StudentsReview :: Western Governors University - Comments and Student Experiences

Western Governors University

Apr 05 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The financial aid department is not helpful and hard to reach. In their collection emails they don't even give you a phone number to contact them, just an email address to write to and then don't respond with it. What a grand waste of 3 years of college.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: B, Scholastic Success: F
Apr 01 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I have now been at the University for 2 years. Last term I had decided to transfer. I felt like I was going no where fast here. Taskstream is a joke. It is hit or miss. I have turned in Havard quality assignments and had them rejected. Then I have turned in assignments I took an hour to write and they passed Taskstream. Sometimes I have even turned in an assignment previously rejected and then it passed without me altering it. Something is fishy with this system. I have finally started my transfer process. I just found out none of my program credit transferred to my new college. I was disappointed. Due to them combining courses it was impossible for the other college to judge. The new university has great accreditation. Interaction with professors were little to no interaction. My mentor was always there but I felt as though it was more like having a babysitter. I would suggest a different environment. The work is easy but not fulfilling. If you can work the system you can pass.
Mar 13 2014Nursing
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I needed to complete a BSN. I had earned a bachelors in another country, but being unable to transfer credits, needed to complete the BSN from scratch. WGU is based on a competency model. If you can complete the assigned tasks or pass the exam you are welcome to go ahead and do that and then take the next course. It really worked for me. I was able to test out of many of my courses and am on target to graduate with a BSN in about 9 months.

WGU assigns each student a mentor. I didn't think this would really be a useful part of my time here, but my mentor is an experienced masters prepared nurse and has been so helpful in navigating WGU courses and considering options for my career post BSN. the mentor phone calls have become one of the best features of the program for me. The course work has largely been relevant and useful. I have been able to use much of it in my nursing already. If you are looking for an online option, I recommend considering WGU.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014