StudentsReview :: Boston College - Comments and Student Experiences

Boston College

DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU HAVE A

Jun 20 2014Communications
DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU HAVE A PHYSICAL AND/OR LEARNING DISABILITY!!!! I came to BC fresh out of brain surgery and they promised me that I would be registered in the Connors Family Learning Center and that they had a Traumatic Brain Injury Program. I was never registered in either of these programs despite my urgent inquiry and pleas for help. Boston college allowed me to fail, and refused to provide me the help I needed. Please don't make the same mistake I did.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Social Life: A-, Individual Value: F

Horrible school! An absolute

Jun 01 2014English
Horrible school! An absolute cess pool of preppy little bitches who wouldn't know hard work if it jumped up and bit them on the ass. Some of the most close-minded cowards you will ever meet. If I had to choose between suicide and BC, I'd take death. DO NOT EVER COME HERE!!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I'm a rising senior here at Boston College

Jul 29 2014Psychology
I'm a rising senior here at Boston College. I used students review a lot when looking into where I should go to school, so I'm hoping to be of some help to those eagerly scouring the internet for hours trying to decide what college is best for them. Personally, my experience at Boston College has been extremely fulfilling. However, no university is perfect, and Boston College fits that standard.

Social Life: There is no Greek Life here at Boston College and for that, I'm extremely grateful. I think a lot of people hold that opinion about the school. Schools like Dartmouth and Brown do have Greek life, but as you probably know they are places where hazing and sexual assault happen far too frequently. Boston College isn't immune to these things but they happen at a much lower frequency from what I know. There's no social hierarchy here, unless you're a freshman boy. In that case, your social life is going to be limited for about a year, especially if you're living on Newton Campus, which is about a 10 minute bus ride from Main Campus. A lot of my friends made lasting relationships with the guys in their building/on their floor because the social scene is lacking for them until sophomore year. Sophomore year onward, opportunities to party are abundant because the entire sophomore class (save CoRo kids...sorry yall) lives together on Lower Campus with upperclassmen. The thing about the school socially is that it is very group-oriented. I have about 4 different groups of friends. Of course people extend beyond groups, but housing tends to create a circle of 8-10 or so friends who stick together. I have met incredible, wonderful people here at Boston College who will be lifelong friends. The student body likes to joke about how stuck-up, rich, and unapproachable the majority of students are, but to be honest those type of people are a visible minority. People do have a lot of money here and dress up in BRANDS but I am solidly middle class (parents are teachers) and haven't felt uncomfortable or out of place at all. Usually it's too cold to care too much about what I'm wearing haha My impression is that I've liked most people I've met. Moral of the story is that you shouldn't take any scathing assessment or resounding praise about the student population seriously. There are a lot of well-rounded, interesting, and fun people here, but also some people who can be hard to relate to. I know that Boston College has one of the highest rates of eating disorders and a fair rate of mental illness in the country. However, the population of students is high-achieving and perfectionistic by nature. The school provides mental health resources, which I've taken advantage of and appreciated.

Partying: The school is a catholic, jesuit school so its restrictions on drinking are rough. The RA's who live on every floor will end your party if you are underage or playing drinking games. :/ I'd say this is a definite downfall of the school from a student's perspective. The penalty for underage drinking is pretty swift, harsh, and unforgiving. Personally, I'd say it leads to a lot of people pregaming with hard alcohol in their rooms and getting too drunk too quickly.

Food: Good! Lots of variety. Vegetarian options. 5 dining halls and 1 coffee place. Super cool dining hall workers who I love to shoot the shit with. I'd say that BC does food better than a lot of schools I've been to.

Dorms: Freshman year you're in a room with a roommate. Sophomore year you're in an 8-man (8 people, 4 rooms, living room) or on CoRo (a street on middle campus rather than lower campus) where you're in a room with a roommate. Junior year a lot of people live off campus (I didnt live off campus but I know people enjoy it) and senior year it's variable. Although I was given 4 years of housing, I know most people get 3 years of housing and have to live off campus, usually junior year.

Academics: I have had some wonderful professors here and some not wonderful professors here, speaking as someone who is a Political Science/Psychology double major. The thing about this school is that it might have a slight chip on its shoulder, not being an Ivy League. Instead of grade inflation like some of the Ivies have, the grading system is a little bit tougher. I've met a lot of premed kids who are frustrated with the system because getting into med school, or really any grad program is difficult without a stellar GPA. Still, BC is a good school and that's going to open up doors for you. However, if you're considering going to BC and know that it's a bit pricey and you definitely want to go into a grad program afterward, think about going to a state school instead. Jam out, get your 4.0 and go to grad school if that's what you know you want. A 3.5 is a pretty good GPA here for reference.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015