StudentsReview :: Johnson & Wales University - Providence - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Johnson & Wales University - Providence

Total Grad Surveys 5
Females 2
Males 3
Avg years at University 1.2
Research Quality B- (5.8)
Research Availability B- (6.3)
Research Funding B- (6.2)
Graduate Politics B- (5.8)
Not Errand Runners B- (5.8)
Degree Completion
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (6.8)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.0)
Competitiveness B- (6.2)
Education Quality B- (5.8)
Faculty Accessibility B- (5.9)
Useful Research B- (5.8)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.4)
Friendliness B- (6.2)
Safety B (7.2)
Campus Beauty B (6.9)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.9)
University Spending B (7.3)
Extracurriculars B+ (7.8)
Scholastic Success B- (6.4)
Surrounding City B- (6.3)
Social Life/ Environment B- (6.5)
Research QualityB-
Campus MaintenanceB+
JWU sucked all my life-force and money outNov 10 2013Unknown
JWU sucked all my life-force and money out of me. The students are rude and believe they are better than even the most successful chefs while the staff will not help you unless it benefits them. There are some great instructors and chefs at this school but over all a negative experience. Culinary school is an outdated form of education and if you go people think you are a joke in the industry. Im gay.
I feel as though JWU was a wasteDec 07 2011Business - Management and Administration
I feel as though JWU was a waste of my time and money. I spent A LOT on each class, but learned very little. When it came time to registering for classes, I had to ALWAYS email my advisor, which was a nuisance on my part. The homework and classwork always felt like busy-work, & I felt like some of my professors had no clue what they were teaching. One of my classmates was told one thing, but I asked the exact same question and was told the complete opposite. I wish I had known all of this BEFORE I spent about $25,000 on "graduate school." WASTE. OF. EVERYTHING.
One thing Johnson and Wales does effectively isDec 06 2005Business - Management and Administration
One thing Johnson and Wales does effectively is sell itself like a product. The professors for the most part are competent & willing to be there to assit you. The campus itself is spread over the city of Providence. The university's reputation in the culinary and hospitality field hold thourghout my year of the MBA program. Most of the guest speakers and employers that come to our school are form different industries. Most of the classes are night class and the secuirty in Providence is acceptable for walking at night. Okay you have homeless people hanging around but seriously show me one town in the world where you don't have them.
Johnson and Wales has a great reputation inSep 18 2005Business - Management and Administration
Johnson and Wales has a great reputation in business and the hospitality field. In order to be successful it is advisable to be proactive about everything the campus has to offer. Graduate assistantships, internships, and special interest clubs. In addition, socializing with the very diverse student body is to your advantage for networking.

Try to register and enroll for classes as early as possible the long lines at registration can be annoying. Residence life are useful for off campus apartment hunting. The staff is generally helpful in advising on where to search if you are not familiar with the area.The MBA classes at JWU are as practical and real life as any MBA class can get. They prepare you to be competitive and effective whether you are climbing the corporate ladder or seeking a career change.

This university prides itself as being hospitality orientedSep 15 2005Business - Management and Administration
This university prides itself as being hospitality oriented...but from an upfront and indepth view it is lacking sorely in the area of customer service in many support service departments that the university depend on to be successful financially.Many of its support staff behave as if they are not being paid to do their jobs....ultimately whatever broken spirit or low morale they have they rub it back to the student who is the customer...this type of behavior lends to a broken spirit from the perspective of the student and where possible if the student gets the alternative to take their business elsewhere they do....no one wants to pay mega bucks for an education only in turn to get inferior treatment.
I was pleasantly surprised at the seriousness andMar 27 2005Business - Management and Administration
I was pleasantly surprised at the seriousness and courteousness of all the students; regarding the graduate students, most seem to be foreign, which is interesting. Being a white male, I found it even more enlightening to find very articulate people of other backgrounds; overall, I am impressed with the resolve of the students I have met, even if I will not being moving to Nepal soon to take advantage of my diverse contacts!
Johnson & Wales University - Providence