StudentsReview ™ :: The State University of New York Purchase College - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY
Alfred State College SUNY College of Technology -- Alfred, NY

The State University of New York Purchase College

I need to leave now

Oct 19 2013Art & Design Department
I need to leave now. I am a freshman in the school of Art + Design and although the program there is top notch, I can't finish my freshman year here. "We are only 1/2 an hour away from NYC" my ass. I am a commuter from the city (the Bronx). It takes me two hours everyday to get to campus (subway, metro north, Purchase Loop). That is four hours a day commuting, which becomes a problem when considering the shop and lab hours in the Visual Arts Building are mainly in the night. Again I can't complain about the quality of teaching in the VA but it is definitely not a commuter friendly program.

Neither is the rest of the campus either. The commuter lounge is a little ringy dink room in Campus Center North aka The Hub (a eatery on Campus where the food is comparable to fast food places at a mall). The Purchase Loop is supposed to come every hour. More often than not, it is very late and barely if at all sticks by the bus' schedule. If you miss the bus, pray it is not past 7 pm so that the 12 beeline can get you off campus.Which everyone does on the weekend. They either go home or simply spend their time away from the square, dull brown, extremely ugly campus buildings. Their monotone color scheme just brings out the blandness of this campus, which was by the way designed by a prison architect. But don't worry, they are renovating it! You will get to here the construction everyday while walking or participating in class! Enjoy......

Education Quality: A-, Individual Value: F

SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices

Oct 07 2013Art & Design Department
SUNY Purchase was one of my top choices and I am extremely happy I have attended. Our campus is known to be ugly, but it really does not feel that way and if you really need a change of scenery we are about 45 minutes outside New York City. As a member of the DT Program it has been a very wonderful experience and has challenged me in all of the right ways. Definitely give this school a shot because i love it.
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B-

Purchase is a school that thinks "Wide Open"

Jun 07 2013Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Purchase is a school that thinks "Wide Open". The school has a lot to offer by having four different Conservatories in the Arts and over twenty Liberal Arts degrees to choose from. The student life is extremely diverse here and there are a wide variety of clubs to join, i.e.. LGBTQu, LatinoUnidos, Cheese Club and many more. The Arts Conservatories are some of the best in the state and the facilities rank best among the country. The school is 30 minutes outside of Manhattan but has a ton of acreage to roam around on campus.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015