StudentsReview :: Vanderbilt University - Comments and Student Experiences

Emory University -- Atlanta, GA
Duke University -- Durham, NC

Vanderbilt University

I read all the negative reviews, and IBrightPolitical Science
I read all the negative reviews, and I have to say, these people have a point: there are a lot of gorgeous people there and there is a lot of partying. Still.

I had a great time at Vanderbilt. I learned a lot, and after kids, I taught myself a new discipline with help from the university librarian. My academic advisor was way up in the faculty and he was accessible to me, my parents and was willing to take risks to let me get what I wanted out of my major. (Actually cut me loose on an international program so that I could travel alone for a week in rural Spain -- that would probably not happen now..............but it was AWESOME! )

There are a lot of rich, white, beautiful people here. There are sororities and fraternities. I was in one. I loved it. The most beautiful and intimidating person I ever saw in my life (to this day) three weeks into my freshman year turned out to be my maiden of honor and my daughter's godmother. I had to extend myself here and develop my self confidence. It paid off.

I was ready for the work world, the dating world, the shallow work the system world -- all those "worlds" out there. Vanderbilt is a microcosm of the Southern Universe, but as time goes on and experiences begin to even out, I learned a lot here that had absolutely nothing to do with academics that I would not exchange for anything.

Academics were fine for me -- they can be a mixed bag. I was not a math/science person so I did not have to deal with TA's that could not speak English, though that can be a problem from what I understand. I had some really terrific professors in the liberal arts -- very accessible -- we ate at their houses, went on trips together, hung out at lunch, and were easy to talk to. My fine arts, Spanish, and Latin American Studies professors were all very engaging. I did not take a lot of survey courses. I AP'd out. I had a good academic experience.

I would send a child here.

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B
Apparently, no alums have commented.Quite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Apparently, no alums have commented. I did not read other reviews. I interview for the university.
Vanderbilt's reputation has changed a good deal since I graduated and it is much harder to get into now than it was in the 80's. It's worth it.

The best thing about Vanderbilt is the community of students and the worst thing about Vanderbilt is leaving. I never miss a reunion, keep up with my friends, learned how to teach myself anything, and was a saavy new grad. I got job offers in Madrid, Spain, NYC, and Boston.

I run my own business now and have the best of both worlds. I have a career I really enjoy, but I can manage my time to be with my kids. As a college applicant, that might not mean that much, but Vanderbilt put me in the driver seat.

Drawbacks: It's expensive.
Fact: The Greek system, though not as dominant as it used to be, is a force on campus. Vanderbilt is full of beautiful people. Southern manners are an influence. Big plusses: The music scene is killer. You'll make friends for life if you want to. The Commons is not like any kind of freshman living situation I've seen anywhere else. Smart friends.

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B
Vanderbilt is a wonderful school.BrightEconomics
Vanderbilt is a wonderful school. I originally never thought I would be caught dead attending Vanderbilt. However, choosing Vanderbilt was the best decision ever. The financial aid is the best you'll find anywhere, seriously. The people here are very friendly. You can literally start a conversation with any random person. The professors are extremely approachable, and encourage students to go to office hours. The resources Vanderbilt offers are way more than you'll be able to use in one year. The PCC is there to help you gain better study skills. The study abroad and maymester programs provide various alternative locations to study. There are so many organizations on camus, that you'll definitely find your niche somewhere, and even if you don't, you can always make it. The resouorces to help you are endless, you just have to reach out for them. Your decision to come to Vanderbilt will be the best you've ever made in your life. It's really that great.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Innovation: A-
Vanderbilt University

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→