StudentsReview :: Oakwood University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
Florida Institute of Technology -- Melbourne, FL
Georgia Southern University -- Statesboro, GA

Oakwood University

Parents, please think twice about sending your childBrightPublic Health
Parents, please think twice about sending your child to this school. I have caught nothing, but hell since I enrolled my daughter in Oakwood. The staff members do not care, they talk to you like you have a tail. If you are lucky to get someone on the phone you will get a different explanation each time. They rarley answer the phone. It is especially hard when you live out of state. when they know you live out of state they really treat you like crap. I am $50,000 in debt and my daughter will not graduate, because they have tact on additional money to her account. she is suppose to graduate May 2015. And guess, what the school do not care. I am so angry at Oakwood. Eventually they will get what they deserve and a class action lawsuit will be filed against the school. I will be the first one to jump on this lawsuit. Parents please I am begging you do not send your child to this school. This is why HBCU's are having so many issues. Oakwood has that Nigg..... attitude that makes all HBCU's look bad. I will never ever send another child to an HBCU's. They will attend a white college. I have another child graduating May 2015 and her school is already in place, with no drama. No run around, they answer the phone each and everytime you call. They return phone calls. Oakwood need to be ashamed of how they treat the students and they need to check their staff members, because they are ignorant, unprofessional, detached, cowards, liars, and down right wrong for their attitudes. Most of the staff should be fired and there needs to be an investagation within the school, of all staff starting with the president on down to the office workers. What they did to my daughter was so wrong. But, it is not over yet. Every Dog Has It's Day. And, Oakwood's day is coming. Oakwood will reap what they sow. Calling themselves a Christian school and then turning around and stealing money and treating the students like crap. OAKWOOD YOU ARE WRONG AND WHATEVER HAPPENS TO THE SCHOOL AND STAFF, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU BROUGHT IT ON YOURSELVES. I PRAY THAT GOD PROTECT THE STAFF THAT IS TRYING TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT, BUT PUNISH THE ONES WHO ARE MISSING USING THEIR POWER. GOD BLESS THE STUDENTS WHO HAVE BEEN EFFECTED BY OAKWOODS UNETHICAL DEALINGS.
5th Year Female -- Class 2015
Social Life: A, Education Quality: F
As far as the atmospheric friendliness, Oakwood isQuite BrightEducation
As far as the atmospheric friendliness, Oakwood is great but everything else is more to be desired. Communication is very poor at Oakwood university. Nothing can get done at Oakwood without getting the "run around" and even when you do get the run around things are never done in a timely manner. It could be days or weeks or sometimes even a month before you get what you need accomplished. Another thing about Oakwood is that a large portion of the faculty does not teach. Yes there are those teachers that are great at teaching and making sure their students understand but I am sorry to inform the others that just merely reading a slide is not teaching. News flash I learned how to read in elementary school. I am not paying thousands of dollars to have you read me some words on a slide or to teach myself a subject. These are just a couple of the many problems at Oakwood university. Like I said before, Oakwood is wonderful for meeting and making new friends, but that is not what people pay for when they pay around $25,000 a year. Would I recommend going to this university? I say no. It is not worth it.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A, Individual Value: D-
I call this school a glorified boarding school.BrightUndecided
I call this school a glorified boarding school. There is assigned curfews and although a religious-based education is offered, it is easy to feel as though you are being gagged by religion and punished financially if you don't adhere to the Worship requirements. This school reprehends its students for tardiness and then do not hold themselves in the same regard. There is also A VERY SERIOUS ORGANIZATIONAL problem, cause on numerous occasion was my account in the system screwed up on this school's behalf. I wish I had more positive things to report on this school, but I can honestly say I am not happy with the fact that I came here, the money, sadness, and depression I obtained from the "Oakwood Way"
1st Year Female -- Class 2016