StudentsReview :: The Colorado Academy of Veterinary Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

The Colorado Academy of Veterinary Technology

This school is a joke and far from

Sep 19 2013Unknown
This school is a joke and far from being qualified to educate future technicians. They have staff members who barely graduated and only hold an associates degree teaching students and she is very selective on who passes her classes and who does not. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone as the classes are NOT worth the tuition you will be paying. If you want a fresh out of college student with little to no on the job experience this is the school for you. If you hate condescending, arrogant and down right self absorbed teachers, than this is NOT the school for you. So angry i wasted a year of my time and money at a school that did not help me achieve my goal.
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F

School has teachers that have not been in

Jun 19 2014Animal Studies
School has teachers that have not been in field for two years. Which is against AVMA protocol for maintaining accreditation. One instructor graduated from the Technician program in October of 2013. She is moody and unpredictable. Also seems to be using an obscene amount of drugs, making her mood unpredictable. She does not even know some extremely basic medical topics such as exercise intolerance. She also highlights on medical records. That is illegal. The program director is crazy. If you are not a kiss-ass, you will have a hard time. Even if you are a good student. So if you are willing to sacrifice your morals, than this is the place for you. She also is the anesthesia teacher. She does not show you how to use an ambu- bag, cat induction box, and offers no hands on in regards to the actual machine other than how to leak check it and where parts are located. She is not a quality teacher in my book. Does not emphasize blood pressure in class, but it is a huge deal in DCP, our school clinic generally held all day Friday. Does not accommodate different learning styles, will just think you are stupid if you don't know the first time. She is not approachable and not trustworthy, what so ever. She has dropped client dogs due to improperly restraining them on a table by holding the leash and not the dog. A student was bitten by a cat once, she made a huge deal about this particular student saying how incompetent the student was to other students. Only to find out in following weeks she too has been bitten by a cat on her index finger and was proud to show people. I have also heard her talking smack about some of my classmates behind their backs. My opinion, help the student, don't hurt the situation by being an ass hole. She will also disclose your family and personal life to other teachers and students without your consent. You will find out from other people that she has disclosed the information. Not OK. This person should not be a program director or teacher. She is in charge of finding you an internship for your 8th quarter. If you are not a kiss ass, expect to find one yourself and get crap for it. I have her my preferences early into my 7th quarter and never heard anything back from her. She did not contact them. I happened to be in touch with a clinic prior to my 7th quarter and they offered me one. The program director was upset because we set it up and not her. Ironically enough, she would not respond to the hospital in regards to a start date for my internship and I magically failed DCP. A class I was not failing the entire quarter. Ironic, right? Oh, and to clear the air, I am a good student. I have not failed a single class the entire time I have attended this school. Until this very last "class". Again, a class I wasn't failing the entire quarter. Her husband is a veterinarian and instructor at the school. A nice guy, but seriously needs to retire. I have literally watched him fall asleep while signing paperwork. It was actually concerning because he is older. He doesn't want to be a teacher there, he wants to retire and he will tell you that to your face. I do not trust him with my animals. He also will get you in trouble in DCP, again the school clinic run by students. If you ask him a question, and do what he says, you will get told by recently graduated instructors not to listen to him cause he is the doctor. This is in many contexts. It is "funny" because he is an instructor of that class too. You are better off getting a better education for the money you pay at PIMA or Bel-rea. Just because one has "cheesy" commercials, doesn't make it a bad school. You will get a better education for your money. Plus, you won't be going back to a high school bitch-fest. They may not be perfect schools either, but at least they can be trusted to have their shift together. Excuse my language, but I have been biting my tongue long enough. Please, do your research before attempting to attend this school. Wait until the current program director is replaced and they have actual instructors that are up to AMVA protocol. Go to AMVA website to read more about accreditation. You won't find anything bad about CAVT on there. People are just now starting to speak up.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014