StudentsReview :: The Evergreen State College - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
Hampshire College -- Amherst, MA
Western Washington University -- Bellingham, WA

The Evergreen State College

I really love Evergreen and I would totally

Jul 18 2014Undecided
I really love Evergreen and I would totally recommend it to people, but there are a lot of problems with the students, faculty, and administration. The student body isn't quite as diverse as the school website would have you believe. There is a pretty small percentage of people of color and there are ignorant cis-het white boys aplenty (there is nothing wrong with being any of those things, but most of the ones on campus seem to think they know everything there is to know about racism/sexism/heterosexism/cissexism/ablism, etc., which they clearly don't. The administration only cares about itself and is standing by doing nothing as the woman who runs/helped create the Assistive Technology Lab (which was created to help students with disabilities) is being forced to resign because they aren't paying her enough to live on. And there are several faculty members who are either completely aloof or downright mean to students they disagree with. That being said, the courses are still really fantastic and interesting, and most of the faculty I have been involved with are incredibly kind and helpful.
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: C-

Evergreen has a very intense biochemistry curriculum that

Sep 04 2013Chemistry
Evergreen has a very intense biochemistry curriculum that WILL get you into a grad school of your choice, provided that you put in the effort and time that it takes to get there. Evergreen has a large endowment from the National Science Foundation that can attest to this fact. The amount of time that you have to spend studying and self-teaching at Evergreen is high compared to other colleges, especially when your faculty expect you to do independent projects or learn instruments.

The student body at Evergreen is "politically correct" to the point that it can be patronizing and alienating, almost like how a mother would explain to their child that their "weird cousin" is visiting. I think that people should be nice to each other and skip the FYI's about cultural appropriation, but that's just my opinion.

Also, some other academic pathways are significantly easier than others, which creates the illusion that you can come to Evergreen and smoke pot all day. Let's just say you CAN do that, but I don't advise it. If you think of yourself as a "C" student and you don't care, Evergreen is not the school for you. This system sets you up so that your choices have consequences, and you can choose for them to be good or bad. Which I think is why so many greeners are successful after graduating.

One final thing is that at Evergreen, faculty expect you to communicate very crisply and keenly. You can expect to have the best paper you've ever written covered in red ink or the best presentation you've ever given to be shot down. This is just because faculty want to teach you to exude professionalism, which I hope will make me stand out in interviews and/or cover letters.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Innovation: A+, Friendliness: F

Studying at Evergreen was one of the defining

Jun 24 2014Philosophy
Studying at Evergreen was one of the defining periods of my life. I came to the college from the University of Washington, burnt out on the competitive, grade-focused attitude toward education. Evergreen's focus on learning for learning's sake was refreshing. I did find, in my first year, an extremely relaxed academic environment that I took advantage of. I wasn't particularly interested in anything I had been studying and so I did little work or bent the deadlines. My next year, however, I entered the philosophy program and found myself studying with more passion than I had ever experienced. Evergreen's pedagogy is best employed in philosophy courses. We spent weeks closely reading primary texts, meeting to discuss them daily, wrote several 10-15 page papers and critiqued the work of our colleagues. The pressure to contribute to the group, to come to class prepared to discuss the ideas and to offer some reflection or original thoughts in writing was sufficient to inspire me to reestablish a concern for studying and a concern for doing well. My classmates were super intelligent, my professor was super intelligent, and so I had to be too.

The material and the other students I spent that year with were a sharp spur.
I knew many students who were doing incredible things with their Evergreen experience as well: studying science, studying math, writing plays, making music, studying economics, studying art. At Evergreen, you will encounter some of the brightest people of your generation. They are all there, like you, seeking thought without boundaries and without conformation. It was unquestionably the most intellectually, artistically invigorating environment I have ever been in.

There are the other folks there as well: the stoners, lazy asses, etc.. And they will be in your classes, and you will feel disgusted that they earn the same degree as you,but you don't have to hang out with those people (move off campus as soon as you can) and you can still get a tremendous intellectual experience despite those voices in your class.

Because Evergreen offers such an open academic experience, try other classes. If you don't like your program, take another one. If you've been drawn to Evergreen, it's very likely there are some people like you within the campus body. You may have to look a bit to find them.

I have encountered Evergreen grads all around the world and I always feel a kinship with them. There is something special about this school and, if you feel right there, your experience and the friends you make will continue to define your world vision and your heart.I suggest checking out the campus and seeing how you feel. There is very much a sense of place there.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2007