, running with their heads down to get home, barely creating relationships with one another and enjoying life. NYC is littered with people who have money, who don't give a damn about meaningful relationships. It is a cutthroat city. And, you have to be able to handle it. I know many students who have left the school claiming that they have a hard time making friends. On top of that, you have this big, huge city in front of you -- filled with bustling cars and hoards of people...but can feel oh so empty at the same time.

I'd like to call NYU a double edged sword. Positive aspects: quality of education/academics. Negatives: ridiculous amount that school costs, big huge city does not foster relationships; rather, making people you know impersonal. Since it is an expensive school, you will meet many students who come from money and spend a ton on drugs, partake in drunk-fueled sex everyday.

However, for me - I made some greatwonderfulspectacular friends. And, they are friends for life. They are people who are grounded and are wildly different in their own ways. I don't want to hate on the ENTIRE population at NYU; just saying that majority are what I described above. Like I said - YOU have to be active and seek/make meaningful friendships, create fond memories. They don't just come to you.So...you ask me now (having graduated this past May) was it worth it? No. I'd say take your large amounts of cash and run with it to somewhere else.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012