StudentsReview :: Kent State University Kent - Comments and Student Experiences

Ohio State University Columbus -- Columbus, OH

Kent State University Kent

Kent is a unique animal.Quite Bright
Kent is a unique animal. It's a very regional university, it's basically the State school of Northeast Ohio and the Cleveland Area and an alternative for people from Pittsburg as the school is closer to Pittsburgh, PA then it is to Columbus, OH. I Transferred to Kent from a university in Columbus (Not OSU) and loved my time at Kent. I was an aviation major, which Kent holds one of the best programs in in the midwestern US. Honestly Kent is not for everyone its in the snowbelt, and Northeastern Ohio culture reigns which being an Ohian is normal for me so I don't care, but some might. Some reviews say people are "like the walking dead" on campus. What it really is is that people go to school at Kent, they don't go to be super prideful. Most of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio is raised Ohio State Buckeye fans in terms of athletics. Kent is really good at Baseball, Wrestling, Golf and some other non money making sports, and when I say good I mean, they make All-Americans year in and year out, they're just not a football school at all and their basketball team gets to the NCAA tournament about once or twice a decade. Basketball games drew a nice number of students as the gym was in the middle of campus. The campus is incredibly safe, It positioned in a way where there is one road that passes through a forest on one side of the campus and on the other side of campus the city of Kent rests. the only way you end up on Kent States campus is if you want to be there. Someone doesn't just "end up" there. I would go on 2AM runs all the time training to make the track team and I felt extremely safe. The Kent State Police are everywhere, the Kent City police are too and you see the Sherriff's deputies around. They get bored and will get take you down for illegal activity. Aka keep your party lowkey and you'll have no issues. Kent Has some amazing programs, they invented liquid crystals that now make our modern TVs. They're the #3 fashion school in the USA after ones in NYC and L.A. and have a fashion show every year with top designers, their architecture program is amazing (the students don't sleep) and some other programs are top notch as well. But Kent is in the middle range of US Universities. It's not Harvard and it's not Stanford. If you want some place to just scream from the rooftops and brag about a name go elsewhere. But if you want a solid education with opportunities all over Northeast Ohio once you graduate. Kent is great school, If you want to learn and are willing to work you'll find Kent will help you get where you want to go.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Scholastic Success: A+, Campus Maintenance: B
The Student conduct blowsBrightCriminal
The Student conduct blows and the punishment will be way over dramatic compared to what you go into trouble for. and everyone is hard to get in contact with. 11/10 don't recommend
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
Collaboration/Competitive: A-, Education Quality: F
I am a senior at Kent State graduatingQuite BrightOther
I am a senior at Kent State graduating in the fall. With my experience here at Kent in the exercise science program, I have made great friends through classes and multiple organizations I was able to do while I lived on campus since I was not from the northern part of the state. My professors within the major have taught us what they are to teach us, but I could have learned much more in my degree then becoming a personal trainer.. eapecially since my concentration was in Pre-Physical Therapy, and we are not taught anything about it. Our president Bev Warren really cares for the students at Kent, but sadly she has to answer to the idiots above her running the university. The campus is taken care of well, for the most part, but that's about all I can say that would be positive about this university. Every single semester here at Kent I have run into issues with the financial aid and bursars office. Whether it is them telling me that I have received all the financial aid I needed then a week prior to the payment being due telling me I owe thousands of dollars. It seems like everybody who I have worked with from those departments do not care for any student there because there are so many of us. Along with this, the individuals running residence services don't seem to know what they are doing. If you want to become a resident assistant, yes, it is very rewarding and fun, but you will most likely be treated like shit by those above you. Prices are too high, several of the buildings need fixed up, but instead waste it on making campus look "pretty". If you can afford it and are social, it is a good place for you so you don't have to deal with any of the departments personally. If you half to though, I would recommend looking elsewhere. If I had done so, I would have gone to Ohio University in a heart beat. The program seemed better and I absolutely loved the campus, but I quite honestly was a stupid senior coming out of high school. The university says if you take 15 credit hours a semester, you will graduate on time, but if I had done so, I would have graduated a semester late. I have gotten screwed out of taking classes when I could have, and I have had to take summer classes for 2 years and I am still graduating a semester late. I could go into much more detail, but this is already rather long.
4th Year Male -- Class 2017