StudentsReview :: Kent State University Kent - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 14
Females 8
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.0
Research Quality B- (5.9)
Research Availability B- (6.1)
Research Funding C+ (5.3)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.5)
Not Errand Runners B- (5.9)
Degree Completion B (6.5)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.5)
Sufficient Pay B (6.7)
Competitiveness C+ (5.3)
Education Quality B- (6.3)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.4)
Useful Research B- (6.3)
"Individual" treatment C (4.9)
Friendliness C+ (5.3)
Safety B (6.6)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.5)
Campus Maintenance B- (5.9)
University Spending B- (6.1)
Extracurriculars B (6.9)
Scholastic Success B- (6.4)
Surrounding City C+ (5.7)
Social Life/ Environment C+ (5.7)
"Individual" treatmentC
Campus BeautyB+
Worst experience of mySep 13 2016School of Information
Worst experience of my life. Many of my professors were useless and tried as hard as possible not to teach and the administration, Matthew Rollyson especially was the most worthless human being in existence. I despise this school. They don't give a crap about any of the students.
I joined the school's User Experience degree programFeb 08 2016School of Information
I joined the school's User Experience degree program just last semester. I could take only 2 online classes and due personal reasons had to defer 1 of the course to this semester. The quality of the 1 class I took last semester and the quality of current faculty is very poor quality. The previous faculty never responded and still has not fixed my grade issue despite I have tried contacting her several times. This current faculty might be good at his job other than teaching because he is not a faculty - being SME is one thing and its a whole different ball game to be able to teach what you know. If i have to go through powerpoint and read articles on the internet and books, I have been doing it without the loan amount that is absolutely waste on Kent university. Even if UXD is a fairly new field, it is no excuse for not being a teacher. I have taught under grad lasses, my husband is a teacher and my dad was a professor and I know what teacher quality is. A teacher never ever leaves a comment without giving explanation to the student why he/she left such comment, how and where the student can improve - this is teaching 101. Be it graduate level or under grad level, there is a reason we join university - to learn. Credibility of the staff at least in this program is despicable and kent state should be ashamed of their poor quality of teachers and setup. They need to learn from Coursera.org how to create and setup courses. Also, they should make sure the faculty is not someone who has been just working in the field but has the knack for teaching. A person who knows 50 percent material and can teach all the knowledge to be a better teacher than who is all SME and doesn't have the skills to teach it all.I truly feel cheated and feel I was promised the moon but got the dirt - not a penny's worth. Kent should be ashamed of themselves.
As a former student and faculty member atJan 17 2016Nursing
As a former student and faculty member at Mason I can assure you that the University is one of the worst in the United States. More than one third of the tenured faculty are over 65 and the University uses over 1,000 adjunct faculty to provide substandard teaching. The President came from an Arizona Business School that was going into the toilet and wormed his way into Mason where he surrounds himself with those who will not challenge his fragile ego or do anything to make him look bad. The administrators are poor and the whole place is in terrible debt due to years of overbuilding, overspending, and poor decision making.
My experience at KSU has been mostly negativeFeb 14 2014English
My experience at KSU has been mostly negative. I was told it would be hard to get an assistantship, but I was unaware that meant impossible. I have a friend who just got a teaching position in her fourth year of Ph.D. here. Several of my fellow students were incredibly qualified, charismatic individuals who were passed up for students that had no interest in future teaching and had received negative reviews in practice teaching sessions. Administration put a number of holds on me that were all baseless, my favorite being when they messed up whether or not my undergraduate transcripts said I had earned my degree, and thought I had yet to attend classes. I had been there almost a year. The English classrooms were cold in the winter, had incredibly loud HVAC units, and failing technology. As for classes? The majority of my fellow students are 20th Century American Lit specialists who had to claw and bite to get into the few and far between American Lit courses. I took two classes with a pop culture focus in my time here, one was excellent and the other useless. The professors ranged from uninterested to incompetent. In my time at KSU I met three professors that seemed to care about their students at all, and they were over-shadowed by their lesser colleagues. In retrospect I should have broadened my original search and chosen a school that actually cared about its students.
I LOVE Kent State,Nov 05 2013Psychology
I LOVE Kent State, and I am proud of earning a Ph.D from there. Kent State is undoubtedly;one of the most underrated school ever. It is friendly to international students, and its research strength and quality enables me to be successful as a school/educational psychologist in Taiwan.
International Student in physiologyAug 23 2013Biology
International Student in physiology. Getting a TAship is almost guaranteed if you apply on time. The stipend amount is enough to live off. ~20k.

The department in bio is really friendly, great atmosphere, labs share and get along, not super competitive like other locations. Some people do not graduate with a phD. But those that do, deserved it and worked hard for it.The faculty generally shield the grad students from the bureaucratic nonsense inherent in any college/university. They just built a ton of restaurants in Kent so there's actually stuff to do. Clubs are a little weird and restrictive, but the gym is really awesome.

I went to KSU as an out-of-state studentJun 05 2012English
I went to KSU as an out-of-state student for my Master's because they gave me the largest stipend, but this is not saying much, because it was largely not enough to live on. Throughout the course of my time there, I engaged in a 2 month battle with the Bursar's office over them charging me tuition on a class I switched out of in order to add thesis hours, was dropped from graduation due to a "glitch" in the computer which resulted in running around for days trying to secure tickets a week before the ceremony, not being included in the commencement booklet due to their error, being dropped from a class twice while I was studying abroad for 4 weeks in the summer because someone back home was not doing my stipend paperwork correctly, and had the "chair" of my department tell me point blank that she would not even listen to my thesis proposal or be part of my committee. The laundry list of things that KSU did that were irritating, troubling and just plain awful that created more work for both myself and fellow classmates was ridiculous.
Nov 11 2011Physics
The entire 2008/2009 graduate class failed or left the program. Something is wrong, but the faculty will not admit it.
Aug 13 2010Computer Science
Uni is what you make of it. Kent is a good school.
In trying to apply to the graduate programAug 03 2010Communications
In trying to apply to the graduate program at Kent. I got little if no help. Called for a Graduate advising appointment, they gave me an undergraduate advisor who knew couldn't answer any of my questions. Told me to come back and talk with a graduate advisor, which is who I made the appointment with. Left messages, emails and weeks have gone by and have not heard back. Very disappointed. Not going here, for obvious reasons.
I studied Library and Information Sciences at aJul 23 2010School of Information
I studied Library and Information Sciences at a distance learning center. About half of the instructors made me feel like they were in a hurry to get the class over with. The other half seemed genuine, and they seemed to like their job somewhat. There were two or three instructors that were arrogant and rude. I mean outright rude, like saying "that was a stupid question," or "it's 'Dr.' to you." Complete pricks. I remember one of the female teachers making another student walk up and leave crying, the instructor made some really crude remark that embarrassed the student. I earned a 3.94 GPA in the course, but I think besides the raw class material offered, the instructors and the part of the college they represented were poor. My academic adviser WOULD NOT reply to my emails and phone calls. He was the worst adviser I ever experienced in college. I did not like Kent State University at all. The ordering of books was a nightmare, and the campus bookstore never had our damn books. I had to go down the street to an off campus book store to get books. For near $600 a semester hour, the college sucked. I went to Lorain County Community College for $59 a semester hour, and I feel that college was superior to Kent. The instructors at LCCC were always available. They had fun events on campus. LCCC faculty took time after class, and they were far from arrogant and pressed for time. Kent State is the only library school in Ohio that I know of, so I kind of was forced to go there. I also got into grad school without the GRE,SAT, or any other admissions tests.
I completed my undergraduateApr 06 2009Anthropology
I completed my undergraduate at Kent and due to financial reasons I continued for my masters. Kent is a terrible school, and if you have the opportunity to attend anywhere else, please do so!
I am an internationalJul 31 2004Psychology
I am an international doctorate graduate student from Taiwan. It is a good univesity, which provides me a solid research foundation. It is a pity that KSU is not well-known in my country. I give this university an A-.
My graduate program wasAug 14 2003Education
My graduate program was great for me at the time. It's provided a solid foundation upon which I have built my career. I continue to work in the field where I completed my graduate studies.
Research Topic(s): n/a