StudentsReview ™ :: New York University - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University

I applied to the Liberal Studies Core program

Apr 09 2014Communications
I applied to the Liberal Studies Core program (and went to London my freshman year) and am now majoring in Media, Culture and Communications and minoring in Producing. I really love going here and haven't had any big problems overall. The biggest drawback is obviously the amount of money it costs to go here, but if that's feasible for you, it's definitely a great school.
Surrounding City: A+, Campus Maintenance: C

transferring to NYU is the best decision I've

Jan 18 2014Political Science
transferring to NYU is the best decision I've ever made, here is my take on the good and the bad of NYU.

GOOD: The professors are all brilliant and most of them are very friendly, the wassmerman center is a great place to find awesome internships in NYC (I've already had two really great ones), other students are friendly if you put yourself out there and make friends, NYC!!!!, so many clubs, good food, awesome study abroad opportunities

BAD: Financial aid can be horrible, most of the kids come from fairly wealthy families so coming in as someone with 100% financial need was difficult because I felt a little alienated, solving issues normally involved many telephone transfers to offices that cant help you, its easy to feel isolated so you have to make it known that you are looking for friends. I always say hi to people I see in the hallways of my building and make and effort to take to them and I am doing fine. On the other hand I know some other students that get upset because they feel like they don't have any friends. You really can't depend on other people, you gotta take care of yourself.

My advice would be, be yourself and meet all of the beautiful interesting people around you.
Get a job! nyc can eat your money very quicklyget an internship if you can

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D+

First off, before I get into any negativity,

Oct 06 2013Psychology
First off, before I get into any negativity, I love NYU. I really do. I moved here from California knowing no one - so had I decided to sulk in my homesickness, this school would have been very lonely, indeed. We're all big kids now, no one is going to hold your hand and make sure that you're doing okay. YOU have to make effort. It is a bit of a downside and you will feel lost at first, but it's nothing that a little socializing can't fix. Secondly, I like to party and have fun on the weekends. So does just about everyone else here, the only problem is that parties in New York City are not the same as parties in a college town. They cost money and it all adds up quickly, unfortunately. Many nights I would get dressed up, ready to go to fun rooftop parties only to find they were a bust. Also, if you have your heart set on a campus with tons of school spirit and big sports and a nice traditional campus... this school may not be for you. There is no school spirit and there is no traditional campus BUT NYU still kicks ass. My biggest piece of advice is to get ready for serious competition. Remember how in high school there were those kids who weren't the brightest? Yeah, at NYU those kids don't exist. Everyone is talented and everyone is smart and if you're competitive academically, it can be SO intimidating. I've spent so much time doubting my intelligence and my ability to match up to the kids here...don't do that. If you get in, there's a reason. You can do it and you're just as good as anyone else.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B