StudentsReview :: Oakland University - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI
Eastern Michigan University -- Ypsilanti, MI
Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI

Oakland University

I am about to finish up my firstNot so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am about to finish up my first year at Oakland University, and I absolutely love it here. As for all the negative comments, there are a lot of commuters that go here. I myself live on campus, which is probably why I like it so much. Most commuters go to class and then go home without even bothering to make an effort to have fun here. There are a lot of clubs to join for everyone. The parties are usually in the apartments on campus or in the apartments across the street. They're pretty fun, so don't believe it when people say there aren't any parties at OU. The Professors I've had this year are all very enthusiastic and always there to help if you need it. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and they keep building new things. Overall, I love it here and would recommend living on campus if you go here. I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Individual Value: A+, Campus Maintenance: A-
These are my opinions and observations:BrightBiology
These are my opinions and observations:The first week I started OU I was pushed into the revolving doors while leaving Kresge Library by some frat boy and should've known that my time here was going to be bad. Academically, this is a school that I would consider to be relatively easy to get into, it's probably best known for having a good teaching department. If you're planning on majoring in a science/technical based major, I wouldn't recommend attending this school. From what i've experienced and heard, their math/science departments are notoriously bad, I believe the math department has been on probation for an insane amount of time. Many students will take their required math classes at OCC instead, which I would also recommend doing. Now, it's time to talk about the biggest problem at OU and that's the student body. It's based in an affluent,traditional,family centered suburb. The student body is about 76% white and students come from other suburbs or make the long drive from more remote parts of Michigan. It's very quiet and a commuter school, so people don't stick around after class and are impossible to talk to if socializing is important to you. Cliques rule here! People typically stick with the same people that they've known since high school and don't really look to branch out or get to know anyone else. Very snobby, very closed off students. It's even reflected by the staff that work here, I have a disability and have had to sign up with the DSS office and have also had to deal with rude comments about my appearance from people who work in the office adjacent to it. You'd think a DSS office would be a "safe haven" of sorts, wouldn't you? Nope. Not here. I remember sitting in the financial aide office and listening to the secretary there telling three women wearing hijabs that if she had her way she wouldn't give them loans. How's that for being a school that embraces diversity? What would even possess someone to say something so insensitive? Last time I checked, OU also has a really high transfer rate (like around 50% leaves to attend other universities). So, this isn't even the majority of students' #1 school to go to. People may think that a school that lacks so much socially shouldn't be a big deal, but it is. Unfortunately, networking is more important than your GPA, it's about who you know and it's very difficult to network and meet people when a school lacks so much in the social aspect. I chose Oakland because of convenience, now I regret this decision, if I had to choose again I would've attended Wayne or MSU. If you can attend another university please do so.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F
The education is decent, but the social lifeNot so brightPreMed and Medical
The education is decent, but the social life is so small, mostly because its all commuters, and the closest city is like 4 miles away and is tiny. If you're a homebody in the metrodetroit area then it isn't a bad education. if you're not try looking at other universities. Be warned, once you're in a program its hard to get all your classes to transfer out.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A-, Surrounding City: F

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→