StudentsReview :: Carson Newman University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carson Newman University

Be very careful before attending Carson-Newman.Quite BrightNursing
Be very careful before attending Carson-Newman. I attended CNU for 2 1/2 years before transferring. There is no draw from this university. It is in the middle of nowhere, the campus is dead on the weekends because everybody goes home, and the special "small school professor to student relationship" is noexistent. There is a huge emphasis on MULTIPLE standardized tests (ATI's) in the nursing department. If you dont pass an ATI you get an F on your transcript and have to redo the course even if you pass all of the course material. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the truth. They dont tell you that until you get to junior year. Before attending, I was aware of the ATI's, but i was assured my the nursing faculty that they would prepare me and be available whenever in needed clarification. When I got into my nursing courses, I realized that I had been lied to. The faculty did not prepare me for the ATI and when I asked for help understanding a few concepts in the ATI study guide they blew me off. Carson-Newman is really good at putting on a fake front. Before coming to CNU, I wondered why CNU had such a high transfer rate... Now I know. I will never regret transfering. My only regret is that I didn't transfer sooner.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F
I am currently a sophomore transfer here atQuite BrightReligion/Religious
I am currently a sophomore transfer here at Carson-Newman. I transferred here this year from a school in West Virginia and let me tell you, this school is just amazing! I'm from the north where almost everyone cares about their own thing and puts others second. When I first came down here, I couldn't believe how friendly and approachable everyone was! I'm even really good friends with my tour guide from last year. The students are laid back and approachable, they're all sensative to the needs of others and are willing to help a fellow student regardless of the situation they're in. The professors here are awesome! Their willingnesss to help students with whatever they need help with makes life that much better. I've even had quite a few pray with the class during the first couple of weeks. Almost every staff member here on campus treats each student like their part of their immediate family. Words can't describe how blessed I am to be here. I LOVE CARSON NEWMAN! The only downside to Carson-newman is the student life on the weekends. It can get kind of borning but SGA is working on getting more activities together for students to participate in on the weekends. Also, some of the dorms are getting a little old, but maintenence does their best to fix whatever problem may arise to the best of their ability. If you are looking for a university where you want to get a great education, make life long friends and develop your relationship even more with Jesus Christ then this is the place to be!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C+
When I arrived at Carson-Newman, my declared major,FilmQuite BrightCommunications
When I arrived at Carson-Newman, my declared major,Film had only been established for a year and is still trying to find its place in the college. This was used to the students' advantage because we had some level of say on the focus of various classes. I feel my degree was very well rounded, both in my major and only subjects. While I was disappointed that my honors and upper level classes in high school were not needed for my major, I took the opportunity to get more involved in campus life. The problem has been that the campus focusses too much on freshman as opposed to the student body as a whole. I lived on campus all 4.5 years and found that after my first yea, there was nothing to do. The faculty are amazing-I have some of them as friends on Facebook and they even approached me about writing letters for grad school. Since it is a Baptist college, a lot of focus is on the church groups, so look for ithr things if you're not into that or you will have nothing to do. I joined a community service sorority and also worked with many of their theatre productions-I highly recommend them. While the city is small and everything you want to do is a long drive away, the people there are what matter, especially the faculty.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012