StudentsReview :: Wittenberg University - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio Wesleyan University -- Delaware, OH
College of Wooster, The -- Wooster, OH

Wittenberg University

After reading comments about the brutal social exclusiveness

Oct 03 2014Political Science
After reading comments about the brutal social exclusiveness at Wittenberg, I'm so disappointed that the culture has not improved since I graduated. When I was a student, the fraternities and sororities dominated every part of campus life and it sounds like nothing has changed. If you weren't Greek, you had no life. As a freshman I was very naive about the politics of rush. The fraternity that rejected me, as I learned later, had 2 requirements to be accepted: you had to bring high-quality drugs into their house and you had to play lacrosse. I didn't bring either of those to the table. I pledged another fraternity just to have people to hang out with and friendly parties to go to. It was a mistake, but to live in the dorms as an upperclassman would have labeled me as a major loser for 4 years.

I wish I had gone to a large university where I could have found niches full of people like me.

4th Year Male -- Class 2000
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
Jul 08 2014Music Education

I would not trade it for the world, or to be debt free! It is worth every penny!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, University Resource Use: B-

My experience at Wittenberg is sort of a

Oct 19 2014Political Science
My experience at Wittenberg is sort of a neutral one. I came in very apprehensive and nervous about attending Witt, but I ended up enjoying it. The campus is beautiful, with the exception of building or two. Its very walkable and safe, even during some of the evening hours. Springfield however is a different story. The north end of Springfield has a variety of stores and restaurants. Downtown and the south side are rough places, which students don't have much business in. Having a car is advisable at Wittenberg, as you will need to run of campus to get supplies for your room, off campus food, etc. The Political Science department is excellent and doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Faculty as a whole are easy to meet with, I've never had an issue seeing my advisor or any of my professors. Additionally, I've never had a TA teach a class. Like any University, you'll find professors who aren't personable, but you'd find that anywhere. The students as a whole are friendly and polite, but you will have to put yourself out there to make friends. Joining clubs and going Greek in the spring made my adjustment process easier. Plenty of people I knew stayed in their dorms during new student days and had trouble making friends. The nightlife and bar scene at Wittenberg is fun, but not overbearing. The dorms are generally nice and clean, with the exception of Firestine. Don't expect the dorms to be as cushy as your home, but they are generally good enough to live in. After your first two years you can live off campus in; apartments, greek houses (the few that still exist) and rental houses. The food is average at best, but is getting better slowly. Greek life takes up 40% of the student body, but holds a lot of influence. Many student government officers are greek as well. My only complaints about Wittenberg are the location and the size. Coming from a major metropolitan area, Springfield was a shock for me. Without a car I felt isolated and had trouble getting off campus. During the first few weeks plenty of students go home, but as the workload increases people stay on campus. I find the size too to be way too small. Wittenberg isn't cliquey, but at times the campus feels overbearing. I enjoy Wittenberg, but somedays I wish I went to Ohio State, Indiana or Michigan instead, just for the size.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017