StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

Nov 26 2014Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I recently transferred to UNC, so my comment is partly tailored to that experience. I am an in-state student that did not get into Carolina out of high school, so I went to another in-state school for two years and then transferred. After the long up-hill climb, now I'm here, and I'm thinking maybe it wasn't such a bad thing I didn't get in in the first place. At my other school (which wasn't as elite, but still was good), I really had the ability to stand out. I was the president of organizations, involved in the community, had lots of friends by my sophomore year, etc. Here, in addition to having the feeling of starting all over again as a freshman at my new school, I am not nearly as academically competitive as I was, with my previous 3.75 GPA. But I expected that. What I didn't expect was the excruciating social atmosphere. If you are looking at UNC, as either a first year student, or as a transfer, you should take into account that this school caters to very specific types of personalities and interests. If you aren't within those bounds, or like me, are miles outside of them, prepare to polarized, isolated, and radicalized. I have been in mental and emotional deuress, really, from orientation on up to this day. The coursework is challenging here, but the emotional turmoil created by the academic and social atmosphere has made it significantly harder. To illustrate UNC's social environment, I will describe attributes of students that will probably love it here and do well: activist, academically a genius, no sense of humor, politically correct, judgmental, out to prove a point, try-hard, future moms of America, future boring dads of America, future boring people of America, overly-organized, power-walker, power hungry, wanna-be artist, ready to make a difference in the world by joining corporate America, conformist, pretentious, elitist, matter-of-fact, self-dignified, political, far-left collellectivist, far-right neocon, news-consuming-elitist, science-oriented, business-oriented, corporate-oriented, sports-oriented. Obviously, not everyone fits all of these categories, but I just wanted to illustrate some of the general vibes you will get. If you fit into a lot of the above categories, then maybe you'd love UNC! However, if you don't, or if you're like me and you're interested in going into the arts, you might want to look elsewhere. I see a lot of people calling UNC 'artsy'. Hahahahahahaha. That is laughable. UNC is not artsy, UNC is anti-art. They do however love sports, science, and lots and lots of soul-crushing, passion-extinguishing work. At orientation you will be told that 'following you passion' is BS. If you're looking in-state for more art friendly environments, UNCSA or UNCG may be better fits. And if you didn't get in to UNC from the get-go, that may have just been a sign that this was not a good fit for your personality. Why be miserable? Go somewhere where you will be valued and can let your colors shine. That denial letter may be the best thing that ever happened to you.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Individual Value: F
Oct 26 2014Economics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Of course, like every university, UNC has its problems, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years at Carolina thus far. I'm currently an OOS Senior from Maryland and chose Carolina over many options--UVA, U Michigan, UCLA, and Boston College??and am so happy I did. The students are smart, approachable, and down-to-earth, and most professors I've had have been great. I would highly recommend. Also, Carolina alum are some of the most loyal alumni and not just for getting a job instate. As somebody who wants to either move to NYC or DC post-graduation, there are MANY alumni that are willing (and want to) help.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
Aug 08 2014Language - French/Spanish/etc.
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Don't expect much help from anyone outside professors. General faculty such as department heads, financial aid, advising, hate their jobs. I have screenshots of downright rude comments from faculty members when trying to get help navigating the outdated systems that they still have in place. No one answers phone calls. If your professor is a general education professor, expect the same. They are rude and condescending as if they are too good to teach a general education class. Generally the higher the class number, the more helpful and friendly that professor will be.If you are not from a wealthy family, you will have a harder time fitting into the student body. Most student are from a higher socioeconomic class and they know it. But there are so many students it's not difficult to find someone to be friends with.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015