StudentsReview :: Minnesota State University - Mankato - Comments and Student Experiences

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

Minnesota State University - Mankato

Do not come here for any kind ofAverageCivil Engineering
Do not come here for any kind of engineering. The credits are being misrepresented by the department and they fight with ABET. The courses are about 2-3 more credits than registered. The faulty are obsessed with design projects and group work, for their own specific fields of interest. They have no respect for your need to learn core material well or your will to study in peace. The grading is very shady and they will take playing favorites up to the level of outright discriminating against students they don't like. Some graders will do this and I have had a couple of friends that were sexual discriminated against by one of the graders and then threatened for not complying with his ideals. This is a very unhealthy place to go to school and I would have picked a different major or gone to school somewhere else if I knew in advance. Please do not make the mistake I did and place your time or money here.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
The collage is ok, but the community isn't.Average
The collage is ok, but the community isn't. You'll get a degree if you just show up to class. MSU's main problem is its community. My boyfriend is African American and the police stopped us twice walking at the park. Apart ently someone called in a suspicious person. We couldn't go to the bars because people would bump into my boyfriend and tell him to go back to his country; I guess they thought he was Somali-American. We gave up going out and would just order in, but even that! The security guards would come around and accuse us of smoking hookah. They claimed it was part of my boyfriends Culture, but he's not Mussilem he's Christian. Whenever we did go out, people would follow us around and take our picture. I guess if my boyfriend were white we would have had a great time. If your a minority stay away from MSU, stay away from Mankato.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Social Life: F
If you want to be an IT majorBrightComputer Science
If you want to be an IT major specializing in Networking and Security, DO NOT come to MSU. Unless you want to come here to be nothing but a programmer, this campus is horrible. I am in 400 level courses and have not once touched a Cisco router or switch yet! Most of the IT people who are in the networking and security specialization cannot even tell you what a console port is, despite being 4th year students.

To top it off the campus stopped offering one of the 400 level NETWORKING classes I need to graduate under my bulletin, and they suggested that I take a PROGRAMMING course instead! The school does not even have a networking lab setup for students to even see or touch a router or switch. So far in at this campus I have programmed in C++, python, java, C#, SQL, HTML, and MIPS Assembly! I am a networking major! Not a programming major! Over 50% of the professors in the IT dept do not speak English as their first language, and the courses are either so easy anyone can pass, or you have to spend 80 hours a week working on busywork programming assignments just to pull off a C (I cannot tell you how many times I have had to program a freaking bubble sort algorithm in (insert any computer language here) from scratch. The amount you are going to actually LEARN will be very little, and if you are going into networking, you are going to learn next to nothing from the professors. And some of the stuff you will learn, will be wrong and not the way it is actually done in the industry. Like designing web pages using Visual Studio instead of dreamweaver. Be prepared to teach yourself everything!

This school might sound cheap, but their thirst for money is unreal, and you are left wondering where the heck the money you are giving them is going. At least that is how it is for the IT dept, where many of the courses you need are only offered once every two years (so once every two years only 30 students can take the course they need because the school wont offer that class more), and the courses they do offer every year are taught mostly by people who do not speak English, and do not seem to care one way or another if you succeed or fail, and have no interest helping you during your office hours.

As for the people down here...
The people down here are stuck up, arrogant, cliquey, and generally hard to get along with. About the only friends I have been able to make have been the other outcasts like me. You have to look for them, and they won't be hard to spot. They will likely be the only one trying and not stoned or drunk off their ass. Which is another thing. If all you want to do is major in gym or music or something easy like that, and be stoned, drunk, and at the bars your entire career, all while acting like a redneck who claims to love going muddin... then this is the college for you!If you are trying to go into networking, either pick a different (better) school, or save your money and spend it on getting certificates like the CCNA, CCNP, MCSE, etc, they will serve you better than a degree from this campus. I went to a community technical college for a year, and even first year students there could tell you how to setup a basic configuration on a router or switch... fourth year students here cannot even tell you what the difference between a managed and unmanaged switch is.

5th Year Male -- Class 2014