StudentsReview :: Vanderbilt University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 9
Females 6
Males 3
Avg years at University 2.0
Research Quality A- (8.3)
Research Availability A- (8.3)
Research Funding A- (8.6)
Graduate Politics B+ (7.5)
Not Errand Runners B+ (7.7)
Degree Completion A (9.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B+ (8.0)
Sufficient Pay B+ (7.7)
Competitiveness B+ (7.9)
Education Quality B (7.1)
Faculty Accessibility A- (8.3)
Useful Research A- (8.1)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.1)
Friendliness B (7.0)
Safety B+ (8.0)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.7)
Campus Maintenance A (9.0)
University Spending A- (8.2)
Extracurriculars A- (8.6)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.6)
Surrounding City A- (8.1)
Social Life/ Environment B+ (7.7)
"Individual" treatmentB-
Degree CompletionA
Know you are getting into an advanced programJul 01 2020Nursing
Know you are getting into an advanced program. The pace is very fast and there is no time to accommodate your personal life events or illnesses. Keep your head down and do not bring up a different ideology to the "liberal bubble" of Vanderbilt. The education is very great if you get the right clinical placements. Overpriced, but you are paying for a top 10 school. Instructors are terrific until you have an "issue" with a subjective grade or a professor. You will do great if you truly take this advice to heart.
Vanderbilt has been a thorn in my sideJun 20 2013Nursing
Vanderbilt has been a thorn in my side since the day that I started with them. I had a difficult time getting into the school, not because of my grades, but because they kept losing my application materials. The class quality is sufficient and I'm learning, but as a distance learner they impose ridiculous impositions such as learning about the hazardous material disposal and fire evacuations at their hospital, etc. (hours of computer based learning, might I add). The mandatory health insurance that Vanderbilt applies to your bill was not waived because the coverage I do have isn't valid in TN. (I live in the midwest where my insurance IS valid.) i can't speak to their campus programs, but if you're interested in Vanderbilt's online-distance learning program, take your interest elsewhere and save yourself a lot of problems. While their programs are interesting and attempt to cater to the adult learner, their application is poor and clearly they don't care about inconvenience to the students that support the university.
My experience with the field of International EducationApr 28 2011Other
My experience with the field of International Education Policy and Management program at Vanderbilt University was very miserable. There are two people running the program, Prof. Brian Heuser and Prof. Steve Heyneman. Both act, as if they have better things to do rather than teach students and help them with different issues. It's impossible to get on their calendars. Their research and other consulting projects are far more important than students. No guidance, no instruction, no career support!!!!! Many students come to the program because of the experience and connections of Prof. Henyeman (22 years at World Bank) however, having this high-profile person in the program is only a decoration. He is too busy going on the trips on his other consulting projects, rather than helping students. The program has a large percent of foreign students (50%) and such attitude is unacceptable. I don't know any student in our cohort who Prof. Heyneman has helped through his network. No career support whatsoever. When you come to the program, you are told "My friendships are getting old, you have to find internships and jobs yourself, I will not help you". I come from a third world country but I felt that I received more attention from my professors, and I was more challenged intellectually at my school at home than in this program at Vanderbilt.
Overall it is a good schoolMar 15 2009Biology
Overall it is a good school. Good for undergraduate study. Graduate school is also very good. Research is solid. However, for the graduate study, you have to carefully choose a good adviser. Some professors mislead graduate students to superficial things and guide the students in wrong direction. Students are hard working and capable but still hard to find job after graduation. It is because personality fostered does not fit the society.
One day I will learn my lesson thatJan 03 2006Nursing
One day I will learn my lesson that labels are reserved for clothing and not education. The ranking of Vanderbilt University and the actual quality of education have NOTHING to do with one another. Though the chancellor is attempting to "diversify" the narrow-minded, conservative, southern student body by importing northeast Jews; the nearly all blond, Louis Vuitton toting crowd stultifies in it's lack of diversity and frightens in it's xenophobia. The graduate program in Nursing is merely about proving you can jump a multitude of hoops and has nothing to do with education. It is highly disorganized and is suffering from a major lack in communication between faculty, administration and students. When I queried a faculty member about the fact that every month, 6 exams and 5 papers were scheduled within the same week, he replied; "Well you don't expect us to sit around a table and ask each other when we are testing!" The attitude for success as explained to me by my faculty advisor is "Kiss up and shut up!" Vanderbilt likes to delude it's students into believing they are attending the Harvard of the South; but this is akin to confusing Paris, Texas with the city of lights.
Vanderbilt University