StudentsReview :: The State University of New York Purchase College - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY
Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY

The State University of New York Purchase College

I finish my first year at Purch as

Jun 17 2014Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I finish my first year at Purch as a graphic design student and I absolutely loved it. Here's some advice for incoming freshman: GET INVOLVED. PLEASE, GET INVOLVED. This is your school! make it yours. There is this place called The Stood. It's a student ran organization/ building on campus. there are music shows every weekend, art shows/openings, and all sorts of cool stuff. we're all a loving group of crazies. come on through friday night!
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B-

SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices

Oct 07 2013Art & Design Department
SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices and I am extremely happy I have attended. Our campus is known to be ugly, but it really does not feel that way and if you really need a change of scenery we are about 45 minutes outside New York City. As a member of the DT Program it has been a very wonderful experience and has challenged me in all of the right ways. Definitely give this school a shot because i love it.
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B-

I need to leave now

Oct 19 2013Art & Design Department
I need to leave now. I am a freshman in the school of Art + Design and although the program there is top notch, I can't finish my freshman year here. "We are only 1/2 an hour away from NYC" my ass. I am a commuter from the city (the Bronx). It takes me two hours everyday to get to campus (subway, metro north, Purchase Loop). That is four hours a day commuting, which becomes a problem when considering the shop and lab hours in the Visual Arts Building are mainly in the night. Again I can't complain about the quality of teaching in the VA but it is definitely not a commuter friendly program.

Neither is the rest of the campus either. The commuter lounge is a little ringy dink room in Campus Center North aka The Hub (a eatery on Campus where the food is comparable to fast food places at a mall). The Purchase Loop is supposed to come every hour. More often than not, it is very late and barely if at all sticks by the bus' schedule. If you miss the bus, pray it is not past 7 pm so that the 12 beeline can get you off campus.Which everyone does on the weekend. They either go home or simply spend their time away from the square, dull brown, extremely ugly campus buildings. Their monotone color scheme just brings out the blandness of this campus, which was by the way designed by a prison architect. But don't worry, they are renovating it! You will get to here the construction everyday while walking or participating in class! Enjoy......

Education Quality: A-, Individual Value: F