StudentsReview :: Oakland University

Intelligence
D-
Excess Competition
C
She cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Major: Nursing (This Major's Salary over time)
1) Oakland University is way too expensive for what you get. There are expensive miscellaneous fees that no one knows what they're for even when you call and ask about them.
2) The majority of the people I met there are arrogant, rich kids.
3) I went to a nearby community college (who shall remain unnamed) for nursing after attending Oakland University after taking several nursing prerequisites for their program (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, Writing, Music) and maintaining a 3.2 average there. The community college told me, "Don't bother sending in you Oakland University transcripts. None of the classes will transfer because the skill level is too low" That is a direct quote from the nursing advisor at the nearby community college. I was taking the prerequisites to get into Oakland's nursing program! After 1 year at Oakland and never getting on their nursing wait list (with a 3.2 average), I got on the community college's nursing wait list in my first semester.
4) Oakland University couldn't process my change of address fast enough so they did not give me my mail until they got it right. I e-mailed every influential person I could to try and do something about it and NOTHING EVER HAPPENED.
5) There are 3 sororities at Oakland. A slutty one, a fat one, and a bitchy one. I joined the bitchy one (not knowing it was bitchy and I later cancelled my membership) They are just like high school all over again. Some of the girls are cool but 75% of them are immature, fake girls that will not consider you a "sister" unless you flirt with all the frat boys, look a certain way, and go out and drink every night even when you have an exam in the morning. I guess that's why their average GPA is so low but its the highest of the 3 sororities!
6) My chemistry teacher would say frequently to a lecture hall full of students. "If you don't know this material by now, you should kill yourself." I kid you not. That's what he said and other things along the same lines. He makes all his own rules and notes so don't even bother buying the text book because it won't help you- all of his tests are on HIS way of doing things. If you don't understand his "grandma circle" then you're S.O.L.
7) There is no 24 hour food available on Oakland University's campus other than vending machines. So either stock up on bags of bugels or buy a mini fridge and microwave for your room.
8) Dorm RA's a USELESS. My roommate and I (before I moved into the sorority house) were being harassed by this African American girl down the hall from us. She would write the meanest, nastiest things and pictures on our door whiteboard. I talking to my RA about this COUNTLESS times. But everytime she did NOTHING. We didn't know this girl. We didn't even know who it was until I conducted a stake out to find out who it was. I waited by my door all day and when she thought no one was around, she went for it. But I was behind the door watching her through the peep hole. She wrote something mean about people she'd never even met and RAN away. I wrote a paragraph on my whiteboard warning her that I saw her through the peep hole and I know who she was and what room she was in and that if anything nasty was written on our whiteboard again, I would assume it was her and take "serious action". There was never a nasty thing written on our door again. Well until I moved into the sorority house. I check back in with my old roommate and since I had left, the harassing got worse. They would pour bags of food in front of her door (my old roommate was a little overweight) again write nasty things on her door.

My experience with Oakland University was unpleasant and I would NOT recommend anyone to go there.

Actually there were a few good things:

1) April- a/the nursing counselor is awesome. Extremely helpful and genuinely cares about the students.
2) The Oakland rec center is very nice. The fitness classes are very good too.
3) When the cafeteria was open, the food is very good. With a lot of healthy options.
Get free info from: Oakland University