StudentsReview :: Evergreen State College - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
Hampshire College -- Amherst, MA
Western Washington University -- Bellingham, WA

Evergreen State College

Wow so many greeners reviewing our school recently.Quite Bright
Wow so many greeners reviewing our school recently. If anyone is reading this and your contemplating on applying I say do it. I would recommend reading up on how this school is ran. A lot of people end up coming here without actually knowing anything about the dynamic of TESC. You really need to read up on how things run before you come here. They really want this place to be a safe place for everyone regardless of gender, grades, race, socioeconomic class, sexuality.. and the list goes on. It does have bumps in the road but what sets TESC from other universities is that the students are actively trying to make it fair. Everyone here has an activist dynamic even if it's the tiniest part of them. They want you to be comfortable in your own skin at a school that you're paying thousands to go to.

The issue that most people have about Evergreen is that they think it's like any other university. Evergreen is very different from any other school and I can't stress enough that you do your research. You can get into Evergreen but this isn't the type of school that you can enter blindly without doing research. I feel like a lot of the negative comments are based on not 100% knowing what your getting yourself into. I often hear people complaining about how hard transferring out is but this school is sort of the situation where you need to be 100%. You have to really be all in to get the best from your time here at Evergreen. It has to line up with your own personal beliefs because....Oh boy, people get extremely mad and rant-y about how things work at Evergreen. If this is your type of scene, you'll graduate and be successful and if this is something you want to "try out" I'd recommend going somewhere else. Either way this school is a great place and a lot of great things come out of this school. You'll learn things that you otherwise wouldn't at any other public school and you'll do it at public university rates ($) This school values critical thinking and creativity.

3rd Year Male -- Class 1920
Scholastic Success: A+, Education Quality: F
First, I have to say, it's curious takingBrightOther
First, I have to say, it's curious taking this survey (in general) but especially after Evergreen, where grades and this type of measurement of things becomes distant and is quickly forgotten! Which isn't the worst way to pass into my advice for those considering this college! Evergreen will (exhaustively) advertise itself as a different place to learn, etc. And they're right! But not in every way - for example, I think the student body is actually like a lot of other colleges, except for maybe a higher concentration of NERDS, farmies, and the moody and broody hipster - it's strange to categorize people like this but to offer you a surface taste (also, if you're a nerd, you should prob just come here). The educational model is indeed different than most colleges - not unlike a liberal arts college, just more obliquely enough that it can say it's unlike any other. My true warning is this: Evergreen works for the self-motivated student; programs are designed to offer you a huge buffet of shit and it's UP TO YOU to take what you want and do your work. In this way, I don't think Evergreen is easy, although it technically is. You can do jack shit here and will rarely be reprimanded. This is definitely a challenge to know that you and others are giving over your life for a project while others smoke hella weed and do shrooms in the forrest (which you should also). HOWEVER if you come here with a specific goal or set of goals - this place will basically let you do that. PROFS DONT EXPECT ANYTHING OF YOU - THEY LET YOU PROVE YOURSELF AND THEY WILL AID YOU TO WHATEVER DEGREE. I started at a well-regarded university out east, came to Evergreen to do my own thing and it worked because I had so much support and I was allowed to do what I wanted. I will admit, this is probably a rarer desire of a 19 year old. Evergreen is not for everyone (not by any means) and yet anyone can get into it (a philosophy I admire in many ways), so this is a challenging aspect. I would say the ideal student is a returning student, has more life experience and knows what they want. Ironically, given that it is a liberal arts school dedicated to explorative studies, I think wandering at TESC often leads to floundering, or at least anxiety. Come in with goals and you will make the good things. Overall, this school challenged me and expanded me, or rather, it allowed me to challenge and expand myself. Sort of wish I could go here forever ~
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Innovation: A+, Social Life: C
The school is really petty and its oftenNot so bright
The school is really petty and its often overlooked. It is located in Olympia WA, which is about 1-2 hours away from Seattle. It is really eco friendly and peaceful because it's on a few thousand acres of forest. The school has tons of trails and has its own beach. I was unsure about my decision but I toured it and the campus feel is pretty free and peaceful.

There's tons posters about their art scene which is really cool. The buildings are the perfect example of modern meeting rainforest.

You only earn a Bachelor's of Arts or Bachelor's of science degree here. They don't have majors. You pick one program and it's normally something your interested in that falls under the same category as something you want to do career wise. So many programs and their all really interesting which was hard because I wanted to take them all.

My advice is to really read up on Evergreen beyond a review site and see if your belief fall under the same category as Evergreens. Tour the campus. Talk to an adviser to fully understand what the academic life is like here, then make your final decision. Most of the people have a certain stereotype about Evergreen which sadly results to the school not getting the credit it deserves.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920