StudentsReview :: North Dakota State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC

SafetyB
Closeminded

Friendly

ACT:28
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #977500; line-height:80px';float:left;
SAT1270
D
Excess Competition
She cares more about Campus Maintenance than the average student.
Date: Dec 12 2009
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
I thought the small town feel of North Dakata would be more welcoming.I didn't know that small town meant small minded. Im only from Minneapolis but most people here have never been to an inner city. So class discussions about poorly funded education, violence or even drugs are impossible. Its hard to make friends as a minority because you're largely ignored. Though there are so many orgs on campus, I feel so out of place. I get constant questions about my hair, people ask me to go tanning(my skin is brown enough), and even expect me to be illiterate or ghetto when they have no concept of what ghetto is. If you are an african-american, think twice. Its like you have to change yourself, the way you talk or your personality to fit it. Some may say that is the way the real world is but the difference is that you dont have your black family or friends to come home to every night. You are surrounded 24/7 by those who dont understand. Its hard. My department is helpful and my advisor is amazing so I stayed this long. I will graduate very soon but wouldn't have made the same decision to attend if I could do it all over again.

responseOh noes.
responseFor what it's worth, I'm sorry people had ignorant expectations of you. Rural areas here are pretty special and there's no excuse for that, but there are people here who know better than to be so presumptuous.
Compare NDSUSave NDSU