StudentsReview :: The College of William and Mary - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 2
Males 0
Avg years at University 3.0
Research Quality B (7.1)
Research Availability C+ (5.5)
Research Funding C+ (5.0)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.0)
Errand Runners C+ (5.5)
Degree Completion C+ (5.5)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.0)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.0)
Competitiveness B+ (7.5)
Education Quality B (7.1)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.0)
Useful Research A (9.6)
"Individual" treatment B- (5.9)
Friendliness A- (8.8)
Safety A- (8.8)
Campus Beauty A (9.6)
Campus Maintenance A (9.2)
University Resource/spending A- (8.3)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.0)
Success-Understanding B (7.1)
Surrounding City C+ (5.0)
Social Life/Environment B- (6.3)
Research FundingC+
Useful ResearchA

Ratings of universities DO NOT MATTER

Jan 27 2011Education
Ratings of universities DO NOT MATTER. Go meet the teachers, and make a serious review of all classes offered in your program. If the teachers are overly friendly, beware...it is likely a trap. If the classes appear to be poorly differentiated from each other in the course catolog, or suspiciously similar once you get there, run like hell.

I took 10 classes at W&M school of Ed, and here is the breakdown:

1. 3 classes were basically the same class with different titles
2. 2 classes required so much busywork that I was barely able to explore and engage with the material, which was crucial to my major

3. 1 class had no purpose whatsoever, anywhere, for any reason
4. 1 class, which was also crucial to my major, was taught so poorly I am unable to summarize the stupidity here

5. 3 classes would have been okay, but there were like 30 people in each class, and/or the teachers were terribly overworked, engaged in their own projects, OR FLATOUT LAZY AS HELLYes, it is a nice campus. Yes, they have a new building. Yes, they have gotten decent reviews in suspicious magazines. Yes, they may mention having a laid back atmosphere (Translation: We so lazy?), but trust me, IT IS NOT WORTH IT...ASK THE STUDENTS YOU MEET AT NEW STUDENT RECRUITMENTS/MIXERS SPECIFIC QUESTIONS ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE CLASSES AND PROGRAMS, AND WATCH THEIR REACTIONS CLOSELY...AND ASK TO SPEAK TO CURRENT STUDENTS WHO WERE NOT ASKED TO ATTEND THE MIXERS.

Research Topic(s): ARGGGG

I have been trying to get my thesis

Jul 10 2008Archaeology
I have been trying to get my thesis approved for 6 months - every time I go to them there are more revisions. Let it die, it's done already! AND it's "only an M.A." as they kept telling me, not a PhD. It's already 83 pages, 30-some of which are appendicised sections I was told to put in and later to remove.
Research Topic(s): The Coffee house
Dec 09 2003Business - Management and Administration

Better than some ivy's...great school. Up there with Yale...