StudentsReview :: Evergreen State College - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
Hampshire College -- Amherst, MA
Western Washington University -- Bellingham, WA

Evergreen State College

The school is really petty and its oftenNot so bright
The school is really petty and its often overlooked. It is located in Olympia WA, which is about 1-2 hours away from Seattle. It is really eco friendly and peaceful because it's on a few thousand acres of forest. The school has tons of trails and has its own beach. I was unsure about my decision but I toured it and the campus feel is pretty free and peaceful.

There's tons posters about their art scene which is really cool. The buildings are the perfect example of modern meeting rainforest.

You only earn a Bachelor's of Arts or Bachelor's of science degree here. They don't have majors. You pick one program and it's normally something your interested in that falls under the same category as something you want to do career wise. So many programs and their all really interesting which was hard because I wanted to take them all.

My advice is to really read up on Evergreen beyond a review site and see if your belief fall under the same category as Evergreens. Tour the campus. Talk to an adviser to fully understand what the academic life is like here, then make your final decision. Most of the people have a certain stereotype about Evergreen which sadly results to the school not getting the credit it deserves.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D+
This School hates trans people and people of color
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
I grew up in the Olympia area andSuper BrilliantHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I grew up in the Olympia area and my mother actually went to this school in the 1970's,but, that being said...run. Far,far away from this place as it sucks badly. The campus,being small, like others have said means that you are going to run into people that you know from other classes,but,that does mean you are going to friends either. As someone that is her mid-40's the idealism of this school and its rather stupid politically correct way of seeing things is not how the world really works. Nor does it prepare you properly for the workforce unless you happen to be doing things related to ecology,politics or something similar. For myself, as a history major, unless you pick your classes wisely you are well and truly screwed since there is not much on offer for history. Nothing for World War II,which is what I study.

Unless, you do a self study which has to be approved both the Dean of Students AND a sponsoring professor. For me, that was the only way to get anything out of this crazy school as I NEED to have a certain amount upper division history credits for grad school.

The evaluations are another thing that I find to be annoying as I loathe writing about something that should be plain as day as to what I have learned on a transcript. Further, the grad schools I have applied to,you need a decoder ring in the form of someone in admissions to translate it for you. That person will become your new best friend for your applications. Most grad schools do not,that I have applied to, do not even read all this busy work that is evals.

I came here because it was cheap and I was expecting something different. However, I should have listened to what we locals have known for decades...if you want a real education,go somewhere else. If you want to sit on your duff and talk all day then this place is for you.

Pros:
Self study. If need to do credits for post-grad work unrelated to what is on offer then this is the way to do it.

Professors. They do make themselves available.
Small campus and classes. Nice if you are wanting to get away from a big campus,big classes with more personalized attention.

Cons:
Activities. There are none of the traditional ones as this school believes in the everyone must be included idea. If you like to sing,which I do, stick with a band or church as the choir sucks.

Locations:
It's 60 miles to Seattle if you want to see something besides the Art Walk twice a year. Olympia is boring as hell. I know,I was raised there.

Lack of proper classes. I say this because most of these classes will NOT help you if you have a specialized major in particular,history. Seems they have an allergic reaction to history.

Library. It sucks as well. Use the inter-library loan resources if you want or need something as lot of the books are severely out of date to say nothing of the computers.

I will heartily glad when I am out of here in a year and in grad school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015